VF

Very Easy Interview

Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Digital Marketing Manager
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VF in January 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR and 1:1 interview with hiring manager

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I gestured and declined to contribute interview and process. The impression left from the manager (VP of Marketing at John Varvatos) was that the environment is very unprofessional. She almost said it herself and she convinced me too. I got 15 minutes early for my interview and there was another candidate being interviewed right in front of me and I could hear everything. I spent 45 minutes waiting to be even acknowledged by the manager and only because I made them realize I was still there. Then the manager apologizes as she just came from Milan and said asked for two more minutes which turned out to be 15 more minutes. Some of the initial questions were where I was from. When I mentioned I was born elsewhere she quickly said how smart I was and kept looking at my lips as if I was speaking Martian. I asked if she was having a hard time with my accent, and she said no because she was once married to a French so she understood all accents, and also because she was Scottish. I guess once you understand one accents you understand all accents?? Then my presentation began and after I was told at least 20 times how smart and overqualified I was for the job, I finally said Yes, I am very smart and it's interesting how you would think of me as too smart and overqualified when you could think of me as the person who can take their digital marketing to the next level. She was looking for a pretext, so more of you are too smart and overqualified. Then I said I definitely don’t want to be where I am not wanted, but you have to be careful to put a person too smart and to high because what is that says about you? It almost makes you sound not so smart and look too low. Trying to easy the climate I was asked that if I was married, what I was waiting for to start having babies. My answer 'I kind of like people making their own decisions'. Just when I thought that person couldn’t be more unprofessional, I am asked what’s my favorite designer, and I say I have no preference as I am not very well knowledgeable in fashion design even though my experience is in Luxury brands. Then she made a big face like I FINALLY GOT YA!! What was wrong with that picture? Well, okay, it’s almost like saying she is not qualified for her VP of Marketing at John Varvatos job because she is a single mother, as it demonstrates she can’t understand men, and when she tries she fails, and John Varvatos is all about men luxury products. She said she would need some weeks to think about this so closed by saying please take all the time.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for VF? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VF Digital Marketing Manager interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by VF employees and interview candidates.