VMware

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by recruiter on Thursday, all day interviews on Monday and offer by Friday. Recruiter kept me informed the whole time and very organized the day of the interview.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They provided me their best offer and with upfront discussion it met my needs.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at VMware in August 2011.

Interview Details – Wonderful, fast, great interviewers, great campus, top notch experience all around.

Negotiation Details – Easy and straight forward..

Very Easy Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in March 2011.

Interview Details – Well coordinated once scheduled. It took a long time, however, to actually get scheduled (a month, believe it or not).

First contact was by phone and it was a very cursory conversation. The recruiter did not sell me on the company and the position, and I had an initial bad impression. Perhaps it was an attitude that everyone should want to work for VMware and that selling the company as an employer was not necessary? Hmmm. Not very realistic or humble.

In person, I had a completely different experience and the recruitment firm and interviewers spent a lot of time to paint a great picture of the opportunity that was a lot more enticing than what I originally envisioned in the screening process. Each interview was an hour long (which is great compared to many companies where you only have 1/2 hour to 45 minutes sometimes). I had a short amount of time to ask questions and I felt that the answers were honest and genuine. I felt a high energy and a positive perception about the company coming from the interviewers.

it is important to understand that this is a company that is rapidly continuing to grow, evolve and change. Uh, like building the boat and rowing it across the Pacific at the same time. Those who want maintenance need not apply. There is an atmosphere of continuous improvement with no chance to put your feet up and bask in any accomplishment (for more than an hour or two at the Friday afternoon beer bash). I find that appealing, actually (the beer AND the non-stop opportunity to add value). They need change agents and welcome change, innovation, new ideas, and reach for the stars type visions. I'm not sure that work-life balance figures into this kind of organization, but it is sure to offer much in the way of job opportunity for those who are still dedicated to building their career at the expense of other facets of life.

Interview Question – How do you lead? What makes you an effective leader?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I think the function has too many layers of management and this was going to limit my visibility and opportunity in the near term.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!