Urban Science Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 7, 2014
Updated Jun 7, 2014

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Urban Science.

I applied through internet and got a voice message after 3 or 4 weeks to make an appointment for phone screen, and I called back to make an appointment, but a HR person asked me all the questions right away. I wasn't really prepared, and I just got out from a gym, so the phone screen didn't go well.

Other Interview Reviews for Urban Science

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Urban Science in February 2014.

Met the HRs at a career fair. Got an email within 1 week from Urban Science for a campus interview on Feb 21, 2014.

The interviewers were friendly. It was a fun interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the box. Questions asked -
      1. What do you know about this company?
      2. Tell me about yourself?
      3. Did you ever have a conflict with one of your teammates? How did you resolve it?
      4. What are the different clauses in sql ? (Eg. where, in , not in, exists etc.)
      5. Difference between left and right outer join?
      6. What are the steps you follow for SQL Optimization? Can you give me an example where you have optimized a query? (I had sql optimization on my resume)

THey did not ask me any puzzle or fermi question(how many cars were sold in the US etc.).

I have another on site round scheduled for later this week.
        Answer Question
    This is the first step. I still have to go for the final round.

Associate Interview

First there was a phone interview that consisted of entirely computer based questions on Excel, VBA, and SQL. Then I was brought in for a face to face interview which consisted of a 2 hour long process with 4 different people all at different times. The first one was just the basic HR rep, the 2nd was two guys that drilled me on Excel, VBA, and SQL questions. They watched me do things on the computer in order to ask the questions they wanted. The last two guys were just other people who worked in the same group that were higher up and wanted to just basically ask me basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me where stuff was located in excel. It was actually hidden and contained a password. Thought that it was a bit unfair of a question to ask. I knew it was hidden, but since they didn't tell me there was a password involved I never even thought of it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Urban Science in March 2013.

If I had to sign on to a company based only on experience with HR, it would definitely be Urban Science. In my experience, recruiters don't seem to know much beyond what's on the job description sheet in front of them and can rarely answer specific or technical questions related to the job. This woman was friendly, helpful, and extremely informative about the company, their history, the positions available, and where I might best fit in. She knew her stuff backwards and forwards. She was actually so enthusiastic about the company that I started to feel the same way. Unfortunately, the rest of the process was pretty tiring and I quickly realized what awaited me on the other end was nothing to be excited about, especially give all the GlassDoor employee reviews (which I'd come to rely on quite heavily).

Interviewers were nice, genial people and they all seemed to have a good rapport. They fired question after question - some were standard, behavioral questions ("Tell us about a difficult boss and how you dealt with the situation," "Tell us about a leadership role"); some were thought-provoking and difficult but fun, brain-teaser type questions (if you don't like brain teasers or puzzles, don't interview here). The interviewers were friendly and easy to engage with, but I got a sense they were all on a bit of an interview power trip. My advice if you're interviewing here is to be confident in your intelligence and don't be afraid to pause and then think out loud. If you make sure to be clear about your thought process, the interviewers will appreciate your answers.

In terms of interviews, these were engaging, fun, and medium-stress level. The tests were a little excessive, but nothing to worry about mentally. Overall, the process was a little too pretentious for the ratings they seem to be getting on this site and comments elsewhere. I don't mind - and was prepared for - tough, brain-teaser type questions (and you should be, too). But in my experience, a company shouldn't be asking Microsoft/Google-caliber interview questions if they don't have/can't offer something on the other end to live up to. Don't ask creative questions if you can't offer a creative work environment.

Another big issue was that they asked for my undergraduate and graduate transcripts very early on - before the initial phone screening - which is very unusual. Yet it wasn't until after the phone screening and multiple in-person interviews that they even took notice of my college career (over a decade ago). I was actually the one who pointed out a couple questionable grades in my college records and then they suddenly acted like it was a big point of contention. I wanted to be honest and upfront but I also assumed they had looked at the documents I had sent weeks earlier, which they all had in front of them during my interviews. I think it's funny that I had to bring it to their attention before they decided to hold me into question, and it's also ironic that I was held under the microscope for a few bad grades when their own employees give them a 2.5/5 rating (that's a failing grade by university standards, by the way).

This company seems to be quite focused on employing intelligent people who think outside of the box, but it doesn't appear that this ideal throughout the company. If you're all about hiring smart, creative people, you need to allow them some autonomy in their work. Either utilize the creativity you're so dead-set on acquiring and harvesting or stop trying to intimidate potential candidates.

