VMware

413 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Question – Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Product Marketing Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in June 2014.

Interview Details – First contact with recruiter to set up a phone interview. Went well. we connected each other. She recommended me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. I talked with a Sr Product Marketing Manager. Call lasted 30mns. I asked a lot of questions to see if I can fit in the organization. Three days later I received an email from recruiter that they were not selecting me for the next stage. Reason: not skill set wise.

Interview Question – Introduce yourself. Past experiences.   Answer Question

R&D Manager Interview

R&D Manager
Bellevue, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had applied online and a recruiter reached out to me after 3 or 4 weeks. In addition to the R&D management position I had applied for, he also wanted to gauge my interest in another tech lead position that he had forwarded along in his mail.

There have been few other posts regarding the poor manners and attitude of VMware recruiters. I'd have to second that.

First of all, the recruiter tried to sell me this another tech lead role in Palo Alto and went in great lengths to impress me on the kind of A+ star talent they recruit. I declined on his offer since I was already solidly on management leadership role and it did not make sense to make a U turn even though I had all the skill sets and experience to fit into the tech lead role as well. He downplayed the management position I was interested in claiming it to be a "lesser priority" role than the tech position.

Next, without checking on my availability, he fired off an impromptu phone interview and took up the next 30 mins asking me various tech questions on topics ranging from C++ programming to OS level concepts - threading etc, to networking. Well, I pretty much easily answered every single question asked and the recruiter was like wow, this was the first time I have had someone answer with such promptness and confidence. In spite of this, I was kinda surprised by the attitude of the recruiter to "assess" without a heads-up. Now that he had a great impression of my solid tech skill sets, he said he would immediately forward my application to the director of the group.

NOTE: Next came the unethical part of interview. He wanted to know my marital status by asking "if there would be others apart from me who would relocate if offered the job". Lol, what a devilish way to not directly ask personal details! Even though I knew this was none of his business, I answered that my family would relocate as well. This was the last question.

1 week later, I checked back with the recruiter on the status of my application and he said that they would not be moving forward on my application. I was plain irritated and disappointed by the company and its recruiting process. If they are not interested, why reach out to me in the first place and waste my time in interviewing and selling me other positions as well?

I was reading other reviews on VMware interview and few others had also mentioned something about recruiters asking personal questions such as marital status. It leads me to think if there is something unethical going on potentially discriminating applicants on marital status?

On the whole, very negative impression of the company and its recruiters.

Interview Question – Marital status!   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Senior Program Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – The interview process process started with a recruiter and then a hiring manager interview. Both went well as as expected. Was asked to interview and they moved the timeframe forward by four days because they wanted to get me in and do a face to face. Once the four interviews were completed with one on the phone, the hiring manager asked me to speak with two others via phone and wanted to know when I could start.

Interview Question – The most difficult was the fact that no one had explained the organizational structure, where they fit, and how what they did woudl intersect with the person playing this role.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Interview Details – There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Question – How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Desktop Support Interview

Desktop Support
Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in August 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews / 1 in-person. It took a total of 2 months to get an offer. Technical questions and situational questions. Windows/Linux/Mac/ESX. "Say this happens...how would you go about fixing it?" "

Interview Question – Technical questions   Answer Question

Senior Manager R&D Interview

Senior Manager R&D
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details – The process was clearly explained from the start. Phone interviews with HR and senior tech lead followed by 2 rounds of interview. The team was clearly outlined and I any questions or concerns were promptly addressed.

Interview Question – My technical and negotiaton skills were extensively explored.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated the title but not the package. I'd requested that any package offer be competitive as I was not keen on negotiating.

VMware Project Manager Interview

VMware Project Manager

Interviewed at VMware

Interview Details – Hiring process with very easy back in the old days as I worked with the VMware team. The hiring process was more of an internal move between EMC and VMware

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

FP&A Intern (MBA) Interview

FP&A Intern (MBA)
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interview after initial HR screening. First round was with hiring manager. A simple case and behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. It was more to check my interest in the firm and the business. The hiring manager was really nice and he helped me understand the role and expectations.
Second round was more a conversation.

Interview Question – Why tech sector when you don't have any prior experience and what do you understand about business and services that VMware provide.   Answer Question

Escalation Manager Interview

Escalation Manager

Interviewed at VMware

Interview Details – several rounds of interview and scenario based questions - prepare to have at least 7-10 interviews spanning several days. Technical background a must but not in-depth technical knowledge is essential

Interview Question – fairly simple , logical questions   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware interview questions and advice. All 413 interview reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.