VMware Intern Interview Questions

Updated Apr 19, 2015

3.4

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

It took around 2 weeks to proceed the interview. I am asked to do some online coding test first and later a HR send me an email to schedule a on campus interview.
2 Software Engineers rotating interview. Pretty intensive and require fast coding skills.

Interview Questions

• Convert string to integer without using atoi and some algorithm problems   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware (Urbana, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Two 45-minute sessions, one is mostly about behavioral questions and introducing projects listed on the resume, the other is mostly coding on whiteboard. The first behavioral session also checks some basic programming knowledge about Python and C. The interviewer for the coding session looked a bit weird, and seems depressed and distracted by something else, she even had no knowledge about k-d tree.

Interview Questions

• Given many points on a coordinate plane, find the pair of points that is the closest among all pairs of points.   1 Answer
    • Given a string containing only English character, find the first unique character in the string, upper and lower cases should not be treated as the same character.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Burlington, MA) in December 2014.

Interview

My experience of interviewing with VMWare was great. The process was very systematic and the university relations recruiter was very co-operative and flexible about the interview timings. I got all the information that I asked for on time. I applied in Dec, 2014 and got a call within a week. The first round was a phone screen with the Manager. I got my result in 2 weeks. The second round was a technical phone screen with the Manager and a Sr MTS. The recruiter called me and told that my interview went good but they found a better fit for that role. But that manager suggested to forward my resume to some other team and my phone screen was scheduled with the other Manager. I think this is a very rare case where rather than rejecting straightaway, they tried to find a better fit for me and this impressed me a lot. I got the result that day itself and I was given a home assignment. I completed that and got the call for second phone screen in 10 days. My final interview with this new team was also a phone screening with a Sr MTS. In 4 days, I got the offer. I was made very comfortable in all my interviews and never felt nervous even if I coudn't answer few questions.

Interview Questions

• 1st team
      Phone Screen(1):
      Behavioral - Tell me about yourself? Why VMWare? What would you do if you are given 1 million dollars? Where do you see yourself after 5 years?
      Technical - Simple questions about my work experience and academic projects, what are generics in Java, would you write merge sort in java or use sort method? What do you know about REST?

Phone Screen(2)
      Technical - Each and everything from my resume including all my academic projects, questions from courses that I took.
      1) questions on Multi-threading, mutex, semaphore
      2) UML diagrams, Singleton design pattern
      3) TCP vs UDP
      4) What is MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit)
      5) Explain one routing algorithm
      6) Explain Merge sort, time and space complexity
      7) Explain one shortest path algo- explained Dijkstra. What if edge weights are negative (told Bellman-Ford)
      8) Implementation to find the merging point of a linked list. Space complexity

2nd team
      Phone Screen(1):
      Behavioral: Tell me about yourself? Which was the most interesting project that you did?
      Technical: Given a scenario, how to design it?

Home assignment: Related to REST web services

Phone Screen(2):
      1) Which was the most challenging project? What was the challenge and what did you do?
      2) Coding in Hackerrank, mainly javascript
      3) Design question on search engines

1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate as the compensation was good

Intern Interview

Interview

Had a telephonic interview. Mostly asked about my resume and my knowledge of Android programming. I did not know much about it at that time. So that was a minus point in my profile.

Interview Questions

• Asked about how to open sockets and the steps in socket programming.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me, went through phone screen, phone interview, and in person interview.

The recruiting process was somewhat jumbled - I was put in touch with 3 different recruiters, one of who forgot to tell me that my phone interview was scheduled. Otherwise, everyone was pretty good with response time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer was much higher than any other place I'd looked at for this type of position so I didn't negotiate.

Intern Interview

Interview

On Campus

Interview Questions

• So, as a freshman how will you be able to contribute to VMware?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview

On campus.
    Asked to write an algorithm for word Wrap.
    Asked about Hashing and hash code
    Sql question: display third highest salary of an employer
    Algorithm: knapsack and its efficiency

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at VMware.

Interview

HR called me to make appointment. Then an engineer called again who asked some background questions and coding question

Interview Questions

• how to implement atomic semaphore (dekker's algorithm )   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

It was long and pretty much a nightmare. I only ever had to interview once and it was a pretty intense interview, but getting in touch with the right people afterwards was challenging. You can tell there is a bit of a lack of communication between the different groups at vmware.

Interview Questions

• I do not really remember a lot of the questions, but almost everything I did iteratively had to be redone recursively and vice versa   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was kind of to good to have to negotiate anything

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

3 round phone interviews. Mostly behavior questions.