VA Health Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

2.9

Communications Contract Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VA Health (Washington, DC).

Interview

30 minute interview with Government Public Affairs employee; assisted with preparation by contracting company; submitted electronic and hard portfolio materials.

Public Affairs employee shared immediate and long-term needs and asked for approach to manage issues.

Interview Questions

• Can you provide day to day support and develop long-term strategy at the same time? Flexibility? Social Media Skills?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Very good. The contracting agency facilitated the negotiation on my behalf.

Several RN Positions Over the Years Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at VA Health.

Interview

Panel of 3-4, performance based questions. You answer while they write their hands off. They do not give any feedback at all during the process. Many times you do not even get informed that you didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about an experience where you had to utilize evidenced-base research? What did you do, what was the outcome, and what was the change that occurred to the VA due to your research?   Answer Question

GI Suite RN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at VA Health (Syracuse, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview process was group of four people who I have known for years.The question asked were more about my future plans than what I could bring to the job.The interview was rushed ,it was unplanned in that I had interviewed for another job and the nursing coordinator email me to ask if I was still interested in the job. Then she won't be available to do the interview for few weeks if I could not do it that morning.I when in totally unprepared and slight shaken because I was late do my assignment and they were not ready either. I was told at the interview don't get nervous if I don't hear from them right away because they had many people to interview and it was for two positions .I didn't get the job and I found out when they repost the position and I asked if I was still a candidate. Bad taste in my mouth about the whole thing won're continue to ability for position changes in my own hospital.

Interview Questions

• There are many night were we can't leave on time, how would this effect your life?   1 Answer

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at VA Health.

Interview

Most difficult patient and how you handled it. Why do you want to work for the VA. Tell me about yourself. The interview questions were very basic and I prepared myself very well for the interview ahead of time. Even though I was a new RN I still had leadership and examples of experiences from my clinicals. Make sure you ask that shift it will be and if it is definite or if it can change once you get hired. I asked questions about the floor like patient to RN ratio and differences between night shift and day shift. I asked if they utilized teamwork and helped each other because I wanted to make sure that this place was the right fit for me.

Interview Questions

• What have you done for personal development in the past year?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Law Enforcement Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VA Health (Saint Paul, MN).

Interview

Communicated via telephone after resume and document submission. Best advice is to ensure that all required documents are prepared and submitted during the process - any mistakes will probably remove you from the process.Two phone interviews held. Waiting to hear from the BI for next step.

Nurse Practitioner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at VA Health.

Interview

Applied through the USAJOBS.gov website and was called for an interview appx. 3 weeks later. Interview was set up telephonically as I lived over 100 miles from the facility. I interviewed with two people. I found the questions to be straightforward and reasonable. The whole interview lasted appx 30 minutes. I heard back from the human resources department a month later and they wanted to proceed with a background check and references. I was then set up for a physical and drug test and fingerprinting. This whole process took almost three months. The last phase was the peer review board. I waited almost another month for this and the salary came back very low. I was not allowed to negotiate.

Interview Questions

• What would your last supervisor say is your greatest strength and your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Salary was too low and despite a resubmittal for reconsideration to the peer review board they refused to consider a new step/level. I was not allowed to negotiate.

Health Research Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VA Health.

Interview

The entire process took about two months. The HR department did not offer any negotiation. That part of the hiring process was very strange and jarring. This is one of the worst parts of working at the VA.

Interview Questions

• I had conversations with several people I would be working with.   Answer Question

RN Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at VA Health.

Interview

Hiring process takes a while. You complete several forms online and upload several documents. Got a call to interview in person and later had to do the necessary steps such as background check, physical exam (including bloodwork and you can be randomly selected for a urine drug test), fingerprinting, picture for your badge, in class orientation on their computer programs, and orientation to the unit/floor you were hired. It can take a while since there are set dates when the in class orientation is scheduled.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at VA Health.

Interview

The interview was conducted by phone. There were three interviewers, and they rotated the questioning. The questions were standard questions provided to the interviewers by the veterans administration for the job series. The questions were basically behavior based, with several others that involved a specific description of your counseling approaches.

Interview Questions

• Please describe the counseling approach and explain the projected treatment plan for a client with....   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VA Health in March 2014.

Interview

phone interview and face to face interview, using PBI questions. It does take some time even if you are already in the VA. If you are an external applicant, it can take 3 months to get in due to back ground checks and HR procedures.

Interview Questions

• the VA uses perfomance based interviewing questions, so be prepared to give examples of situations and the outcome. They want you to be specific.   Answer Question