VALIC Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.5

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VALIC.

Interview

Face to face interview to review industry experience, sales potential, and communication skills. Get your thoughts on working evenings and ability to travel. Usually very casual, maybe even lunch or dinner just to get a feel for you as a person and communicator.

Interview Questions

• Which licenses do you currently hold and do you have a clean U4?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VALIC (Miami, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, found the posting on Indeed.com and was directed to AIG's website to apply. 4 business days later, the Financial Advisor contacted me through email to set up an interview. Went on interview on a Tuesday, got an email notification about the pre-employment process the following day. I didn't get confirmation of the offer until the following week after sending a thank you/follow up email. Apparently they thought the home office would notify me.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VALIC.

Interview

Interview process took about 2 weeks and consisted of a phone interview with regional recruiter, which was very informative in regards to the position. Second interview with DM was standard review/ walk through of resume, and simple questions. I was told that the recruiter was going to call me within the week to schedule the final interview with RVP, fortunately she called to offer the position!

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over an advisor with more experience?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Attempted to negotiate to no prevail. Was offered a "set" training allowance.

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at VALIC (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

First is phone interview with company recruiter. Second is interview in person or by phone with district manager. Third interview in person is with regional vice president or manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much unless you are bring a book of business from another firm. Income is commission only after 90-180 days on job.

Financial Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VALIC.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an in-person interview. Basically just asked to discuss professional experience and background. It took a couple weeks to line up a phone interview, then several weeks to have a one-on-one interview scheduled, and a month or so before any further decision.

Interview Questions

• Everything was pretty much conversational and as expected   Answer Question

Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VALIC.

Interview

Applied online on a weekend. Called on following Monday by HR for phone screening - took about 10 minutes. Called by HR a day later to set up a phone interview with hiring manager. Phone interview lasted about 20 minutes. Called by HR a couple of days later to set up on site interview. I traveled 210 miles for the interview and was not offered any reimbursement for travel or hotel. Interview was with two different groups (3 people in each group). Entire time spent was 3 hours. I felt it went well, as I easily answered all of their questions. No question was difficult or awkward. I was told I would hear back soon. I received a call from HR a few days later to set up an additional phone interview with a different manager. Had phone interview next day and then never heard back from Valic at all. It's been over six weeks now.

Interview Questions

• All standard interview questions. Nothing extremely technical regarding the job they were seeking to fill. Mostly situational questions (e.g., how do you handle stress?).   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VALIC.

Interview

Very difficult interview. Questioned by two managers. The interview lasted over two hours.

Interview Questions

• When I would give a work example, the interviewer would say he didn't like my answers and that I should try again.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VALIC in January 2014.

Interview

I was contracted through a third party. One interview by phone with agency, then one interview in person with two managers. They asked really good questions and were so polite.

Interview Questions

• Why I was going from a full time position to a contract position.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VALIC (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

I applied online for a Marketing role in the Chicago office. I got a call within a couple weeks to schedule a phone screen. The phone screen was conducted by the hiring manager, standard questions. At the end of the call, we scheduled an in person interview to take place a week later. During the interview I met with the hiring manger, where we went over my resume and she gave me more details about the position. These were all standard, weaknesses, strengths, why I wanted the job etc. I felt the interview went well, she was professional. Within a week the hiring manager called me back and said she really liked me, but her boss wanted to conduct another interview so he could sign off on the hire. I agreed and came in the following week. This is where the experience went from positive, to extremely negative. He was extremely rude and unprofessional during the interview. Every question he asked me, he would cut me off halfway through my response and interrupt me. I didn't get through a single response without getting cut off. He also asked me completely inappropriate questions such as "Did you lie to your boss to get the day off to come here today?" Then he asked me how I would handle it if a coworker didn't like my work. I replied "Well, I believe constructive criticism is important..." but of course he cut me off and said "I am talking about feedback, why would you say criticism? Or do you make it a point to criticize your coworkers?" I was just baffled at the way he conducted himself. Especially because this was an entry level position that asked for 0-2 years work experience. This was not a management position. I left the interview feeling completely dejected, and I was shocked when two days later he called me to offer the job. I ended up accepting even after the horrible interview, because he wasn't the person I would be directly reporting to and I was ready to leave my old job. Once I started, I learned that this individual had just been hired the same week that he interviewed me, and literally knew nothing about the role he was interviewing me for.

Interview Questions

• Did you lie to your boss to come here today? Do you make it a practice to criticize your coworkers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They basically said take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at VALIC (Detroit, MI) in November 2012.

Interview

2 interviews with DM, I took detail notes, he lied on 2 major points and refused to disclose asset amount and locations until 3 weeks after I was hired. I would have refused the job if disclosed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

take it or leave it, I should have left it