VMware

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

3.2

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

I actually interviewed more than once for two separate TAM roles. The first round went through a series of 6 phone interviews. From what I understand I was final round but didn't get it. That started off with a technical interview which was a lot of questions surrounding the product stack. Be aware of new products and versions of vCloud, vSphere, vCAC, vCops, etc...

Not sure if that many interviews is typical. The second time I applied was when they called me back after 5 months for another opening. This interview process took around a month and was a few more interviews technical, and scenario type questions. I'd suggest preparing notes with product info, as well as focusing on use case examples of your resume history.

Interview Questions
    • The scenario questions are more of "what would you do in this situation". A lot of high level overview scenarios along the lines of how you deal with business stakeholders, interact with account teams, handle difficult conversations like customer pain points. Again, discuss use cases where you've implemented their products and what business problems you solved with them.   Answer Question
    Very happy with the offer, didn't negotiate.

PhD Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in December 2014.

I met the recruiter and one of the staffs during the tech talk at my school. He is mainly resposible for recruting PhD student in VMware. We first figure out possible groups that are suitable for my research and then start the interview process.

My interviewer was another staff from VMware. We first went through my resume and I explained my research to him. He seemed not that interested to me but we continued with 2 technical questions: what is context switch, explain hash table implementation. I think I answered most of them. The coding part was translate a sorted list in to a balanced BTree, which is easier than I expected. This interview ended with a simple Q&A.

Interview Questions
    • What if we have no idea the key space of a hash table. How to modify the implementation to avoid collision.   View Answer

Have other plan

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware.

The recruiter asked me some basic Windows questions after I passed that phase I had an onsite interview. Each Escalation Engineer there were 4-5 people had asked multiple questions based on a scenario to see your troubleshooting methodology. If they asked about a network printer what would you do to get it to work it would start pretty basic and they kept going until your ideas had run out. It differs between each department what questions are asked. There were no right or wrong answers. Windows troubleshooting skills are what they are looking for. If you pass that phase you will meet with the managers. They will discuss & recommend for an yes or no to an offer.

Interview Questions
    • They expanded each question asked which increasingly was more difficult. They wanted to see if you painted yourself into a corner or if you could expand outside of the box.   Answer Question
    They made an offer and I accepted.

Sales Interview

very long and tedious. I had 5 phone interviews and then 4 in person interviews. they sat me down in a small conference room and I had 4 back to back interview all asking the same questions, which took up to an hour.

Intern Interview

Had a telephonic interview. Mostly asked about my resume and my knowledge of Android programming. I did not know much about it at that time. So that was a minus point in my profile.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about how to open sockets and the steps in socket programming.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in October 2014.

I had two back-to-back interviews with VMware on my college campus.

The first interview was with a hiring manager. It was non-technical and lasted 45 minutes. It primarily consisted of a brain-teaser question unrelated to software. This interviewer was professional and informative.

The second interview was easily the worst I've ever had. The interviewer was arrogant, impatient (to the point of interrupting me to ask the next question), and made it clear within the first 10 seconds that he had no interest in interviewing me. The first question he asked was a brain-teaser unrelated to software. The second question he asked was an algorithm question. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and I fully regret not walking out after the first 5.

Based on this experience I would never consider working for VMware.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware in October 2014.

It is a On campus interview. At first I take the online quiz on the Hackerrank.com. Then they managed a interview in the campus. The interviewer can not write code, only ask me a puzzle. And then ask me about the resume. The whole interview last about 30 minutes. And a week later, I get the result.

Interview Questions
    • Given 25 horses, and 5 tracks. Only at most 5 horses can be in one round's match. Ask at least how many rounds to get the three most fast horses.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff II Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in October 2014.

I had one phone interview where interviewer dove into the nitty-gritty questions about JavaScript. It was a very pleasant interview with fair questions for a Technical Lead. I went for an on-site interview later where I talked to the hiring manager, one back-end developer, 2 front-end developers and another manager. The last person I talked to was from HR to see if I was a cultural fit for the company.

Interview Questions
    • The hardest questions were involving JavaScript Event Loop details.   Answer Question
    • Design and develop a web application where you can create slides and make a presentation.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

At least 7 recruiters from VMware called me, got days and times mixed up, asked the same questions over and over...(why they didn't cc each other, I don't know) and then finally set up my technical interview. My first interviewer was impressed with me and I got to the second round. There were two ladies interviewing me on the second round. They spoke in hushed tones to each other while I was talking (such I found very rude and distracting), talked about how busy they were these days and barely had any serious questions for me. I emailed 4 of the recruiters back twice and no-one even had the courtesy to say they weren't interested. All in all a waste of time. Oh and I wasn't even looking for a job, they found me on LinkedIn and hounded me till I have my number for a phone call.
    Speaks volumes for their lack of professionalism.

New College Graduate AndOpportunities Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

I applied on my school's career service website, and received an email from VMWare to take an online test on HackRank. There were 5 coding questions to be completed in 1.5 hours. Two days later, I got an email notification from my school's career service to set up a campus interview. The interview consisted of two 45 minutes parts. The first one was a brain teaser and some regular first-round questions such as self introduction and what do you know about our company. The second one was another brain teaser and a coding question. I heard from the recruiter that this was just a general preselect interview, candidates will only get into a formal position-specific recruiting process if any technical groups in the company have matching positions.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't expect brain teasers in the interview, so when I got the first one to solve, I was quite surprised, since that was the very first part of the interview after very short greeting from the recruiter. It was not that hard, but I didn't get the best answer in time. I feel I did not bad in the second part, so I guess this brain teaser was the reason I didn't enter the next round.   Answer Question