VMware

418 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Question – Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer II Interview

Technical Support Engineer II

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a VMware recruiter about a week after submitting my application.

There was an initial phone screening with a verbal skills test. I answered a series of questions related to Windows administration, general networking and technology, and a few command line questions. There was some confusing wording on a couple of the questions, but when the recruiter saw that I was getting to the point he gave me little hints to help compensate for it.

I only missed one or two of these questions, after which time I was told that a Skype interview would be set up and that I would be contacted with further details. The next day I had an "in-person" scheduled over Skype for the following week.

The interview began with an introduction from the hiring manager, followed by questions from two Senior TSE's. Questions were regarding ESXi, vSphere, storage, and network, as it relates to datacenter connectivity and VMware products, particularly. They ranged in difficulty, and when I got to the point where I did not know an answer I would let them know.

There were a few about Windows administration, but not many, and a few general questions just to gauge my experience. This process went well and I was able to answer most of their queries without any issue. This took a little over 40 minutes and it was slated for 30.

In speaking with the hiring manager, I was told that I should sell myself and let him know just why I was their guy. This was easy since I believe in the company and their products, and had with me a natural enthusiasm from the hiring process as a whole. I was asked questions about customer service and how I had handled accounts in the past, and was also asked how I might be viewed by my current co-workers, boss, and clients. When it was my turn to ask questions, I was sure to hit on every point of interest about the company or culture that I had. I kept a prepared list that I referred to. I was sure to engage the manager in his own realm of expertise so that I could learn more about him and the company.

This portion took a little over an hour. The entire interview was scheduled to be an hour and a half, so when the manager had to go it was because of overlapping schedules. I asked if I could follow up and if I had answered everything as fully as I could. I was given an email address and told that I would be in touch with their decision.

I also followed up with the recruiter to let him know if they chose someone else that I would still be interested in any other positions they had, be it something suitable for my experience.

After about a week and a half I was contacted by a recruiter at the local office where I would be working and was told that I was selected out of the candidates to join the team. I was extended an offer, pending background check. I did try to negotiate salary, but was told that the offer was well thought out on their part based on my experience. I agreed with this (only having asked for a little more out of protocol) and accepted the offer.

The background check took about 8 days to complete.

It was exactly 4 weeks from the time of the Skype interview to my first day. VMware culture is wonderful and it is truly a great place to work!

Interview Question – "What does APD mean?"

Something about, "Name an interface that allows for applications to communicate with web based content or software"... the answer is API, but the question is more strangely worded.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I followed standard negotiation protocol and asked for a bit more, though not above a certain percentage. I was told the offer was well though out based on the position and my experience. I happily agreed and accepted.

Segment Solutions Marketing Manager Interview

Segment Solutions Marketing Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for a Field Marketing Position, but their "scouting" recruiter (a contractor) convinced me that I was more suited for another role she had a req for, so she submitted me for their Solutions Marketing position instead. I did 3 phone interviews and then had 7 in-person interviews... I sent thank you notes to all the interviewers, followed up at timely and regular intervals with both the Lead Recruiter and the hiring manager... and never heard a single word about the position. They would not respond to my voicemails or my emails, not even a form email telling me they had filled the position and thanking me for my time.

Interview Question – The first 6 of the the interviewers asked good questions and reinforced that I would be a great fit based on my skills and personality... Basically telling me what I wanted to hear about the position. The 7th interviewer (their Sr. Director) was brutally honest, he told me what the job would really be like (very different from what the more jr. folks described), and said that based on the breadth my background he didn't feel that I would be happy in this role that he felt was very restricted in scope.   Answer Question

Curriculum Production Specialist Interview

Curriculum Production Specialist

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at VMware in March 2013.

Interview Details – Was brought in as a contractor and worked 3 months before being hired on. Had interviewed for the position 15 months earlier but another was hired. Process was fine as I was a referred candidate by an employee in the group I worked in.

Interview Question – Do not remember any specifics as I was an employee referral.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Non-eventful, got within the range that I wanted and was available for the position.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Product Marketing Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in June 2014.

Interview Details – First contact with recruiter to set up a phone interview. Went well. we connected each other. She recommended me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. I talked with a Sr Product Marketing Manager. Call lasted 30mns. I asked a lot of questions to see if I can fit in the organization. Three days later I received an email from recruiter that they were not selecting me for the next stage. Reason: not skill set wise.

Interview Question – Introduce yourself. Past experiences.   Answer Question

R&D Manager Interview

R&D Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied online and a recruiter reached out to me after 3 or 4 weeks. In addition to the R&D management position I had applied for, he also wanted to gauge my interest in another tech lead position that he had forwarded along in his mail.

There have been few other posts regarding the poor manners and attitude of VMware recruiters. I'd have to second that.

First of all, the recruiter tried to sell me this another tech lead role in Palo Alto and went in great lengths to impress me on the kind of A+ star talent they recruit. I declined on his offer since I was already solidly on management leadership role and it did not make sense to make a U turn even though I had all the skill sets and experience to fit into the tech lead role as well. He downplayed the management position I was interested in claiming it to be a "lesser priority" role than the tech position.

Next, without checking on my availability, he fired off an impromptu phone interview and took up the next 30 mins asking me various tech questions on topics ranging from C++ programming to OS level concepts - threading etc, to networking. Well, I pretty much easily answered every single question asked and the recruiter was like wow, this was the first time I have had someone answer with such promptness and confidence. In spite of this, I was kinda surprised by the attitude of the recruiter to "assess" without a heads-up. Now that he had a great impression of my solid tech skill sets, he said he would immediately forward my application to the director of the group.

NOTE: Next came the unethical part of interview. He wanted to know my marital status by asking "if there would be others apart from me who would relocate if offered the job". Lol, what a devilish way to not directly ask personal details! Even though I knew this was none of his business, I answered that my family would relocate as well. This was the last question.

1 week later, I checked back with the recruiter on the status of my application and he said that they would not be moving forward on my application. I was plain irritated and disappointed by the company and its recruiting process. If they are not interested, why reach out to me in the first place and waste my time in interviewing and selling me other positions as well?

I was reading other reviews on VMware interview and few others had also mentioned something about recruiters asking personal questions such as marital status. It leads me to think if there is something unethical going on potentially discriminating applicants on marital status?

On the whole, very negative impression of the company and its recruiters.

Interview Question – Marital status!   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Senior Program Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – The interview process process started with a recruiter and then a hiring manager interview. Both went well as as expected. Was asked to interview and they moved the timeframe forward by four days because they wanted to get me in and do a face to face. Once the four interviews were completed with one on the phone, the hiring manager asked me to speak with two others via phone and wanted to know when I could start.

Interview Question – The most difficult was the fact that no one had explained the organizational structure, where they fit, and how what they did woudl intersect with the person playing this role.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Interview Details – There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Question – How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Desktop Support Interview

Desktop Support
Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in August 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews / 1 in-person. It took a total of 2 months to get an offer. Technical questions and situational questions. Windows/Linux/Mac/ESX. "Say this happens...how would you go about fixing it?" "

Interview Question – Technical questions   Answer Question

Senior Manager R&D Interview

Senior Manager R&D
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details – The process was clearly explained from the start. Phone interviews with HR and senior tech lead followed by 2 rounds of interview. The team was clearly outlined and I any questions or concerns were promptly addressed.

Interview Question – My technical and negotiaton skills were extensively explored.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated the title but not the package. I'd requested that any package offer be competitive as I was not keen on negotiating.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!