VMware Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Online coding challenge round is compulsory. Unfortunately I was asked to write programs in java where as I am only comfortable with c and python. But recruiter was really a nice guy. He was very quick in responding to emails and any queries.

Senior Product Line Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Took about 3 months to get through the interview process and salary negotiations. Initial phone screen lead to two rounds of progressively more difficult in person interviews. There is a high bar for most positions at VMware -- you will be expected to solve hard problems in areas that are not necessarily aligned to your background. Not quite to the level that you see in the Google process, but you'll sweat just as much.

Interview Questions

• Expect any number of technical questions and stuff that you'd expect an MBA from a top 25 school to get in management consulting interview (ie market sizing).   Answer Question

Vmware Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Panel interview, combined with Skype interviews, and individual interviews. I met with 8 team members over the course of a day. Interview process was two weeks in duration, and an offer was made after my Onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• How does VMware make their money What are some skill sets that I possess that align with the role Why am I motivated to work at VMware   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

It was a phone interview in which there was a discussion of several computer networking concepts and a coding question. The coding question was to write a function to traverse the nodes of a tree in breadth first manner. This was followed by an onsite interview in which I talked to six people

Interview Questions

• How to obtain the sum of the elements from (0,0) to (r,c) in a 2D array, where r and c are the row and column numbers   2 Answers

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I interviewed as a new college grad. I had a round of telephonic interview which discussed my current work and a simple linked list related programming question. Then they called me for the onsite interviews. It had 5 rounds of interviews. I also did a presentation on my work. The whole process took one full day. I had to wait for a couple of weeks before the offer was made.

Interview Questions

• The questions focused on standard algorithms and data structures: graph manipulation, linked lists. Two interviews were system design related (key value store, bottleneck detection). Finally, there was a lunch interview where I was asked distributed systems related questions (consistency models).   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a horrible experience recently with the storage and disaster recovery team. The recruitment process was not professional. They had no clear process in their hiring. I had to do 1 phone round, 4 skype rounds(supposedly on site), 1 round with the hiring manager and then again I was called for another "real" on-site(4 rounds). Totally around 10 rounds. I have to tell you, when you are interviewing someone who already works for another company(not a fresh college grad), he/she is reserving a lot of professional time to give the interview. Better respect their time. The whole process took around 1.5 months. I should mention this, the hiring manager had no professional ethics. He sounded very condescending and had no respect for the candidates time(He missed my interview schedule twice and did not sound apologetic about it at all). I was not offered the role but I am very glad I did not get to work with a horrible boss. His teammates very lovely and nice though. I have to be honest. They seemed much intelligent and pleasant to work with. My advice: Plan to take a lot of time out of your work, if you are planning to interview with them, because they take your time for granted.

Interview Questions

• Questions around BST, a lot of linux based questions, what happens when you turn a computer on? they were more keen on multi-threaded programming.   Answer Question

Staff Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Making a career move can be unsettling to say the least, but all the team members I have spoken to have made my experience enjoyable. The process was very well done from beginning to end. I can't give enough praise to the hr process that VMware uses. It was very well done.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest fear or concern is you are hired?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I accepted the initial offer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

A former colleague of mine was already working at VMware and he and I connected ahead of time over lunch at VMware along with a project manager he worked alongside with. This was where I was able to ask questions ranging from bad to good, and soft-ball to aggressive without worrying about my interview performance. We all decided we were excited about the prospect and wanted to move forward. I came in during an interview event but was interviewed separately. I met my potential manager, potential tech lead, and several really great engineers. I was asked technical questions about algorithms, file system design, and a coding question where the focus was on not having bugs on a whiteboard.

Interview Questions

• How would you design a transactional file system?   1 Answer

Technical Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at VMware in June 2015.

Interview

1. Phone Interview with Recruiter 2. Technical Interview 3. Interview with SR. TAM 4. Face to Face with SR TAM, Account Rep and Systems Engineer I was able to create a relationship with my recruiter which really helped as the process drug on for a LONG time.

Interview Questions

• Technical Interview: ESX Basics Vsphere Basics How do you create a VM template, How do you use vMotion, What is DRS, Storage DRS. What is Vcenter, What is a Datacenter, Cluster, HA TCP/IP Basic - Subnets, DNS, DHCP, FTP Active Directory Basics, What are the FSMO roles, OUs, SR TAM & Face To Face. Experience and how it maps to role. More on the business side than technical. How you can help customers to align their business problems to VMware Solutions from a support persective. Account Management. Integration with the sales account team is a key success factor. Using consulting skills to help manage the account. Being a connector to the rest of VMware to ensure that the client is using the VMWare tools they bought to the best of their ability etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Friendly process that was easy to go through. They worked with me to get the right setup. The total mix worked out well for me.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The process took 2 weeks. I received an offer after the first round. The interview was quite informal. They wanted to know if I fit in VMware's culture. They asked about my previous experience and the different projects I started. Basic programming knowledge of Java, C and Python. Time response took less than one week.

Interview Questions

• Everything was very standard. Behavioural questions and skill questions.   Answer Question