VMware

379 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Partner Program Manager Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in January 2010.

Interview Details – Great informal interview with 3 program managers. Basically asked about experience and to provide examples of work.

Interview Question – What inspires you to get up in the morning?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not very negotiable

Very Easy Interview

Director, Human Resources Interview

Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied to the role via an employee referral within the same team but from a different region (the job was US based). It took about 3 weeks to hear back from a recruiter. She had apparently told the person who referred me that she had tried to contact me but I had not responded. I have no record of contact.

The recruiter scheduled a initial phone screen with me but then did not call on the agreed day and time, after waiting 30 mins I sent an email to her asking if she needed to reschedule. She immediately responded with an apology that her previous meeting had run over and rescheduled the call for later in the week. The second time around she called about 20 mins later than scheduled.

The pre-screen was fairly standard in process asking about my background and highlighted achievements in this space. She was not able to answer many of my questions around the team I'd be leading or current pain points in the program. That seemed fairly surprising since the role was in HR/Recruiting. The recruiter seemed impressed with my background and told me she would be recommending me to the hiring manager to move along to the next stage. At that time I told them I was also interviewing with two other companies for similar roles but would be excited to go to the next step with VMWare.

One month later I received an email from the recruiter saying she was sorry for the delay but the hiring manager had been traveling and she had not connected with him until today, and he had decided to hire another candidate.

Personally I would expect a more engaged and dynamic process from a tech company especially when dealing with a employee referral. You can learn a lot about a company's actions vs the wording of their expensive branding.

Interview Question – I wouldn't say any of the question's were difficult but I did find explaining the cultural nuances required in managing a global program, the recruiter seemed more focused on the US specific initiatives.   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details – applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Question – In total 7 rounds.
1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort
2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces
This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better.
3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements
4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order:
s
tr
tri
tring
r.....
5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!]
6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures
7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort
Also random java questions in almost all the rounds..

Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...
  Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and that led to several several phone interviews with two different recruiters. I had three or four technical phone interviews over the span of a few weeks before having an in person interview. The in person interview was with the hiring manager and lasted several hours.

Interview Question – There were plenty of technical questions but I don't believe I am allowed to share them. There were also a lot of questions about the travel requirement of the position.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were fairly straightforward. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Senior Manager, IT Interview

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Initial contact with vmware was very smooth and I could tell their processes were well thought out. After passing the interview, the offer portion of the conversation was a bit congested and their communications struggled a bit. Processing my offer was even a bit more difficult as I wasnt quite sure of my status right up until I had to turn in my 2 weeks to meet their expected start date. All in all the company made it well worth it and now as someone hiring into vmware I can tell they have ironed out all of my initial concerns.

Interview Question – What ground breaking technologies have you worked on and what were your biggest challenges in meeting goals.   Answer Question

Candidate Development Recruiter Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in April 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was smooth as I came through acquisition of a start-up, grade leveling was appropriate for the role I was hired at.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very friendly and easy

Senior Project Manager Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at VMware in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was efficient and to the point. There were no questions that showed the interviewer was lazy. The interviewer really cared about placing the right person in this position for quality delivery in a concentrated time-frame.

Interview Question – How would you deliver a project when there are two conflicting directives issued by your manager and your manager's manager?   View Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Interview Details – Did two 45min phone calls with hiring manager and another senior member in the team on phone and then invited for onsite interviews. 1:1 with 8 different members of the team from 10:00AM to 4:45PM. Two days later recruiter pings me and asks if i would be interested for another set of interviews and they find me a better fit for a different role. I politely said no.

Interview Question – software design questions.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Many reasons.
1. Scheduling ugh.. what a mess!
So i flew in a day before interviews, with flight delay and commute i reached hotel by 11:20pm local time. I was offered only one night stay and same night return the day of interviews(this return flight was nearly a red-eye flight). When i asked for a better flight options - i was told "this is the only economical option for vmware and they cant help change it". So instead of flying same day, i was offered return two days later. So for rest of the two days i was paying for my own accommodation and car. Its almost ridiculous that such a big company cheaps out a simple car rental, they booked a compact, not even standard - i ended up in a Kia Rio. Well it was a short 18hr rental, so i didnt complain much. But this was indeed a big turn off for even before i met the team.
2. Overall neutral experience with interviews, except two jerks on the team and i couldnt help stand them anymore. I didnt get to meet Hiring Manager because he's on leave and there's not even a headsup.
3. End of the interviews, i still wasnt sure what level the role was whether an IC3 or IC4
4. I had a better offer elsewhere.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted resume on university career fair and Vmware company day. Attended on-campus interview. Two rounds with two engineers. Quite different from regular ones.. The first interviewer started with one of my Java project and dig into mutex and lock, which I did not prepare for.. But the engineer was quite nice and it was more like a lecture on lock for me.. The second interviewer asked about algorithm and spent much effort on corner case. He also interrupted several times when I was talking, which I didn't feel that comfortable. Still haven't got feedback but I have taken another offer.

Interview Question – operating system, locks. basic algorithm questions (pay attention to wired corner cases)   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Summer Intern Interview

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Interview Details – campus interview.
Asked only one question in 45 mins. It is Knight's Shortest Path Chess Question.
I am using BSF to sloe it , but not good enough, asking to solve it by DP in constant time. If you did not see it before, it would be hard to get the right answer

Interview Question – Knight's Shortest Path Chess Question.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware interview questions and advice. All 379 interview reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.