VMware

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.2

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

Initial phone interview. I knew this was just a phone screen. Since they bothered to call me, i guess they felt I was worth talking to. However, this phone screen was apparently very valuable to them instead of meeting in person or at least looking optimistically at an applicant's potential for learning on the job. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH LEARNING A FEW THINGS ON THE JOB?

Interview Questions
    • Disgusting phone interview. I didn't get further than that. Job was somewhat low-level and my resume and email clearly stated what I knew. Instead, the interviewer (and would-be manager) headed me off with questions well beyond that. I didn't mind, given that I can learn, but he apparently didn't think so - literally chuckling at me over the phone towards the end of the interview. He apparently couldn't understand that a guy can learn. Instead he treated the work as some unattainable black art, evidently NOT even wishing to see me in person. What, they don't have training materials at VMware? So judgemental and sickening. I was looking forward to working there too, but my hopes were completely dashed by this crummy behavior - of laughing at a job applicant. I wonder how many potentially good employees this company destroyed. A despicable job interview, probably meant to hire someone overseas or something.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at VMware.

Had several rounds of phone interviews with cross teams and in teams. Invited on-site but it was not a great experience. Not sure if I was in the midst of their urgent projects deliverables but the interviewer' minds were on other pressing things. Process took around 3 weeks end to end.

Marketing Consultant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter and had less than twenty four hours to get ready for the digital marketing division's request to interview. I quickly made arrangements and made the drive out from SF area. The interview was with three people. People were nice enough, though their were problems with the job put forth. The agency switched it with another job and once I arrived, I was told it was not a marketing job at all. There were apologies for the late notice to prep as well. There was nothing remarkable about the company, and it all seemed like such a mediocre experience. I couldn't tell who was telling the truth in regards to the last minute notice, as both parties blamed each other (not a good sign).

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any questions for us?   View Answer
    • Note: the interview with each person was for about 20 minutes. I interviewed with three total.   Answer Question

Senior Account Executive Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

From the beginning working with the recruiters to the people I interviewed with my experience was stellar. Vmware handles the process with the upmost of professionalism!
    Paul also was helpful with advice and was very communicative throughout the process. Interviewing while you have a job can be very stressful but this was not the case with Vmware.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate much because the offer was very fair and the opportunity was great.

Partner Compliance Analyst, Austin Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in January 2015.

A HR contacted me in Dec, 2015, just before Christmas, asking for my resume. At first I did not notice it. In Jan 20th I replied. And I got a phone call to schedule my phone interview with department director on 28th. The interview went pretty well. The director said that she was very impressed. And I went into the 2nd round interview with the manager. They said they just want me to meet with team member and the final decision will be made in a week after that.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Channel Operations in VMware?
      What do you expect to get from internship in Vmware?(Actually same to why Vmware)

failure&success weakness&strength

View Answer

Immigration Recruiter Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

The interviewing/ hiring process was very concise. It was super easy on my end. I went through a 45 minute phone screen then that was followed up with an in person interview that lasted about three hours.

Interview Questions
    • How often do you speak to lawyers regarding employment?

I was taken off guard with this question. This isn't usually a standard question for recruiters.

View Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

I actually interviewed more than once for two separate TAM roles. The first round went through a series of 6 phone interviews. From what I understand I was final round but didn't get it. That started off with a technical interview which was a lot of questions surrounding the product stack. Be aware of new products and versions of vCloud, vSphere, vCAC, vCops, etc...

Not sure if that many interviews is typical. The second time I applied was when they called me back after 5 months for another opening. This interview process took around a month and was a few more interviews technical, and scenario type questions. I'd suggest preparing notes with product info, as well as focusing on use case examples of your resume history.

Interview Questions
    • The scenario questions are more of "what would you do in this situation". A lot of high level overview scenarios along the lines of how you deal with business stakeholders, interact with account teams, handle difficult conversations like customer pain points. Again, discuss use cases where you've implemented their products and what business problems you solved with them.   Answer Question
    Very happy with the offer, didn't negotiate.

PhD Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in December 2014.

I met the recruiter and one of the staffs during the tech talk at my school. He is mainly resposible for recruting PhD student in VMware. We first figure out possible groups that are suitable for my research and then start the interview process.

My interviewer was another staff from VMware. We first went through my resume and I explained my research to him. He seemed not that interested to me but we continued with 2 technical questions: what is context switch, explain hash table implementation. I think I answered most of them. The coding part was translate a sorted list in to a balanced BTree, which is easier than I expected. This interview ended with a simple Q&A.

Interview Questions
    • What if we have no idea the key space of a hash table. How to modify the implementation to avoid collision.   View Answer

Have other plan

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware.

The recruiter asked me some basic Windows questions after I passed that phase I had an onsite interview. Each Escalation Engineer there were 4-5 people had asked multiple questions based on a scenario to see your troubleshooting methodology. If they asked about a network printer what would you do to get it to work it would start pretty basic and they kept going until your ideas had run out. It differs between each department what questions are asked. There were no right or wrong answers. Windows troubleshooting skills are what they are looking for. If you pass that phase you will meet with the managers. They will discuss & recommend for an yes or no to an offer.

Interview Questions
    • They expanded each question asked which increasingly was more difficult. They wanted to see if you painted yourself into a corner or if you could expand outside of the box.   Answer Question
    They made an offer and I accepted.

Sales Interview

very long and tedious. I had 5 phone interviews and then 4 in person interviews. they sat me down in a small conference room and I had 4 back to back interview all asking the same questions, which took up to an hour.