Urban Science

27 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Consultant Interview

Senior Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Urban Science in October 2012.

Interview Details – Quick phone interview, interview at HQ with some senior members of the team along with Excel test. Was really not that intense. Most of the questions were pretty basic and I gave basic answers.

Interview Question – There was a question of "how would you help a friend buy a car?" Other than that, technical test was very easy - just some map-reading, simple math and Excel manipulation with basic formulas, and then simple data entry   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They immediately met my salary demand

Interviewed at Urban Science

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview that consisted of entirely computer based questions on Excel, VBA, and SQL. Then I was brought in for a face to face interview which consisted of a 2 hour long process with 4 different people all at different times. The first one was just the basic HR rep, the 2nd was two guys that drilled me on Excel, VBA, and SQL questions. They watched me do things on the computer in order to ask the questions they wanted. The last two guys were just other people who worked in the same group that were higher up and wanted to just basically ask me basic interview questions.

Interview Question – They asked me where stuff was located in excel. It was actually hidden and contained a password. Thought that it was a bit unfair of a question to ask. I knew it was hidden, but since they didn't tell me there was a password involved I never even thought of it.   Answer Question

IT Core Team Interview

IT Core Team
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Urban Science in September 2012.

Interview Details – Interview went well, however, HR promised more than the company can deliver.

Interview Question – Can you draw a use-case?   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Detroit, MI

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview Details – 3 sets of interviews, 2 people each, then a test.

Interviews were standard.

Test was bizarre at the time, but makes perfect sense once you get hired.

Interview Question – How many cars did BMW sell last year?   Answer Question

Long Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Science.

Interview Details – Interview process was pretty standard. My interview lasted about two and a half hours and I was interviewed by four people plus the HR managers. Questions were reasonable. They asked me about my technical skill while I could feel that they were gauging my people and business skills. Received an off the next day.

Interview Question – Technical questions regarding indexing structures in SQL databases. These days they even give out a technical quiz.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They made me an offer, I held out for a slightly better offer. They met me halfway.

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Detroit, MI

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Science in November 2011.

Interview Details – I started with a phone interview with a recruiter, then with two of the senior analysts. The first was more informal and about my background. In the second they asked some simpler technical questions.

There was a interview day after that with about ten potential employees. It included talks from current employees, a skills, test, and one on one interviews. The people were very nice and the company atmosphere seemed very positive.

Interview Question – What would you do if you could not meet a deadline?   View Answer

Long Beach, CA

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Science in September 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter to do an interview screening. The screening was short and consisted of 5 quick technical questions. After the screening, I received another phone call asking if I would like to schedule an onsite interview. Also, in that conversation, the recruiter asked me questions about my technical background and prior employment which was used later to tailor the interpersonal skill, team work, and technical portions of my interview.

The first interview was in front of three senior managers who each had different responsibilities in the company. Each manager was friendly and had his/her own concerns with my background that was prepared for them. After the interview, each manager was eager to answer questions pertaining to the role, the company, or their role.

Second interview consisted of a mixed group of managers with the same interview format.

Positives: Quick response compared to other companies that have you wait for weeks. Interviewers were encouraging and helpful when I seemed troubled during some problems. Having been on many interviews, it was a relief to be interviewed by a company that focuses heavily on your interpersonal skills as well as your technical knowledge which gave me a good feeling about the culture; no egos, family feeling, and everybody loves their role. Technical questions were questions that a software engineer should know.

Interview Question – If you were to make a mistake, how would you go about making sure it didn't happen again?   Answer Question

Long Beach, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Urban Science in October 2011.

Interview Details – The recruiter was very pleasant, informative and encourging. She was very patient and understanding. She had an accent but was easy to understand. She asked good questions and rephrased the questions if I wasn't quite understanding them or needed help. The technical questions were all SQL related, some easy some a little harder but a fair exploration of my skills in that area. She also asked me about my experience in OOP, nothing too indepth just a sort of self evaluation. She said more technical questions would follow at the interview. She also said that their may be a test involved at the interview but nothing too difficult and that they don't expect you to get everything right. They like to see how you think. The company specializes in analytics and develops proprietary software. Most of their customers are in the auto industry. They have lots of international sites and tend to promote from within. She said that they have their own on line University to get certified in areas that will help in career.

Interview Questions

Long Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Urban Science in September 2011.

Interview Details – Before interviewing in-person, I received a phone screening from one of their recruiters. The recruiter was pretty friendly and helpful. She explained the company to me in detail, and told me about the positions available. She asked me questions about my education and technical background based on my resume, and then asked a few SQL questions. A few days later I received an email scheduling an in-person interview.

The interview went really well too. The people there were friendlier than those at any other company I had interviewed with. In the first interview, I was interviewed by 5 people, who were all surprisingly chill and supportive. The atmosphere was light and they responded to my answers very encouragingly, which made me less nervous. They asked pretty much the same questions that all interviewers ask about education, personality, strengths and weaknesses, prior learning experiences, job expectations, etc. They also asked one critical thinking question, which I guess was to check my thought process. Later the same day, I received a phone call scheduling the second interview.

The second interview was pretty much the same as the first, just different people (3 this time). Similar questions were asked, and a few days later, I received an offer.

It was overall really positive, which is why I chose their company over others.

Interview Question – SQL Commands   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Honestly the benefits and salary were already more than I had expected, so I didn't negotiate. If you wanted to though, I think they'd be open to it.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Urban Science in January 2010.

Interview Details – First interview was a phone interview with a recruiter. I got a very long overview of the company, the specific team, and then a general description of the positions available. I was asked to choose which position I liked. Was asked general questions about my background, then the recruiter asked specific SQL syntax. I was told that the next step would be another phone interview.

The recruiter was very friendly, relaxed, and informative.

Interview Question – Various SQL commands   Answer Question