VHA Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015

3.1

Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VHA.

Interview

Straight forward like most places. You are greated by the recruiter and taken to the interview room. after you meet the interviewer, sometimes one sometimes multiple, they give you a description of the workplace and what the role entails, then move on to asking questions. both behavioral type and ones about your resume and background.

Chief of Primary Care Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at VHA.

Interview

Performance-based questions with a panel of 3 interviewers. In addition there is a background check, security clearance and financial disclosure information. The process was fair, but can take some time.

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at VHA.

Interview

Within a week of applying I had my HR screening interview with the hiring manager interview a week later. All initial communication was via email and the recruiter was very helpful at this stage in the process. Since then, the recruiter has never responded to an email requesting basic status information or even acknowledgement of my communications.

During the interview, the hiring manager mentioned having spoken to a former boss - this was prior to any request for or delivery of professional references.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions - typical requests to explain challenging projects and relationships, strengths/weaknesses.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Interview

Hiring process took several months, speaking to about 7 different people. Recruiter was not great with follow-up after each interview, though he is no longer there. They use the "targetted selection" process - Google it for specifics but essentially each person who interviews you is looking for a specific trait, such as teamwork, and thy are supposed to focus on that before asking other questions. It can make it hard to get them to know you as a person. Have lots of examples to share about how you are a team player, how to deal with difficult sitatuations, etc.

Interview Questions

• None. It was all pretty typical for targetted selection.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They wanted me to throw out an offer first, and after some awkwardness I got them to make an over without that. It was higher than I'd expected, but after working there a while I think I should have countered more.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at VHA (Dallas, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

Email, phone, in person

Another opportunity

Chief Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at VHA (San Antonio, TX) in December 2011.

Interview

Applied online and long wait before I learned of an interview. I only had a phone interview done as a group with three individuals. Human resources process was extremely slow and lots of redundancy and errors. Behavioral based interview and learned very little about position and felt they learned very little about me.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had a conflict with an employee and how did you handle it? What did you learn and what would you do diffferently?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VHA (Charlotte, NC) in September 2011.

Interview

VHA conducts an exhaustive interview process based on real life experiences. My interview process started with a telephone prescreening. Next I was interviewed individually by 4 Director level and above staff. The final interview was a group of 9 individuals. Everyone made me feel comfortable.
    The interview process requires each person who interviews the candidate to complete a scorecard based on the answers given to the questions. These scores are sent to HR to compile a profile based on the scores of each person who interviewed the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you set goals in a group setting. Follow up with how you measured progress and ultimately were the goals met.   1 Answer

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VHA (Irving, TX) in July 2011.

Interview

The interviewing process at VHA is grueling! I attribute this to the interviewers schedules. Rarely can you get an interview quickly where all the executives you will meet with are in office at the same time. This is why it can take weeks to actually get the interview. Once you finally interview a decision is made relatively quickly. VHA is a great company but has many changes (layoffs), and downsizing.

Interview Questions

• What area do you feel you need to improve in most?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary. The recruiter went back to the hiring manager twice on my behalf and came back with a satisfactory outcome. There is a low, mid-range, and high salary gauge. Salaries for an EA range from low 48, midrange 54, to high 60. Naturally, this is based on experience.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at VHA (Irving, TX) in October 2010.

Interview

Telephone screening followed by personal interviews with multiple people in the department. All 1-1 interviews, not panel interviews. The best way to get an interview is go through an agency like Matrix or InSource Group. The HR department is not very tech savvy, so the screening process to get to the IT organization is very inconsistent.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you manage an Agile project?   1 Answer

Summer Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VHA (Irving, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

3 rounds