Urban Science Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

Analyst/Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

I received an email pretty quickly after applying to set up a phone screen. The recruiter throughout the process was extremely nice and helpful. The phone screen was about an hour with the standard interview questions and a few challenging problem solving questions. Then, I received an invitation for an in-person interview with 4-5 people. I met either individually or with a pair for about 30 minutes each. The questions were a mix of standard, extremely technical, and a few more off the wall problem solving types.

Interview Questions

• How many refrigerators are there in the United States?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

Straightforward and Quick. Recruiter contacted me shortly after applying and scheduled a phone screen. Shortly after, another interview was scheduled. Compared to other companies, Urban Science is very quick in the recruitment process and very straightforward with what they look for in their candidates and what to expect in the role.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

The interview process was straight forward. Some OO questions and some SQL questions. Nothing to hard to answer for anyone with at least 3-4 months of experience in either. I didn't have the knowledge for sql at the the moment of of my first interview but I never got a confirmation of no. A few months later they send me an email saying they want to interview me again for the same position and the same recruiter. So I think, I have a second chance at it. We do it all again and same results of no answer after the technical interview. I just received an email for the third time, I won't be responding to it this time

Interview Questions

• How do you sort with quick sort   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Interview

I was first contacted by email. After replying, a phone interview was scheduled within a week. After a successful phone interview, I meet with a panel including employees with management roles. I was also given an assessment.

Interview Questions

• What challenges did you face at your last job?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Quick

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science in August 2014.

Interview

My dealings with HR in setting up an interview made me question the professionalism of this company. I applied via a jobsite. It took about a week for HR to contact me. The email stated that they would like to set up an interview along with wanting to know my salary expectations, best time to contact me, if I require sponsorship to work in the USA, and my available start date. I sent back my reply and waited but received no reply for an entire week. I followed up my email with another email stating that I was still interested in the position assuming it was still open. I waited another week without hearing anything. Two weeks after initial contact from Urban Science I receive another email, it's the exact same email they sent asking to set up a phone screen interview. No mention of my previous emails. Ok, odd enough but I replied again with the same answers. I get a response a few hours later stating that HR has it in their calendar to contact me tomorrow at 9.30am and to expect a call. Wait...what? I never agreed to that time, how do they even know if I was available for a phone interview. I was available but you get the point. I wait and wait and no phone call. I receive a call about four hours later apologizing and finally I'm speaking to HR. The conversation with the individual from HR was brief and dealt with any questions I had and was more about setting up an initial phone screen with a department head. The call was set up for the next day and the non-HR employee actually called on time. It was also a brief call and he stated they'd like to bring me in for an in-person interview. I interviewed with four individuals that day; one from HR and three from departments I would be working with both directly and indirectly. Four 1:1 interview sessions each half an hour. The questions were standard and weren't too difficult, very behavioral in nature. A few questions focusing on direct experience with certain tools and software I had experience with. It was a relaxed interview and I enjoyed the atmosphere and the personalities I spoke with. The guy from HR I've been dealing with says I will receive a call in two days informing me of their decision, but I've also been told during the interview that a decision could take 1 to 2 weeks so I don't know who to believe. Two days comes and goes, then a week, without any answer. They have my thank you note so they know I'm interested. I wait until the end of the next week until finally emailing HR asking if they had come to a decision. I assume at this point they had. Sure enough, I receive a response email about an hour later from the same guy from HR, the only one I've dealt with this whole process, stating that they've hired someone else but the company will hold onto my resume in their job bank. He obviously forgot to notify me that they hired someone else. The company was impressive enough, the people were very nice, and the office was modern looking with cool features but their HR department was a complete joke. HR alone made me question if I even wanted to work for this company assuming I got an offer.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI) in July 2014.

Interview

I was recruited through Linked In by HR. I had a series of interviews, one with the pleasant recruiter from HR at a Starbucks near my house. The second was with the person previously in the position, again, a very pleasant experience. The third half-day round of interviews with 6 people was "lukewarm." Distinct impression that it would be difficult to succeed in the position not having come up in the ranks first, even though they were "growing so fast they could not accommodate this growth internally." With everyone interviewing me having been there over 10 years I can see how you would think no one will ever learn what you already know, but candidates hired outside of the company are usually expected to bring in new ideas. When I asked why they liked working for Urban Science, most said there are a lot of smart people here who know what they are doing. One person did say they treat you like family---that is a response that I like to hear.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were not too hard. How will you be able to manage 6 people, including development and performance reviews, can you establish a rapport with the client, can you come up with new ideas to help move the business forward? I was also asked "how many eggs were consumed in Michigan for breakfast this morning?" Silly question, I answered it and moved on.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview

I applied through internet and got a voice message after 3 or 4 weeks to make an appointment for phone screen, and I called back to make an appointment, but a HR person asked me all the questions right away. I wasn't really prepared, and I just got out from a gym, so the phone screen didn't go well.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Urban Science (Herndon, VA).

Interview

Pretty straight forward- one round on campus and another super day round on site. The super day interview had 5 rounds held including a skills test. the on campus round was simple and 1 on 1 round.

Negotiation

I had accepted the offer, they kept me waiting for the offer letter for months and decided to cancel the internship a few weeks before the start of the internship.

Consultant Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Urban Science (Herndon, VA) in March 2014.

Interview

Everything seemed to be nice and they made me wait for one and half months delaying to send the offer and finally said they had budget issues and did not give the offer. Waste of time and energy. They did not have a proper forecast for the summer, they had positions vacant but no budget.

Technology Analyst Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Park, MD

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Science (College Park, MD) in March 2014.

Interview

It was an on campus interview with the hiring team members from the local Urban Science coming to interview. They wanted a intern who has a background of Data Analysis and asked basic behavioral questions like about me, why did u choose ur univ, why Urban science etc. Then they came up to asking basic SQL questions like Primary key, joins, gave an example to implement join and write a query.

Interview Questions

• Have you done any automation before   1 Answer