VMware

413 candidate interviews

Program Manager Interview

Program Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at VMware in January 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screening by recruiter; scheduled for a full day of interviews with 7 team members. Interviewers were gracious. Each were certain to ask if I had any questions for them before ending their portion of the interview. The interviews were heavily technical in content, although there were also questions regarding soft skills. The second day of interviewing was scheduled with two senior staff. This interview was daunting. I was asked to solve puzzles and was given multiple technical 'quizzes'.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to deal directly with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There didn't seem to be room for negotiation. It was a very fair and generous offer, however.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in November 2011.

Interview Details – About one-hour phone screening comes first. The next step was an assignment to develop a small application in Java and show OOD / OOP, coding style, documentation with the class diagram, and ant script to compile / run the application. Finally, the five-hours interview with five very smart senior developers. To pass the interview really need to know the technology and need to show that you know it.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about data structures (including both balanced and unbalanced trees) and algorithms.   Answer Question
  • Threads and example of creating a semaphore / distributed semaphore.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not sure how much room is there for negotiation.

Member of Technical Staff III Interview

Member of Technical Staff III
Bangalore (India)

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in September 2012.

Interview Details – My first round was telephonic and it was 1 hour interview by my hiring manager.2nd day its was 5-6 round face to face rounds and it went well.They asked more on Linux internals ,PERL scripting , scnerioas based testing ,and also some question on virtualization ,and system architecture ans also unix commands.

Interview Question – They ask me to draw X86 architecture and also ask me to write a script which i wrote it partially but they are okay with my approach   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in January 2009.

Interview Details – This was an interview experience I had back in 2005. 1 phone screen with VMWare's HR recruiter, followed by 1 phone technical interview with a senior engineer, what I am working on now, why I want to leave my current company, etc. Then got down to business, Java questions: Memory Model, volatile, synchronized semantics.

Invited back to half-day onsite interview the following week. Tough 4.5 hours: each round was with a very senior member of the engineering team each with their own areas of expertise. C++ deep dive: struct vs class, virtual destructors, multiple inheritance, polymorphism, detecting memory leaks, he gave me some code and asked me if there's a bug in there. Algorithms deep dive: reverse a linked-list, find largest sub-sequence of an array and comment on Big-O of my implementation. XML deep dive: write XSLT code to do some XML parsing, XML Schema questions.

Invited back again the following week for onsite with engineering manager and director.

Interview Question – Why would you want to have a Virtual Destructor in C++   View Answer

Intern Interview

Intern
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at VMware in January 2013.

Interview Details – It was long and pretty much a nightmare. I only ever had to interview once and it was a pretty intense interview, but getting in touch with the right people afterwards was challenging. You can tell there is a bit of a lack of communication between the different groups at vmware.

Interview Question – I do not really remember a lot of the questions, but almost everything I did iteratively had to be redone recursively and vice versa   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was kind of to good to have to negotiate anything

Senior Build and Release Engineer Interview

Senior Build and Release Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screens followed by two on-site visits, one in San Francisco and one in Palo Alto. Some interviews were relatively easy for me and in my area of expertise. The developers' programming challenges were quite difficult but not ridiculous- probably a bit more depth than was necessary for the job. The last two interviews were unnecessary and irrelevant.

I was surprised I didn't get a job offer, as I had highly relevant and rare skills they were looking for (deep rpmbuild expertise). Not surprisingly, they didn't fill the position and then called me back almost a year later, telling me they'd been unable to find anybody with my skill set. I told them I'd already interviewed. I probably wouldn't interview here again.

Interview Question – I was interviewing for a build and release position, and after answering many relevant scripting and SCM questions, an interviewer who ran out of things to ask asked me to in detail describe, the process for a c write() command making it to disc. I was asked to describe all of the buffering, system calls, etc.   View Answer

Technical Consultant Interview

Technical Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – The interview process was grueling to say the least. It consisted of 8 phone interviews, followed by a half day of 30 min, in person interviews, followed by a group interview.
The depth of questions was challenging in both technical as we as business.

Interview Question – "Please define Risk"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very easy !

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Senior Systems Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in October 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process is similar to other large companies. You can start with a job posting, or more likely and helpful, is that you will be led to an opening by someone you know. The HR department also works considerably with recruiters. From there the process will vary by who is hiring you. Our interviews involved phone screening to see if it's worth continued conversations, and from there go to a long (all day) interview with many people. For our positions, this involved a significant amount of time doing technical presentations.

Interview Question – I was asked a very detailed and low level question on the subtle differences in behavior between proxy and byte code weaving mechanisms for implementing annotated behavior in Java classes.   View Answer

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Interview Details – campus interview.
Asked only one question in 45 mins. It is Knight's Shortest Path Chess Question.
I am using BSF to sloe it , but not good enough, asking to solve it by DP in constant time. If you did not see it before, it would be hard to get the right answer

Interview Question – Knight's Shortest Path Chess Question.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details – applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Question – In total 7 rounds.
1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort
2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces
This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better.
3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements
4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order:
s
tr
tri
tring
r.....
5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!]
6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures
7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort
Also random java questions in almost all the rounds..

Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware interview questions and advice. All 413 interview reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.