Interview Questions
    • How many refrigerators were sold in the US last year and how would you go about finding the answer?   View Answer

I was extended a job offer by Urban Science that was slightly below market for my education and experience level, and when I brought into account the commute and the fact that after one year I'd be relocated to work on-site at a car dealership (instead of in an office with a team), I declined the offer. But to reiterate - in case anyone from Urban Science is reading this (which I have to assume they aren't, given the terrible in-company reviews and the fact that they haven't seemed to do anything to reverse employee satisfaction) - you have an excellent HR department. Strive to live up to their enthusiasm and you'll get what you're looking for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Science.

Interview process was pretty standard. My interview lasted about two and a half hours and I was interviewed by four people plus the HR managers. Questions were reasonable. They asked me about my technical skill while I could feel that they were gauging my people and business skills. Received an off the next day.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions regarding indexing structures in SQL databases. These days they even give out a technical quiz.   Answer Question
    They made me an offer, I held out for a slightly better offer. They met me halfway.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Urban Science in October 2011.

The recruiter was very pleasant, informative and encourging. She was very patient and understanding. She had an accent but was easy to understand. She asked good questions and rephrased the questions if I wasn't quite understanding them or needed help. The technical questions were all SQL related, some easy some a little harder but a fair exploration of my skills in that area. She also asked me about my experience in OOP, nothing too indepth just a sort of self evaluation. She said more technical questions would follow at the interview. She also said that their may be a test involved at the interview but nothing too difficult and that they don't expect you to get everything right. They like to see how you think. The company specializes in analytics and develops proprietary software. Most of their customers are in the auto industry. They have lots of international sites and tend to promote from within. She said that they have their own on line University to get certified in areas that will help in career.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Science in September 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter to do an interview screening. The screening was short and consisted of 5 quick technical questions. After the screening, I received another phone call asking if I would like to schedule an onsite interview. Also, in that conversation, the recruiter asked me questions about my technical background and prior employment which was used later to tailor the interpersonal skill, team work, and technical portions of my interview.

The first interview was in front of three senior managers who each had different responsibilities in the company. Each manager was friendly and had his/her own concerns with my background that was prepared for them. After the interview, each manager was eager to answer questions pertaining to the role, the company, or their role.

Second interview consisted of a mixed group of managers with the same interview format.

Positives: Quick response compared to other companies that have you wait for weeks. Interviewers were encouraging and helpful when I seemed troubled during some problems. Having been on many interviews, it was a relief to be interviewed by a company that focuses heavily on your interpersonal skills as well as your technical knowledge which gave me a good feeling about the culture; no egos, family feeling, and everybody loves their role. Technical questions were questions that a software engineer should know.

Interview Questions
    • If you were to make a mistake, how would you go about making sure it didn't happen again?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Long Beach, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Science in September 2011.

Before interviewing in-person, I received a phone screening from one of their recruiters. The recruiter was pretty friendly and helpful. She explained the company to me in detail, and told me about the positions available. She asked me questions about my education and technical background based on my resume, and then asked a few SQL questions. A few days later I received an email scheduling an in-person interview.

The interview went really well too. The people there were friendlier than those at any other company I had interviewed with. In the first interview, I was interviewed by 5 people, who were all surprisingly chill and supportive. The atmosphere was light and they responded to my answers very encouragingly, which made me less nervous. They asked pretty much the same questions that all interviewers ask about education, personality, strengths and weaknesses, prior learning experiences, job expectations, etc. They also asked one critical thinking question, which I guess was to check my thought process. Later the same day, I received a phone call scheduling the second interview.

The second interview was pretty much the same as the first, just different people (3 this time). Similar questions were asked, and a few days later, I received an offer.

It was overall really positive, which is why I chose their company over others.

Interview Questions
    Honestly the benefits and salary were already more than I had expected, so I didn't negotiate. If you wanted to though, I think they'd be open to it.

Associate Interview

I first spoke to a representative at a university career fair. About 2 weeks later I was contacted by the HR department and asked if I was still interested. At that point a 3 part interview was set up. All of this took place on one day, lasting about 3 hours. First was a 45 minute interview with a group of 3 managers. Next was a 30-45 minute interview with the managing director. Following the two interviews I was given an hour to complete a SQL test. Not to difficult and you were allowed to reference any resources you wanted to.

Phone Interview, three 2-on-1 interviews, proficiency test

Interview Questions
    • What do you do if a db query doesn't return results quickly?   View Answer