VMware Interview Questions in Cambridge, MA

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in March 2014.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter via Linked In regarding an "invite only" recruiting event to take place in Cambridge, MA. The event was to be held roughly 2 months from when I received the initial communication. I was told that VMWare was looking to fill several engineering roles "up and down the stack", and that they were looking for "every background" and "all experience levels".

After expressing my interest, I was instructed to take a 1 hour coding challenge via Interview Street (now Hacker Rank). The challenge was a single problem that covered basic data structures/algorithms and could be completed in the language of my choice.

After completing the coding challenge with 100% accuracy, I was invited to attend the event, and VMWare connected me with the appropriate people to arrange travel, ask questions, etc. So far so good.

2 days before I was scheduled to attend the event, I received a call that my interview would be cancelled. The hiring managers were looking for a very specific skill set, which I did not have. While all the communication I had received up until this point stressed that VMWare was looking to fill multiple different roles, and was looking for "solid CS fundamentals" and the ability to "quickly ramp up and learn new technologies", it seems the hiring managers were looking specifically for kernel developers with extensive experience in C.

I was very surprised to see that such a communication gap had occurred between the hiring team(s) and the recruiting team. I felt that this should have been caught much, much sooner. I had been in contact with VMWare for nearly 2 months! During this time I received very detailed documentation describing the general skills that they were looking for. That being said, I did appreciate them stopping the process as soon as it became clear there was not a match.

Intern - TechOps Desktop Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter by e-mail in March. Next week, I had a phone interview being quizzed by the lead desktop technician in Cambridge. This was followed by an interview with the hiring manager. Then, the recruiter informed me that I would be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• What are the two different layers of virtualization?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in June 2011.

Interview

Got a phone call from hiring manager who used to work with me. Set up an full-day onsite interview which includes a Ph.D work presentation from me and 1:1 interview with 7 other people. These 6 people are: a recruiter (so quite easy for me), hiring manager (also not bad), four Staff/Sr. Staff engineers and a Sr. Director. A lot of technical questions were asked, ranging from programming (C, Java, C++) to software engineering. Not a super hard interview but definitely not easy. People who interviewed me seemed to be very nice.

Interview Questions

• Draw on whiteboard a box presenting a system, a few inputs and a few outputs. Possible two ways of implementing the box: one is to multithread per input, one is to multithread by functions/modules, and run fixed # of threads per function/module and process inputs in a pipeline fashion. Compare the pros and cons of these two implementations.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate a lot since the hiring manager worked with me before.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in June 2011.

Interview

2 rounds of telephonic
    1 round online
    Onsite 1:1

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at VMware (Cambridge, MA) in December 2009.

Interview

As a former intern, there was no strict interviewing process. As a result of my internship project and presentation, before I completed my internship, an engineering manager extended an offer for full time employment upon graduation. After expressing interest in that verbal offer, I was told that a recruiter would be in touch with a written offer once some paperwork was completed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my base salary (by ~5%), but not my benefits. As benefits are fixed across the organization based on seniority, there was no wiggle room there (other than a verbal "if you really want extra time off, you can just take off an extra week or two each year unpaid as long as you give me enough warning").