VMware

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Santa Clarita, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in January 2011.

Interview Details – The initial HR contact was fine and the questionnaire about the application prior to the phone screening was pleasant and simple enough. However, when I spoke with the hiring manager: rather then focusing on administering the application in general, I was grilled on the specifics of a recent project that was a rather unusual configuration. As we got into it, I realized that giving away too many specifics might be violating the SLA my current company had with Perforce and at that point, I couldn't gracefully back-pedal out of his questions

Interview Question – how many year expereince?   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in December 2010.

Interview Details – One of the principals would notmake eye contact, seemeddisinterested as well as current principal. I guess the other two voted for and he voted present. I learned about the job objectives from the interview then the entire time ? was there. They cancelled the last 5 of my 6 ststus meetings.

Interview Question – How do you go about planning your project   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They meet my price.

Very Easy Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in August 2007.

Interview Details – everything from your initial communications with the company, organization and planning of the interview, number and type of interviews, and any advice you might offer to other interview candidates. Bonus points for your perceptions of the people, office, and work culture.

Interview Question – Please try to phrase as a question and/or be as detailed as possible about the technical problem, business case, etc   Answer Question

Engineering

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2009.

Interview Details – I received an email inquiring if I was still interested. I Replied yes.
We set up a phone screen interview where I was asked some technical questions mostly about Linux command and Java questions. I passed the phone screen and was invited to another phone interview with an expert and was literally grilled on Windows and Linux for about 60 minutes. I passed this. Then I was invited to another on-site interview. This went fairly well.

Interview Question – Write a function that takes a binary tree as input, and have it perform in order traversal.   View Answers (2)

Engineering

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in November 2009.

Interview Details – My job position was terminated, and i was forced to look else where. A verygood friend of mine, reffered me to VMWare. And immediately i was asked to solve a programing problem via email communication.

It took them a week to respond back to the solution. The response was positive and I was called in for an face to face interview. These communication was going on with the hiring manager and the actual scheduling was then done with the internal recuiter. The communication was clear and prompt.

During the face to face interview, the schedule was changed, but nothing alrming. On the day of interview met 9 people, which included hiring manager, recuiter, technical staff, org director. The question ranged from real life experience to solving problems and providing multiple and efficient solution to the problem.

Interview Question – Design a Hashtable.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware Engineering interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.