VML Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

2.7

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VML.

Interview

Had a phone interview, which I thought went well. The recruiter told me that VML moves "pretty quickly" with the interview process and that I would hear something within the next few weeks. It's been over 2 months and silence. Calls/emails have gone unanswered. The position is no longer listed on the company website so I'm assuming it's been filled but I don't know for sure. One thing I do know is that ignoring potential candidates that you have begun interviewing is both rude and extremely unprofessional.

Associate Art Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at VML (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

The interview process lasted a few hours as I was interviewing with multiple teams for multiple positions. I was told a lot about the culture of the company, projects each team works on, and was told in detail my responsibilities if I did end up joining the VML team. I walked each interviewer through my portfolio book. Some took a long time to look at each project. Others flipped through quickly and wanted to know more about my previous work experience and commitment to VML. As far as turnaround after the interview I had a job offer in less than a week.

Interview Questions

• What is one project that should not be in my portfolio and why?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at VML in September 2014.

Interview

For tech positions, VML on boards exclusively through contract agencies (as far as I am aware), so getting your foot in the door starts with the right recruiter. As of now, those two agencies are Teksystems and RiverPoint. The interview comes pretty fast if you seem like a good fit. After my initial conversation, I was interviewed within just 4 days and had an offer in two more. Though, I'm sure that was also dependent on immediate need, interactive web developers seem to be in pretty high demand more often than not.

Interview Questions

• How does scope work in JS.   1 Answer

Digital Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VML (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Process overall was fine. Fairly informal but for a senior level position you would hope to be informed one way or another if you they are interested. All takes is an email.

Interview Questions

• Typically cynical about interviewing a social media person. I don't blame them.   Answer Question

Web Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VML (Kansas City, MO) in August 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter and set up and in-person interview within a day or two. I interviewed initially with one Developer, then during the interview a couple other developers joined in. Most of the interview was technical questions about JavaScript. The atmosphere was very relaxed, and the interview wasn't stressful at all. The developer giving the interview would tell you what he was looking for if you didn't quite know the answer to a question. It felt more like a conversation.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at VML (Kansas City, MO) in August 2014.

Interview

Personal contact with a current employee set me up for interview. I applied, he called scheduled me and got hired. It was a very "in side" job kind of way of doing things.

Interview Questions

• Draw an entity relationship diagram for this situation.   Answer Question

Associate Art Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VML (Kansas City, MO) in May 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very professional, HR emailed me schedules weeks before the actual interview actually took place. I interviewed with HR first, which was just standard benifit info along with general overview of the company. Next I interviewed with the Creative Director on the account I was applying for- Looked at my book, then we looked at his. Next I interviewed with both ECDs and they were less concerned about my book, and more concerned with my person and who I was. Over all very proffessional.

Interview Questions

• In your opinion what are the pros and cons to online marketing as well as traditional print.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Lots of back and fourth emailing and voicemails with head HR I asked for a higher salary right off the back and received one. process took about 2-3 weeks total.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VML (Kansas City, MO).

Interview

Contracting Company - Easy process

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Through the contracting agency

Associate Copywriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VML (Kansas City, MO) in February 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received an email about a video interview, then did not hear back

Interview Questions

• How did you deal with a difficulty client in the past?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at VML.

Interview

I was granted a single interview as a contractor based entirely on my resume, through a recruiting agency. The hiring manager had very little knowledge of modern programming, so the questions I was asked were very high level. The office environment seemed (and still is) very unique, relaxed and fun compared to other offices in the IT industry, but probably on par with others in the advertising industry. The interview was probably only necessary to determine if I was a good fit for the team, personality wise.

Interview Questions

• No real technical questions, which was unexpected. I think the only vaguely technical question was, "Are you familiar with the Facebook API and if not, are you capable of picking it up quickly?".   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. Pre-determined salary.