VA Health

Getting the Interview

10 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Readjustment Counseling Therapist Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at VA Health.

Interview Details – The interview was conducted by phone. There were three interviewers, and they rotated the questioning. The questions were standard questions provided to the interviewers by the veterans administration for the job series. The questions were basically behavior based, with several others that involved a specific description of your counseling approaches.

Interview Question – Please describe the counseling approach and explain the projected treatment plan for a client with....   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Health Research Specialist Interview

Bedford, MA

I applied online - interviewed at VA Health in July 2013.

Interview Details – Got to be interviewed by hiring manager quickly after initial application. Hiring manager put in for advanced pay grade because of my experience. Hiring delayed through bureaucratic delays.

Interview Question – Do you really want this job considering your level of experience   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation not needed because of proactive hiring manager

Health Technician Interview

Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took 10 months - interviewed at VA Health.

Interview Details – From the time I applied until the day I started it took 10 months. After I applied on usajobs.gov , I did not hear from them for 7-8 months. Once i interview it took them 2 1/2 months to make a job offer. You must have patience.

Interview Question – There wasn't any difficult questions. However, since you are working with a group who have a high percentage of mental issues and possibly aggressive behavior a question was asked that could be answered incorrectly, so I want to give a heads up. ----> If you have someone who has shot one person and is holding another person at gun point… What would you do, would you help the person that is bleeding?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is not an option.

Revenue Utilization Review Nurse Interview

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at VA Health.

Interview Details – I applied online through USAJOBS.gov. About two weeks after the announcement closed, I was contacted by the Nurse Manager to arrange an interview. About two weeks after that I was contacted by HR with tentative job offer.

Interview Question – Have you ever had many different tasks given to you at the same time? How did you manage these   View Answer

Negotiation Details – With the VA you go through a credentialing process that rates your experience and education and goes to a committee where they decide what "grade" you are going to come in at. I get the feeling that you can't easily negotiate this. From applying to entry date it was about 10 weeks.

Very Easy Interview

Addictions Therapist Interview

Dayton, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VA Health.

Interview Details – Hiring involves a 3 time interview depending on the type of job one is applying for. During my 10+ years with the V.A., I got caught up in the racism and back stabbing consequently, the work environment was not very healthy at times-----again, depending on what department you might be in with the above statement written in re generalalities.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – negotiations were not an option at time of accepting employment---again, depending on the department but generally.

Psychologist Interview

The process took 3 months - interviewed at VA Health in July 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process involved a phone interview which lasted about 30 minutes. After I was offered the job, I had to complete various packets of information for vetting and background checks. The process was timing consuming but once you are in the system you can move between jobs pretty quickly.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a previous supervisor and how you handled it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Little room for negotiation at the time. I know that some folks have negotiated for salary and other type of bonuses. The VA tends to offer hiring incentives for locations in out of the way places.

RN Interview

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at VA Health in June 2008.

Interview Details – contacted by VA rep, discussed job duties for outpatient clinic near my home, flet good about the initial conversation, was told would call to set up meeting to further the process, never heard back ,even though i was led to believe there was going to be a one on one interview. Never heard anything, not thanks for the interest or sorry.....we hired someone else

Industrial Engineer Interview

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VA Health in June 2010.

Interview Details – Complicated online application process. The USAjobs.com tells you to summit a resume and work history. Unfortunately what it doesn't tell you is that your resume needs to be in a certain format along with everything else that you need to summit. After the closing date, I received a call to schedule an interview for a week later. The interview was a group phone interview, with 5 other people asking questions. They were behavioral questions, but they were long and complex with multiple parts to them. I felt I couldn't answer them with focused answers because they were so complex. I didn't feel the interview went very well. The next day I received a job offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – You are paid according to the GS pay scale.

IT Interview

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VA Health in October 2009.

Interview Details – Interviews conducted soon after job closing. Pleasant interview, fairly informal, but I got the impression that a final decision had already been made prior to my interview. Applying for Federal positions can be frustrating to those outside the system - VA is loyal to internal applicants. While the local Interviewer and HR personnel provided a positive experience, I would rate the overall Federal Hiring process as a negative experience.

Interview Question – What are your greatest weaknesses.   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at VA Health in July 2009.

Interview Details – Initial application on line. Then an internal screening by Federal office. Then forwarded to local office that scheduled the interview. Then the interview. Then several weeks go by and Email notification that I was unsuccessfull.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you are qualified for the position?   Answer Question
  • What was the most difficult situation you have been in and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for VA Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VA Health interview questions and advice. All 10 interview reviews posted anonymously by VA Health employees and interview candidates.