Urban Science Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015
Updated Mar 9, 2015

3.1

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA).

Interview

i applied the job via their website, then the HR emailed me to schedule a time to give me a phone call

Interview Questions

• they asked some general questions and behavior questions....and i didnt pass it   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Urban Science (Herndon, VA) in February 2014.

Interview

Met the HRs at a career fair. Got an email within 1 week from Urban Science for a campus interview on Feb 21, 2014.

The interviewers were friendly. It was a fun interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the box. Questions asked -
      1. What do you know about this company?
      2. Tell me about yourself?
      3. Did you ever have a conflict with one of your teammates? How did you resolve it?
      4. What are the different clauses in sql ? (Eg. where, in , not in, exists etc.)
      5. Difference between left and right outer join?
      6. What are the steps you follow for SQL Optimization? Can you give me an example where you have optimized a query? (I had sql optimization on my resume)

THey did not ask me any puzzle or fermi question(how many cars were sold in the US etc.).

I have another on site round scheduled for later this week.

Answer Question

Negotiation

This is the first step. I still have to go for the final round.

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone call. The phone interview lasted about 20 min and consisted of questions about your resume. At the end of the phone call, you are invited to an in-person interview. The in-person interview begins with an HR representative and your team manager asking general work/academic experiences. Once the interview is over, the HR representative will proctor a short excel/analytical analysis test. After the test, it is graded and the HR representative will go over the results with you. If you didn't completely bomb the interview and/or test, the HR representative will give you a job offer right there.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever dealt with a difficult employer/employee/client and how did you deal with them?   Answer Question

Associate Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI) in October 2013.

Interview

A good mix of technical and non technical interview question. Know all your sql definitions for everything. A lot of questions asked were very theory related. I wish they had more questions that tested my analytical skills coz as an engineer I'm programmed to not remember textbook definitions.

Interview Questions

• - All sql definitions
      - how many eggs were consumed in the US in 2012?
      - How would you decide where to open a McDonalds outlet?

Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

First there was a phone interview that consisted of entirely computer based questions on Excel, VBA, and SQL. Then I was brought in for a face to face interview which consisted of a 2 hour long process with 4 different people all at different times. The first one was just the basic HR rep, the 2nd was two guys that drilled me on Excel, VBA, and SQL questions. They watched me do things on the computer in order to ask the questions they wanted. The last two guys were just other people who worked in the same group that were higher up and wanted to just basically ask me basic interview questions.

Interview Questions

• They asked me where stuff was located in excel. It was actually hidden and contained a password. Thought that it was a bit unfair of a question to ask. I knew it was hidden, but since they didn't tell me there was a password involved I never even thought of it.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

If I had to sign on to a company based only on experience with HR, it would definitely be Urban Science. In my experience, recruiters don't seem to know much beyond what's on the job description sheet in front of them and can rarely answer specific or technical questions related to the job. This woman was friendly, helpful, and extremely informative about the company, their history, the positions available, and where I might best fit in. She knew her stuff backwards and forwards. She was actually so enthusiastic about the company that I started to feel the same way. Unfortunately, the rest of the process was pretty tiring and I quickly realized what awaited me on the other end was nothing to be excited about, especially give all the GlassDoor employee reviews (which I'd come to rely on quite heavily).

Interviewers were nice, genial people and they all seemed to have a good rapport. They fired question after question - some were standard, behavioral questions ("Tell us about a difficult boss and how you dealt with the situation," "Tell us about a leadership role"); some were thought-provoking and difficult but fun, brain-teaser type questions (if you don't like brain teasers or puzzles, don't interview here). The interviewers were friendly and easy to engage with, but I got a sense they were all on a bit of an interview power trip. My advice if you're interviewing here is to be confident in your intelligence and don't be afraid to pause and then think out loud. If you make sure to be clear about your thought process, the interviewers will appreciate your answers.

In terms of interviews, these were engaging, fun, and medium-stress level. The tests were a little excessive, but nothing to worry about mentally. Overall, the process was a little too pretentious for the ratings they seem to be getting on this site and comments elsewhere. I don't mind - and was prepared for - tough, brain-teaser type questions (and you should be, too). But in my experience, a company shouldn't be asking Microsoft/Google-caliber interview questions if they don't have/can't offer something on the other end to live up to. Don't ask creative questions if you can't offer a creative work environment.

Another big issue was that they asked for my undergraduate and graduate transcripts very early on - before the initial phone screening - which is very unusual. Yet it wasn't until after the phone screening and multiple in-person interviews that they even took notice of my college career (over a decade ago). I was actually the one who pointed out a couple questionable grades in my college records and then they suddenly acted like it was a big point of contention. I wanted to be honest and upfront but I also assumed they had looked at the documents I had sent weeks earlier, which they all had in front of them during my interviews. I think it's funny that I had to bring it to their attention before they decided to hold me into question, and it's also ironic that I was held under the microscope for a few bad grades when their own employees give them a 2.5/5 rating (that's a failing grade by university standards, by the way).

This company seems to be quite focused on employing intelligent people who think outside of the box, but it doesn't appear that this ideal throughout the company. If you're all about hiring smart, creative people, you need to allow them some autonomy in their work. Either utilize the creativity you're so dead-set on acquiring and harvesting or stop trying to intimidate potential candidates.

Interview Questions

• How many refrigerators were sold in the US last year and how would you go about finding the answer?   1 Answer

I was extended a job offer by Urban Science that was slightly below market for my education and experience level, and when I brought into account the commute and the fact that after one year I'd be relocated to work on-site at a car dealership (instead of in an office with a team), I declined the offer. But to reiterate - in case anyone from Urban Science is reading this (which I have to assume they aren't, given the terrible in-company reviews and the fact that they haven't seemed to do anything to reverse employee satisfaction) - you have an excellent HR department. Strive to live up to their enthusiasm and you'll get what you're looking for.

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Urban Science in October 2012.

Interview

Quick phone interview, interview at HQ with some senior members of the team along with Excel test. Was really not that intense. Most of the questions were pretty basic and I gave basic answers.

Interview Questions

• There was a question of "how would you help a friend buy a car?" Other than that, technical test was very easy - just some map-reading, simple math and Excel manipulation with basic formulas, and then simple data entry   Answer Question

Negotiation

They immediately met my salary demand

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI).

Interview

3 sets of interviews, 2 people each, then a test.

Interviews were standard.

Test was bizarre at the time, but makes perfect sense once you get hired.

IT Core Team Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Urban Science (Detroit, MI) in September 2012.

Interview

Interview went well, however, HR promised more than the company can deliver.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Urban Science (Long Beach, CA).

Interview

Interview process was pretty standard. My interview lasted about two and a half hours and I was interviewed by four people plus the HR managers. Questions were reasonable. They asked me about my technical skill while I could feel that they were gauging my people and business skills. Received an off the next day.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions regarding indexing structures in SQL databases. These days they even give out a technical quiz.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made me an offer, I held out for a slightly better offer. They met me halfway.