VMware Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2015
Updated Mar 27, 2015

3.2

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

I had four interviews consisting of three technical and one behavioral. Great experience and relativity fast for such a large company. In one week I had my first three interviews with the fourth the following week. Interviewers were (and are) very intelligent and can see past any BS, so you must know your stuff and be willing and able to adapt the company's culture and values as your own.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware.

Recruiter called up sounding very enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions too like what is time complexity of binary search algorithm, what is mutex, what is polymorphism etc. Then he setup a phone interview with an engineer.

The engineer spent nearly 30 mins discussing about my resume and a locking problem in multithreading environment. Then he asked me to write code using collabedit. I was not able to complete coding because the interviewer could not clarify in what form he expected the output to be returned from the function. I discussed my algorithm and different approaches that could be used.

Why ask an interview question about which you yourself are not clear about the type of output you want. Anyways, never heard back from the recruiter about the feedback on the phone screen. Although I knew they would say "no" since I did not complete the coding, don't they have the courtesy to write a one liner email saying we will not be proceeding at this time.

And to the interviewer, make sure at least you know what you really want out of the question. Be ready to give concrete answers for any clarifications to the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Given: Binary tree and a target Sum
      Expected Result: All paths where sum of nodes along path is equal to target sum
      Assumption: Path starts at Root and ends at Leaf

Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in March 2015.

Two 45-minute sessions, one is mostly about behavioral questions and introducing projects listed on the resume, the other is mostly coding on whiteboard. The first behavioral session also checks some basic programming knowledge about Python and C. The interviewer for the coding session looked a bit weird, and seems depressed and distracted by something else, she even had no knowledge about k-d tree.

Interview Questions
    • Given many points on a coordinate plane, find the pair of points that is the closest among all pairs of points.   View Answer
    • Given a string containing only English character, find the first unique character in the string, upper and lower cases should not be treated as the same character.   View Answer

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

Initial phone interview. I knew this was just a phone screen. Since they bothered to call me, i guess they felt I was worth talking to. However, this phone screen was apparently very valuable to them instead of meeting in person or at least looking optimistically at an applicant's potential for learning on the job. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH LEARNING A FEW THINGS ON THE JOB?

Interview Questions
    • Disgusting phone interview. I didn't get further than that. Job was somewhat low-level and my resume and email clearly stated what I knew. Instead, the interviewer (and would-be manager) headed me off with questions well beyond that. I didn't mind, given that I can learn, but he apparently didn't think so - literally chuckling at me over the phone towards the end of the interview. He apparently couldn't understand that a guy can learn. Instead he treated the work as some unattainable black art, evidently NOT even wishing to see me in person. What, they don't have training materials at VMware? So judgemental and sickening. I was looking forward to working there too, but my hopes were completely dashed by this crummy behavior - of laughing at a job applicant. I wonder how many potentially good employees this company destroyed. A despicable job interview, probably meant to hire someone overseas or something.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at VMware.

Had several rounds of phone interviews with cross teams and in teams. Invited on-site but it was not a great experience. Not sure if I was in the midst of their urgent projects deliverables but the interviewer' minds were on other pressing things. Process took around 3 weeks end to end.

Marketing Consultant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter and had less than twenty four hours to get ready for the digital marketing division's request to interview. I quickly made arrangements and made the drive out from SF area. The interview was with three people. People were nice enough, though their were problems with the job put forth. The agency switched it with another job and once I arrived, I was told it was not a marketing job at all. There were apologies for the late notice to prep as well. There was nothing remarkable about the company, and it all seemed like such a mediocre experience. I couldn't tell who was telling the truth in regards to the last minute notice, as both parties blamed each other (not a good sign).

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any questions for us?   View Answer
    • Note: the interview with each person was for about 20 minutes. I interviewed with three total.   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

From the beginning working with the recruiters to the people I interviewed with my experience was stellar. Vmware handles the process with the upmost of professionalism!
    Paul also was helpful with advice and was very communicative throughout the process. Interviewing while you have a job can be very stressful but this was not the case with Vmware.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate much because the offer was very fair and the opportunity was great.

Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in January 2015.

Phone interview first HR recruiter and hiring manager, then after set up phone interviews (3) with senior member and asked to come down to HQ for f2f with senior leaderships (4)... All above process took 4 months.

Partner Compliance Analyst, Austin Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in January 2015.

A HR contacted me in Dec, 2015, just before Christmas, asking for my resume. At first I did not notice it. In Jan 20th I replied. And I got a phone call to schedule my phone interview with department director on 28th. The interview went pretty well. The director said that she was very impressed. And I went into the 2nd round interview with the manager. They said they just want me to meet with team member and the final decision will be made in a week after that.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Channel Operations in VMware?
      What do you expect to get from internship in Vmware?(Actually same to why Vmware)

failure&success weakness&strength

View Answer

Immigration Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

The interviewing/ hiring process was very concise. It was super easy on my end. I went through a 45 minute phone screen then that was followed up with an in person interview that lasted about three hours.

I'd suggest preparing notes with product info, as well as focusing on use case examples of your resume history.

Interview Questions
    • How often do you speak to lawyers regarding employment?

I was taken off guard with this question. This isn't usually a standard question for recruiters.

View Answer