VML

Relevance Date Difficulty

Associate Art Director Interview

Associate Art Director
Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VML in May 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was very professional, HR emailed me schedules weeks before the actual interview actually took place.

I interviewed with HR first, which was just standard benifit info along with general overview of the company.

Next I interviewed with the Creative Director on the account I was applying for- Looked at my book, then we looked at his.

Next I interviewed with both ECDs and they were less concerned about my book, and more concerned with my person and who I was.

Over all very proffessional.

Interview Question – In your opinion what are the pros and cons to online marketing as well as traditional print.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Lots of back and fourth emailing and voicemails with head HR I asked for a higher salary right off the back and received one. process took about 2-3 weeks total.

Business Development Interview

Business Development
Kansas City, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 months - interviewed at VML in October 2011.

Interview Details – This was a very drawn out process, over many months and after a hiring freeze. However, the interviews and process were very professional and well done. They made sure that each team member had the opportunity to meet me and communicated well throughout the process.

Interview Question – Asked some situational questions that made me think on my toes.   Answer Question

Associate Copywriter Interview

Associate Copywriter
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VML in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, received an email about a video interview, then did not hear back

Interview Question – How did you deal with a difficulty client in the past?   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst
Kansas City, MO

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VML.

Interview Details – Contracting Company - Easy process

Interview Question – The questions were not out of the ordinary   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Through the contracting agency

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VML in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview was rescheduled several times due to limited availability of my employer. However, they did a good job of communicating with me throughout the rescheduling process. It took about 3 weeks to receive an answer.

Interview Questions

• What is a campaign or ad you've seen recently that you wish you would have thought of?   Answer Question
  • What was your least favorite project in your book to work on?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Lead Applications Developer Interview

Lead Applications Developer
Kansas City, MO

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at VML in August 2010.

Interview Details – You'll almost certainly have to go through a contracting company. Regardless of what they tell you, this is not a "contract to hire position". VML will take their sweet time bringing you on full time and will only do so if forced. Dealing with a contracting company is not desirable and should be avoided at all costs.

If you're talented and well known, you should refuse any position which is not a direct hire. VML will "change the rules" if they have to.

Interview Question – Varies dramatically per interviewer. If you read smashing magazine or net tuts, you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Demand exactly what you want, don't bend.

Very Easy Interview

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at VML.

Interview Details – I was granted a single interview as a contractor based entirely on my resume, through a recruiting agency. The hiring manager had very little knowledge of modern programming, so the questions I was asked were very high level. The office environment seemed (and still is) very unique, relaxed and fun compared to other offices in the IT industry, but probably on par with others in the advertising industry. The interview was probably only necessary to determine if I was a good fit for the team, personality wise.

Interview Question – No real technical questions, which was unexpected. I think the only vaguely technical question was, "Are you familiar with the Facebook API and if not, are you capable of picking it up quickly?".   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. Pre-determined salary.

Social Media Intern Interview

Social Media Intern

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at VML in April 2013.

Interview Details – Met HR Manager at a career fair, set up an interview within a week. The interview was not too easy but not too hard. They asked both behavioral and experience questions. Just one interview with Social Media Manager.

Interview Questions

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VML.

Interview Details – Very relaxed environment to interview

Interview Question – Name a time when you had to deal directly with a disruptive client.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VML in February 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me about an opportunity at VML, which I expressed interest. I provided her with my CV and she followed up within 3 days. Afterwards, I was sent to interview at their temporary Park Ave offices, since their main office was shutdown due to that terrible accident in the lift around January.

At the interview I met with the department head, a senior project manager and a project director. They were all great people and we seemed to have clicked in terms of the background and personalities. Afterwards, I gave feedback to the recruiter and she said the interviewers also expressed interest. About 2 days later, I received a call from the recruiter claiming that VML had a "hiring freeze" and will move forward once the freeze is lifted. A few days later, I noticed VML posting positions for Project Managers on monster, linkedin and careerbuilder. When I asked the recruiter, she said VML told her they were posting for other positions.

Two weeks after that, the recruiter said VML was willing to hire on a contract position. I didn't like the way this was being handled and felt that this was a downgrade. Plus, I knew in the ad industry that contracts very rarely get converted into actual fulltime positions. I turned down the contract position and moved on.

Weeks later, the recruiter told me she learned that VML was hiring aggressively for the Project Manager positions and lied to them. She then said VML was willing to offer me a traffice manager position as a contract role. They really don't know what they are doing.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They downgraded the offer from a fulltime position to a contract role. They lied to my recruiter about a non-existant hiring freeze that led to the contract offer as they were aggressively hiring fulltime PMs at the same time.

Interviews for Top Jobs at VML

Worked for VML? Contribute to the Community!