VMware

Interviewed at VMware

Interview Details – It was fantastic, very detailed

Interview Question – To explain and overcome failures   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in April 2012.

Interview Details – very lengthy process and multiple interviews. They bring in many people at once and it is very tedious

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in March 2011.

Interview Details – Can be disorganized and called last minute to give a offer from HR in Palo Alto, CA after going silent for 40 days. Now the company is going to extremes with new hires and discussions on more lengthy tests and on boarding training.

Interview Question – The favorite is to name all the Executives at VMware.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They have nothing in writing on commissions which is scary! I have since learned it is due to the lack of info they have on that- very old fashioned out dated process in all processes just about!

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was hired during a hiring blitz. Everything went smoothly and quickly. I started by talking momentarily with the recruiter and then answered on paper some situational sales questions about my experience. I emailed that back and had a follow-up call with the same recruiter the next day. We had a phone interview and then I went on-site to VMware in Austin where I had two interviews. The first interview was with one person and the second interview was with two people. I did not have to whiteboard anything as it was just Q & A. I was offered the job the next day and started about 2 weeks later. It was pretty fast, smooth and I'm loving working here.

Interview Question – Tell me about VMware   Answer Question

Reston, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at VMware in April 2011.

Interview Details – Very good, multiple people, good questions, very concerned that I was a good fit for the job and I would fit in. It was one of the best interview processes that I ever went through for any company

Interview Question – Why do I want the job   Answer Question

Austin, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in March 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by someone in HR at VMware who told me one of the Austin Sales Managers would be reaching out to me to set up a phone interview. I got an email from the manager a few days later and we talked the day after. We went over my resume (in depth), he asked behavioral questions, performance questions, and I asked him about the job. A week later I had another phone interview with a different sales manager. It was pretty much the same format. The interview experience was great.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for VMware?   View Answer
  • If I called your last supervisor, what would he/she say are two areas that you need to improve on?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in February 2012.

Interview Details – I met with VMware first at a career fair through The University of Georgia. Spoke with the representatives there first and gave them my resume. A few weeks later they sent me an email letting me know I had been chosen for a interview on campus. They came to our campus and interviewed 12 other students applying for the Inside Sales internship. I had a 1 on 1 interview with two of the Inside Sales managers. The interview was mostly just talking through my resume and explaining my past work experiences. There were a few behavioral questions like "What is something you could work on in your sales experiences so far?" or "What is one quality about yourself that you think you can work on?". Other than that there weren't many in depth behavioral questions. For me I made sure to keep drawing connections between my past experiences and how I handled them and how that could apply to working in the inside sales position. Then a week later they called me and offered me the position. That was basically it.
Things to focus on for a successful interview.
Know a lot about the company.
Connect your experiences to the position you are applying for.
Be willing to relocate.
Try to find a personal connection with the interviewer. A good portion of the interview we were talking about life and our perspectives on success and things of that nature. It helps to have the employer see not only your experience but also what you are like as a person. Let your personality come out in the interview.

Interview Questions

• What is a quality you could work on?   View Answer
  • What do you know about VMware and why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate with them because the offer they gave me was great. They are paying me more money than any other internship program and providing housing for the summer. They also offered to fly me out to Austin but I declined because I wanted my car there for the summer.

Palo Alto, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in January 2009.

Interview Details – VMware's interview process is pretty straight forward. They usually want you to meet with 2 managers & 2-3 people on the team doing the same role. You may look good on paper but they also want you to also fit in the VMware culture.

Interview Question – Who is your favorite comedian?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at VMware in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview and hiring process at VMware was as condensed and efficient as one could hope for. They were respectful of my time and need to give notice and there was no long drawn out, multiple interview scenario. One brief phone interview and one in person interview, and an offer five days later after two follow ups from me.

Negotiation Details – Fairly straightforward; consider the number of applicants for the position, the market, and whether you were recruited, or initiated the job search so that you don't negotiate yourself out of a position.

Austin, TX

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in February 2009.

Interview Details – Interview process was surprisingly straightforward, fast, and lacked many of the little mindgames that so many other employers make use of. My process was as follows:

1. Submitted Application Online
2. Phone interview with recruiter
3. Phone interview with hiring manager
4. Face-to-face interview with various managers and senior reps
5. Face-to-face interview with senior manager
6. Extension of offer and negotiation
7. Started!

After submitting my application, the recruiter got back to me almost immediately (submitted on the weekend and had an e-mail by 8AM Monday morning). We had a brief chat about the position and about my experience, he liked what he heard and decided to pass me on to the hiring manager. He didn't have a lot of answers to my detailed questions about day-to-day life in the position but since he was a general recruiter, that was okay.

My phone interview with the hiring manager was likewise straightforward. Basically about my expectations from the company, the requirements for the position, my attitude and background, etc. My knowledge about the product was also useful. My recommendation is to be "salesy," communicate excitement about the product and company, and to make sure to communicate you game plan for success in the position.

The first face-to-face interview was quite simply the best interview I have ever had. There are three people here, two senior sales reps and one manager. They are looking for culture fit, sales competence, and energy. They'll ask you again what your game plan is to succeed- the culture here is very open and much of your success is up to you. They emphasize that there isn't micromanagement or hand-holding and want to make sure you have a plan to succeed on your own. Culture is laid back, as I said before, but make sure to wear a suit and tie- I showed up dressed to the nines and they were wearing polos and jeans. Although I felt awkward they emphasized to me that it was a make-or-break. Demonstrate a passion for sales, an ability to manage yourself, and competency and excitement about the technology and you should do well. Don't talk about anything you aren't that solid on from a technology standpoint because you will get busted.

Last came the one-to-one with the senior manager. This was basically more of the same and they are gauging for personality/drive/culture fit at this point as they will have already flushed out all the people who don't meet the minimum requirements. Again, a go-getter attitude and a familiarity with the sales process and how things are done in IT sales will go a long way.

About an hour later I had a call from them offering me the job. Everything at VMware moved fast in the hiring process, to which I credit my recruiter. He was awesome and never left me hanging when it came to hearing back.

Overall, my hiring process was very very positive and went a long way to persuading me to join the team.

Interview Question – Let's say we put you in the territory tomorrow. What's your plan to be successful?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation is very straightforward, don't expect to get much more than they are offering you. Its based on previous income

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware Inside Sales Representative interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.