VMware Interview Questions

Updated Oct 15, 2014
Updated Oct 15, 2014

3.2

Intern Interview

Had a telephonic interview. Mostly asked about my resume and my knowledge of Android programming. I did not know much about it at that time. So that was a minus point in my profile.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about how to open sockets and the steps in socket programming.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

30 min phone screen and a 4.5 hour full loop interview; mostly technical coding questions and some SOAR stories; The first 3 rounds were full coding and with hiring manager it was mostly explaining projects and design questions.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware.

I sent my resume in via a friend who worked for the company and was telephoned the next day. They wanted to set up a phone interview. I was called when we had set up our time and it was clear the interviewer was at home. As I could hear dogs barking. However I think that is part of the atmosphere at VMWare. Stay at home to work and laid back.

She asked me if I was interested in the company and what my main goal was. General interview questions nothing hard. She then told me about the rest of the interview process which involved hypothetically selling coffee to a group of VMware employees and then a more on the spot sales presentation with some VMware managers.

She said she would call me to schedule those interviews. I never received a follow up phone call.

Interview Questions
    • What are your goals regarding your career and how you will contribute to this company or any?   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at VMware.

Technical - on par with bay-area's best. Very technical / in-depth discussions / past experience is the key. Algorithms / Data Structures / Typical Computer Science essentials. Essentially hands on coding will go a very very long way, keep writing code to ace the interview.

Pricing Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at VMware.

The interviewer was 37 minutes late to the interview.
    The interviewer had great difficulty speaking English.
    The interviewer eventually brought up the fact that they do not pay for relocation (ACROSS THE COUNTRY) when their posted job ad specifically states they did (and all similar jobs of this caliber would pay Relo).

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Very bad experience with VMware. I took the phone interview on Aug. They gave me an onsite on Sep. 18th. 10 days before the onsite, they send me an email and told me they have to remove me from the onsite since they realize I am a new graduate student. I have to cancle my ticked and reschedule all my other interview

Product Marketing and Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in August 2014.

I found that VMware is hand-cuffed by EMC. Periodic hiring freezes. In late July and August, I was contacted by four different VMware recruiters, based on internal referrals. Two were recruiting for corporate management roles. Two for product marketing and product management. Did phone screens and several hours of campus interviews. Two offers made. Then one VMware recruiter called back and asked to move a proposed August start date to October. I declined. Since September, three of four recruiters have left for VMware for start-ups (Docker, Puppet). At the center of delay is EMC. Hedge funds want to spin-off VMware and Pivotal Software. Now EMC is an acquisition target (HP, Cisco).

Interview Questions
    • Can VMware effectively partner with networking companies in some markets, and compete against them in other markets?   Answer Question

They asked to move my start date five weeks to October.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware.

I had a very bad experience with VMWare recruiters, twice...and both the times it was the same unpleasant experience. They contacted me to interview for a position and I gave them few slots for tech screens. Then they told me that they are not hiring any more and the email was full of spelling errors. The whole experience seemed very unprofessional.

Technical Support Engineer II Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

I was contacted by a VMware recruiter about a week after submitting my application.

There was an initial phone screening with a verbal skills test. I answered a series of questions related to Windows administration, general networking and technology, and a few command line questions. There was some confusing wording on a couple of the questions, but when the recruiter saw that I was getting to the point he gave me little hints to help compensate for it.

I only missed one or two of these questions, after which time I was told that a Skype interview would be set up and that I would be contacted with further details. The next day I had an "in-person" scheduled over Skype for the following week.

The interview began with an introduction from the hiring manager, followed by questions from two Senior TSE's. Questions were regarding ESXi, vSphere, storage, and network, as it relates to datacenter connectivity and VMware products, particularly. They ranged in difficulty, and when I got to the point where I did not know an answer I would let them know.

There were a few about Windows administration, but not many, and a few general questions just to gauge my experience. This process went well and I was able to answer most of their queries without any issue. This took a little over 40 minutes and it was slated for 30.

In speaking with the hiring manager, I was told that I should sell myself and let him know just why I was their guy. This was easy since I believe in the company and their products, and had with me a natural enthusiasm from the hiring process as a whole. I was asked questions about customer service and how I had handled accounts in the past, and was also asked how I might be viewed by my current co-workers, boss, and clients. When it was my turn to ask questions, I was sure to hit on every point of interest about the company or culture that I had. I kept a prepared list that I referred to. I was sure to engage the manager in his own realm of expertise so that I could learn more about him and the company.

This portion took a little over an hour. The entire interview was scheduled to be an hour and a half, so when the manager had to go it was because of overlapping schedules. I asked if I could follow up and if I had answered everything as fully as I could. I was given an email address and told that I would be in touch with their decision.

I also followed up with the recruiter to let him know if they chose someone else that I would still be interested in any other positions they had, be it something suitable for my experience.

After about a week and a half I was contacted by a recruiter at the local office where I would be working and was told that I was selected out of the candidates to join the team. I was extended an offer, pending background check. I did try to negotiate salary, but was told that the offer was well thought out on their part based on my experience. I agreed with this (only having asked for a little more out of protocol) and accepted the offer.

The background check took about 8 days to complete.

It was exactly 4 weeks from the time of the Skype interview to my first day. VMware culture is wonderful and it is truly a great place to work!

Interview Questions
    • "What does APD mean?"

Something about, "Name an interface that allows for applications to communicate with web based content or software"... the answer is API, but the question is more strangely worded.
        View Answer
    I followed standard negotiation protocol and asked for a bit more, though not above a certain percentage. I was told the offer was well though out based on the position and my experience. I happily agreed and accepted.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware.

I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Questions
    • Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question