VMware

3.2

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter. I had a quick interview with her, and at the end was told that I had passed it and the next step was the assessment day in Cork. She also told me to call her back in 24 hours to make sure my registration was confirmed. I did so - it was an international call as it was a UK number - and she told me that my place was actually confirmed and that they would book me the hotel in Cork - I just had to be there.
    The assessment day was two days after Easter, so I organized myself to be there. A few days before, another recruiter called me saying that they needed to check my Spanish skills, and we scheduled a call for that.
    But they didn't call, so I rang them to see if there was any problem. They apologized and scheduled another call in 24 hours. They didn't call also this time.
    After one day another recruiter called me and told me my place was cancelled due to my poor Spanish skills. I complained with her that I have been given 2 phone appointments to test my Spanish skills, haven't been called, so how can they know my Spanish isn't good enough? I have been studying it since high school, I attended one year of university in Spain, had a Spanish girlfriend for 2 years and wrote the final thesis of my Masters Degree in Spanish. Also, I complained that they told my my place had been confirmed ten days before and I already had organized myself to attend.
    After one day I received a mail from her boss confirming that I could not attend the assessment day - and that's all, they never answered me again.
    It felt like a waste of time, money and most of all like a bad joke - first confirming my attendance then cancelling it less than a week before the assessment day; refusing to test my Spanish skills and telling me they were too poor for the role...

Interview Questions
    • We will call you tomorrow at 4pm to test your Spanish skills   Answer Question

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in March 2013.

Telephone interviews, by HR, Supervisors, then senior manager.

No out of the ordinary questions. All expected interview questions about my experience, education, and plans going forward.

All team members were located in another country, which meant all telephone interviews no face to face.

Interview Questions
    • No out of the ordinary questions. All very standard interview questions.   View Answer
    Telephone offers, no movement in offer.

Tech Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in June 2011.

initial call from internal recruiter and went through what I currently do, salary etc. An interview was organised for the following week.
    The interview was a new process for me (maybe because I have'nt interviewed in a while) I was given scenarios and asked to explain different setups etc based on my CV content, not too much on the where do you see yourself in 5 years or what do you think you can offer. The main concern I would have is that you cannot be expected to answer questions of scenarios without knowing a companies various policies on what is supported etc, and it was a surprise to find the answer to one of the questions asked was to remove their product !
    Then to hear nothing for almost 3 weeks after was very poor on their side.

Interview Questions
    • a customer is not getting the required perf from hosting a single vm on a single esx   View Answer
    • what do you call a link between two loadbalancers   View Answer

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Applied via agency, spoke to 3 different people on site - 1 was a HR person, 1 a team lead and finally 1 technical engineer. Good impressions on the day but they never even bothered contacting me again. Even the agency vanished out of my life.
    Quite frustrating as I had already spoken to them on 2 telephone interviews and spent nearly half the day out there. I also spoke to HR in person during a visit to my previous employer who was cutting staff heavily.
    Also, this wasn't the first time VMware basically wasted my time. Twice in 2005 and 2006 I went through 4 interviews only to be told my skills were unsuitable. Strange that they spend so much time on interviews without respecting candidate or even bothering to reply.

As an after, they do cut back staff from time to time and often are making people redundant on one time while hiring in another. Not exactly ethical.

Pricing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in December 2009.

The interviewer was called me from overseas. He was rather aggressive; asking some appropriate (e.g. tell me about your experience so far, 3 elements of SOP legislation [I gave 4]) and completely inappropriate questions (do you have kids? I there's something I don't understand about your CV....(after explaining the point 3 times in 3 different ways)...I still don't understand, what am I missing here?)

Interview Questions
    • 3 elements/principles of SOP legislation. I was quite a specific question but it was mentioned in the Job Spec so easy to prepare for   View Answer

Inside Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in November 2009.

The initial interview was 1:1 with the hiring manager, regrettfully he left before the next stage. He was great and it was a very pleasant experience.
    Second was an phone interview with the Sales Director, he was nice, questions were fair.
    Third was a panel interview with Territory Sales Management. They were fair but could have been more polite.
    If you come up against the panel from the territory, back off it you get a negative feeling. The territory people have more power than they admit and you will work closer with them than you think. So you need to be able to work with them.
    HR people are very pleasant but drop you the minute you sign the contract. HR after that is not employee focussed.

Interview Questions
    • Do your distance learning BA studies not interfer with your work?   View Answer
    • Were would you find businesses to sell to?   Answer Question
    Salary and boni were not negotiable but fair.