Utah State University

Updated Aug 14, 2014

2.7

Programmer/Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Logan, UT

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Utah State University in July 2014.

Interview process took around 4 - 6 weeks and I went through 2 rounds.

Round 1
    Essay type HR questions

How do you define success ?
    How do you define failure ?
    Describe an incident where you didn't have skills required for the job.
    Describe an incident where you were given an impossible deadline.

Round 2
    Technical questions mostly on SQL
    Define different types of joins and explain each with an example.
    Difference between UNION and UNION ALL
    Some question on RANK

Interview Questions
    • What do you think your supervisor say your strengths & weaknesses are !?   View Answer

Supplemental Instructor Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Utah State University.

We set up a time to meet 1 on 1. Whenever was most convenient for me. When we met, she gave me her full attention and she had the most positive attitude I've ever seen anyone have. She asked me various questions about myself; what I was studying, why would I be a good fit for the SI program, what my hobbies are, etc. Then I was asked to give her an example of how I teach. Luckily I knew this was coming and I prepared a 10 minute lesson over Powerpoint about the moons of Jupiter. She seemed very pleased with me. I got the job a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Could you show me a bit of your note taking? I want to see how well you take notes.   View Answer

Graduate Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Utah State University.

one one

no negotiation fixed salary

Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

I worked as a volunteer for about a year before they even considered giving me a full time position. There was no formal interview, rather I was considered for a paid position after volunteering.

Salary was just above minimum - no negotiation.

Undergraduate Teaching Fellowship Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Utah State University.

You must have completed the course along with doing exceptionally well in the course. Contact one of the teachers or let them contact you. Give them your resume and explain why you think you would do well in this position.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to be a UTF in this field?   View Answer

Facilities Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Logan, UT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Utah State University.

I applied via the campus job board. I called once and scheduled an interview with the hiring manager of facilities. It was a very basic interview, asking about experience and job skills. The facilities members asked me how I was with hard things and mentioned that waking up early would be required every day. After that we pretty much focused on what the job would offer me if I got it. Very painless interview, although you need to apply before school to have a chance and there is no compensation for driving to the university for the interview.

Interview Questions
    • How is your teamwork skills (the facilities member consider each unit a team and take your response really seriously.)   Answer Question
    no negotiation

Engineering Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Logan, UT

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Utah State University in August 2013.

Submitted my resume online through the University's job board. Got a call to come and interview with the retention specialist. Spoke for about forty five minutes about my qualifications.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation.

Electrical Engineer Undergraduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Utah State University.

I applied to the job through email and the professor and I worked out a time and place for the interview. During the interview he described the research projects they were working on and where they needed help. The interviewer asked about my experience and technical skills on my resume.

Team Leader II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Logan, UT

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Utah State University in March 2012.

There was a panel of Facilities personnel, about 5, who would ask questions about certain situations one might encounter as a Team Leader and what you might do to help or resolve the problem or situation. They also wanted to make sure you have experience and understand the processes required for the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you encountered a task you asked an employee to complete and he/she didn't complete the task?   Answer Question

Postdoctorant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Logan, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Utah State University in September 2011.

I got one interview by skype because I don't live in US and after I did a presentation of my project on the front of the lab

Interview Questions
    • It was difficult to obtain my green card in this university, nothing is done to help to obtain it   Answer Question