VMware Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

3.2

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

It took around 2 weeks to proceed the interview. I am asked to do some online coding test first and later a HR send me an email to schedule a on campus interview.
    2 Software Engineers rotating interview. Pretty intensive and require fast coding skills.

Interview Questions

• Convert string to integer without using atoi and some algorithm problems   Answer Question

Client Success Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO).

Interview

Initial phone screen from the recruiter, then a phone interview with the position manager. After that, one in-person interview--45 minute 2 on 1 with some team members, another 45 minutes with the position manager.

Interview Questions

• Why should I hire you? Tell me a time you had a problem with a co-worker/manager and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

It was a fair offer--I accepted.

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

The interview process at VMWare is arduous but thorough. For me, it was a total of 9 individual interviews...some in person at the office and others over the phone with key stakeholders. They asked me many questions about my experience off of my resume, but also some situational questions pertinent to the job I was applying for at the time. I talked with everyone from Individual contributors to managers to Directors and VP's before the approval was given to hire.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to build your brand and overcome objections at the same time. How did you do it and what did you do?   Answer Question

Global Technical Alliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware (Raleigh, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial interview by the recruiter. Then was told I was a good fit for the position. Recruiter said he would forward my name and resume to the hiring manager. It has been a week and have not been contacted by the hiring manager.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Recruiter called up sounding very enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions too like what is time complexity of binary search algorithm, what is mutex, what is polymorphism etc. Then he setup a phone interview with an engineer.

The engineer spent nearly 30 mins discussing about my resume and a locking problem in multithreading environment. Then he asked me to write code using collabedit. I was not able to complete coding because the interviewer could not clarify in what form he expected the output to be returned from the function. I discussed my algorithm and different approaches that could be used.

Why ask an interview question about which you yourself are not clear about the type of output you want. Anyways, never heard back from the recruiter about the feedback on the phone screen. Although I knew they would say "no" since I did not complete the coding, don't they have the courtesy to write a one liner email saying we will not be proceeding at this time.

And to the interviewer, make sure at least you know what you really want out of the question. Be ready to give concrete answers for any clarifications to the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given: Binary tree and a target Sum
      Expected Result: All paths where sum of nodes along path is equal to target sum
      Assumption: Path starts at Root and ends at Leaf

Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

I had four interviews consisting of three technical and one behavioral. Great experience and relativity fast for such a large company. In one week I had my first three interviews with the fourth the following week. Interviewers were (and are) very intelligent and can see past any BS, so you must know your stuff and be willing and able to adapt the company's culture and values as your own.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

Initial phone interview. I knew this was just a phone screen. Since they bothered to call me, i guess they felt I was worth talking to. However, this phone screen was apparently very valuable to them instead of meeting in person or at least looking optimistically at an applicant's potential for learning on the job. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH LEARNING A FEW THINGS ON THE JOB?

Interview Questions

• Disgusting phone interview. I didn't get further than that. Job was somewhat low-level and my resume and email clearly stated what I knew. Instead, the interviewer (and would-be manager) headed me off with questions well beyond that. I didn't mind, given that I can learn, but he apparently didn't think so - literally chuckling at me over the phone towards the end of the interview. He apparently couldn't understand that a guy can learn. Instead he treated the work as some unattainable black art, evidently NOT even wishing to see me in person. What, they don't have training materials at VMware? So judgemental and sickening. I was looking forward to working there too, but my hopes were completely dashed by this crummy behavior - of laughing at a job applicant. I wonder how many potentially good employees this company destroyed. A despicable job interview, probably meant to hire someone overseas or something.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware (Urbana, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Two 45-minute sessions, one is mostly about behavioral questions and introducing projects listed on the resume, the other is mostly coding on whiteboard. The first behavioral session also checks some basic programming knowledge about Python and C. The interviewer for the coding session looked a bit weird, and seems depressed and distracted by something else, she even had no knowledge about k-d tree.

Interview Questions

• Given many points on a coordinate plane, find the pair of points that is the closest among all pairs of points.   1 Answer
    • Given a string containing only English character, find the first unique character in the string, upper and lower cases should not be treated as the same character.   1 Answer

Lead Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Telephonic interview followed by half day personal interviews within a week or 2.
    Interview depends on individuals who take the interview . Some are nice , some are arrogant , some are condescending, some are confused and some want to confuse you.

Interview Questions

• If 1 = 2 what would you do kind of questions   1 Answer
    • Pure technical one   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted around 40 minutes. all questions were about behavioral questions. The recruiter is very friendly. The recruiter also asked if I had any questions about the company and the position.