VMware

427 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – I sent my resume in via a friend who worked for the company and was telephoned the next day. They wanted to set up a phone interview. I was called when we had set up our time and it was clear the interviewer was at home. As I could hear dogs barking. However I think that is part of the atmosphere at VMWare. Stay at home to work and laid back.

She asked me if I was interested in the company and what my main goal was. General interview questions nothing hard. She then told me about the rest of the interview process which involved hypothetically selling coffee to a group of VMware employees and then a more on the spot sales presentation with some VMware managers.

She said she would call me to schedule those interviews. I never received a follow up phone call.

Interview Question – What are your goals regarding your career and how you will contribute to this company or any?   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Technical Program Manager

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Interview Details – A vmware recruiter contacted me for a phone interview after I applied online. The recruiter rattled off 10-20 stock questions on her sheet. Very cold demeanor, told me I only had 1-2min to answer each question and cut me off as I was talking. Not surprisingly, my answers didn't fit into whatever stock answers she had and I never heard from anyone at vmware again.

Interview Question – None too difficult, just cliche type program management questions.   Answer Question

Pricing Interview

Pricing

I applied through other source and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – The interviewer was 37 minutes late to the interview.
The interviewer had great difficulty speaking English.
The interviewer eventually brought up the fact that they do not pay for relocation (ACROSS THE COUNTRY) when their posted job ad specifically states they did (and all similar jobs of this caliber would pay Relo).

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Technical - on par with bay-area's best. Very technical / in-depth discussions / past experience is the key. Algorithms / Data Structures / Typical Computer Science essentials. Essentially hands on coding will go a very very long way, keep writing code to ace the interview.

Interview Question – Solving some very complex puzzles in limited time.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – I had a very bad experience with VMWare recruiters, twice...and both the times it was the same unpleasant experience. They contacted me to interview for a position and I gave them few slots for tech screens. Then they told me that they are not hiring any more and the email was full of spelling errors. The whole experience seemed very unprofessional.

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me, went through phone screen, phone interview, and in person interview.

The recruiting process was somewhat jumbled - I was put in touch with 3 different recruiters, one of who forgot to tell me that my phone interview was scheduled. Otherwise, everyone was pretty good with response time.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual, everything was pretty standard   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was much higher than any other place I'd looked at for this type of position so I didn't negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Process Optimization Analyst Interview

Process Optimization Analyst

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in July 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process was conducted through a recruiting firm and all interviews were scheduled through them directly. There were a total of two interviews, both over the phone.

The first interview was a basic "why do you want this" and "what is your experience" with the woman who would be my manager. She seemed extremely new to management (this might have been her first interview) and didn't conduct the interview professionally at all, so it was a breeze.

My second interview was conducted by the director of the department, who was much more professional. He only wanted to know why I wanted the job. One question and the interview was over. About 30 minutes later they called with an offer.

Interview Question – The questions were very standard. "Why do you want this job" and "Walk through a process improvement you have performed."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I raised my price slightly and they countered with something appropropriate right off the bat. I accepted their first counter offer.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in June 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process began with an application and resume submission on VMware's website. The interview was conducted at their Austin offices. I went through a series of two interviews with a single hiring manager. Both interviews were personable and relaxed.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable with dealing with analyzing software keys, finding faults, and cold calling fortune 500 companies to update their software licenses?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Question – Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer II Interview

Technical Support Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a VMware recruiter about a week after submitting my application.

There was an initial phone screening with a verbal skills test. I answered a series of questions related to Windows administration, general networking and technology, and a few command line questions. There was some confusing wording on a couple of the questions, but when the recruiter saw that I was getting to the point he gave me little hints to help compensate for it.

I only missed one or two of these questions, after which time I was told that a Skype interview would be set up and that I would be contacted with further details. The next day I had an "in-person" scheduled over Skype for the following week.

The interview began with an introduction from the hiring manager, followed by questions from two Senior TSE's. Questions were regarding ESXi, vSphere, storage, and network, as it relates to datacenter connectivity and VMware products, particularly. They ranged in difficulty, and when I got to the point where I did not know an answer I would let them know.

There were a few about Windows administration, but not many, and a few general questions just to gauge my experience. This process went well and I was able to answer most of their queries without any issue. This took a little over 40 minutes and it was slated for 30.

In speaking with the hiring manager, I was told that I should sell myself and let him know just why I was their guy. This was easy since I believe in the company and their products, and had with me a natural enthusiasm from the hiring process as a whole. I was asked questions about customer service and how I had handled accounts in the past, and was also asked how I might be viewed by my current co-workers, boss, and clients. When it was my turn to ask questions, I was sure to hit on every point of interest about the company or culture that I had. I kept a prepared list that I referred to. I was sure to engage the manager in his own realm of expertise so that I could learn more about him and the company.

This portion took a little over an hour. The entire interview was scheduled to be an hour and a half, so when the manager had to go it was because of overlapping schedules. I asked if I could follow up and if I had answered everything as fully as I could. I was given an email address and told that I would be in touch with their decision.

I also followed up with the recruiter to let him know if they chose someone else that I would still be interested in any other positions they had, be it something suitable for my experience.

After about a week and a half I was contacted by a recruiter at the local office where I would be working and was told that I was selected out of the candidates to join the team. I was extended an offer, pending background check. I did try to negotiate salary, but was told that the offer was well thought out on their part based on my experience. I agreed with this (only having asked for a little more out of protocol) and accepted the offer.

The background check took about 8 days to complete.

It was exactly 4 weeks from the time of the Skype interview to my first day. VMware culture is wonderful and it is truly a great place to work!

Interview Question – "What does APD mean?"

Something about, "Name an interface that allows for applications to communicate with web based content or software"... the answer is API, but the question is more strangely worded.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I followed standard negotiation protocol and asked for a bit more, though not above a certain percentage. I was told the offer was well though out based on the position and my experience. I happily agreed and accepted.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!