VMware

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

R&D Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in June 2014.

I had applied online and a recruiter reached out to me after 3 or 4 weeks. In addition to the R&D management position I had applied for, he also wanted to gauge my interest in another tech lead position that he had forwarded along in his mail.

There have been few other posts regarding the poor manners and attitude of VMware recruiters. I'd have to second that.

First of all, the recruiter tried to sell me this another tech lead role in Palo Alto and went in great lengths to impress me on the kind of A+ star talent they recruit. I declined on his offer since I was already solidly on management leadership role and it did not make sense to make a U turn even though I had all the skill sets and experience to fit into the tech lead role as well. He downplayed the management position I was interested in claiming it to be a "lesser priority" role than the tech position.

Next, without checking on my availability, he fired off an impromptu phone interview and took up the next 30 mins asking me various tech questions on topics ranging from C++ programming to OS level concepts - threading etc, to networking. Well, I pretty much easily answered every single question asked and the recruiter was like wow, this was the first time I have had someone answer with such promptness and confidence. In spite of this, I was kinda surprised by the attitude of the recruiter to "assess" without a heads-up. Now that he had a great impression of my solid tech skill sets, he said he would immediately forward my application to the director of the group.

NOTE: Next came the unethical part of interview. He wanted to know my marital status by asking "if there would be others apart from me who would relocate if offered the job". Lol, what a devilish way to not directly ask personal details! Even though I knew this was none of his business, I answered that my family would relocate as well. This was the last question.

1 week later, I checked back with the recruiter on the status of my application and he said that they would not be moving forward on my application. I was plain irritated and disappointed by the company and its recruiting process. If they are not interested, why reach out to me in the first place and waste my time in interviewing and selling me other positions as well?

I was reading other reviews on VMware interview and few others had also mentioned something about recruiters asking personal questions such as marital status. It leads me to think if there is something unethical going on potentially discriminating applicants on marital status?

On the whole, very negative impression of the company and its recruiters.

Interview Questions