VMware Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014
Updated Sep 17, 2014

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

30 min phone screen and a 4.5 hour full loop interview; mostly technical coding questions and some SOAR stories; The first 3 rounds were full coding and with hiring manager it was mostly explaining projects and design questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Very bad experience with VMware. I took the phone interview on Aug. They gave me an onsite on Sep. 18th. 10 days before the onsite, they send me an email and told me they have to remove me from the onsite since they realize I am a new graduate student. I have to cancle my ticked and reschedule all my other interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2010.

Two Phone interviews followed by detailed technical interview in person. The interview was typical of top technical companies. Unlike google or facebook who dwell only on CS fundamentals, here they also go in depth on domain knowledge. Some focused primarily on coding questions. Many interviews were focused on what I have done and if I could provide details of my current work and broader picture of technologies used.

Interview Questions
    • Details about exactly how storage systems worked at protocol level
      Many coding questions and solve problems on paper/board
        View Answer
    Back in those days I could negotiate some RSUs

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

I found this job on all the boards (Monster, Brass Ring, etc). They said they had "hundreds" of resumes submitted. I phone interviewed first with a member of the team (who would become my peer). Then I met him in person. Then I had a call with his peer. Then I had a call with the hiring manager. Then I had a call with that manager's manager. I also had a call with the salesperson aligned with the role. Then I had a face to face meeting with the VP of the group, the whole team, and another salesperson.

It was between me and one other candidate, and I took the initiative to meet with the most senior member of the team and a few others. I was told that it pushed me over the edge and got me the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Senior VP asked me detailed questions about where I thought the market for certain products was headed. I had lots to say, and I felt that I nailed it.   Answer Question
    I tried but got nothing more than the original offer. Recruiter said "so should I tell the hiring manager that you aren't exactly over the moon about the offer?". I was convinced to take it when I carefully considered the total offer, including stock, benefits, etc.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at VMware.

I sent my resume in via a friend who worked for the company and was telephoned the next day. They wanted to set up a phone interview. I was called when we had set up our time and it was clear the interviewer was at home. As I could hear dogs barking. However I think that is part of the atmosphere at VMWare. Stay at home to work and laid back.

She asked me if I was interested in the company and what my main goal was. General interview questions nothing hard. She then told me about the rest of the interview process which involved hypothetically selling coffee to a group of VMware employees and then a more on the spot sales presentation with some VMware managers.

She said she would call me to schedule those interviews. I never received a follow up phone call.

Interview Questions
    • What are your goals regarding your career and how you will contribute to this company or any?   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

A vmware recruiter contacted me for a phone interview after I applied online. The recruiter rattled off 10-20 stock questions on her sheet. Very cold demeanor, told me I only had 1-2min to answer each question and cut me off as I was talking. Not surprisingly, my answers didn't fit into whatever stock answers she had and I never heard from anyone at vmware again.

Interview Questions
    • None too difficult, just cliche type program management questions.   Answer Question

Pricing Interview

I applied through other source - interviewed at VMware.

The interviewer was 37 minutes late to the interview.
    The interviewer had great difficulty speaking English.
    The interviewer eventually brought up the fact that they do not pay for relocation (ACROSS THE COUNTRY) when their posted job ad specifically states they did (and all similar jobs of this caliber would pay Relo).

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at VMware.

Technical - on par with bay-area's best. Very technical / in-depth discussions / past experience is the key. Algorithms / Data Structures / Typical Computer Science essentials. Essentially hands on coding will go a very very long way, keep writing code to ace the interview.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at VMware.

I had a very bad experience with VMWare recruiters, twice...and both the times it was the same unpleasant experience. They contacted me to interview for a position and I gave them few slots for tech screens. Then they told me that they are not hiring any more and the email was full of spelling errors. The whole experience seemed very unprofessional.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Recruiter contacted me, went through phone screen, phone interview, and in person interview.

The recruiting process was somewhat jumbled - I was put in touch with 3 different recruiters, one of who forgot to tell me that my phone interview was scheduled. Otherwise, everyone was pretty good with response time.

Interview Questions
    Offer was much higher than any other place I'd looked at for this type of position so I didn't negotiate.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!