VMware Staff Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

3.5

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter, and talked for about one hour. The recruiter then arranged a technical phone screen with the hiring manager. The technical screening consists of some c++/ood questions and some coding questions. We use the online shared session for the coding. Couple daysa after the screening I was informed that offer has went out to other candidates

Interview Questions

• I was asked some technical questions on the first phone call by the recruiter, which I didn't expect.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I had a very bad experience with VMWare recruiters, twice...and both the times it was the same unpleasant experience. They contacted me to interview for a position and I gave them few slots for tech screens. Then they told me that they are not hiring any more and the email was full of spelling errors. The whole experience seemed very unprofessional.

Interview

Was contacted by VMware recruiter regarding a hiring event. First step was a phone conversation with a recruiter then a online test. The test was a programming assignment done online within a time limit of 90 mins. The code takes input and your code outputs data. It was challenging but I passed it. Then onsite where I had 4, 1hr interviews. Typical programming questions. All interviewers were very friendly and professional.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Worst experience with the VSAN team. The recruitment process was not professional. They had one Hackerrank + 2 Phone screen share + 5 Onsite Interviewers. No clear process in their hiring with 5 recruiters ! You are not Facebook or Google. Good luck. This was the worst experience ever. The HR is very unprofessional and lacks ethics. I rejected the offer, the salary sucked.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

it was just a basic questions ..to test basic skills...keep solving basic programming questions and some of the operating system concepts ..which are commonly asked ..since it is based on virtualization ...be focused on virtualization...there were two technical rounds

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at VMware (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview lasted around 40 minutes. all questions were about behavioral questions. The recruiter is very friendly. The recruiter also asked if I had any questions about the company and the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

CRAZY company. Both my phone interview and team interview went well and they informed my about the "next step" which will be a second round interview. Next, after 3 weeks later, I just got a short email stating that the team has re-accessed that position and not willing to move forward with me!!! My question then why did you talk about "next step" ??? It is not that I am out of job or begging a job from them - but some professional communication is rare there. It is a bureaucratic company who got some cash in their hands - but lacks of decent, bare minimum professionalism.

Interview Questions

• Given a series of strings, find the biggest common prefix.   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

4 interviewers, one at a time (in a conference room), seeking technical and algorithmic analysis. Lunch with prospective manager at company cafeteria. Was also to meet with VP, but VP was unavailable that day. Company has good orientation for new employees (covering products and benefits). Comfortable place to work, with a info packed quarterly meetings, free breakfast and snack foods and drinks. Very green company (e.g., dishwasher and washable drink glasses).

Interview Questions

• How many race heats are needed to find the 3 fastest pinewood derby cars out of a field of 8, if only 4 cars can run at a time (assuming that every car will always run the way/speed and each lane is exactly equivalent)?   6 Answers

Negotiation

Ask for 5-15% more than you are offered.

Member of Technical Staff, Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Mumbai (India)) in November 2014.

Interview

there are around 5 round.they basically focused on Data Structure.they also think u should have good knowledge of OS. there are around 5 round.they basically focused on Data Structure.they also think u should have good knowledge of OS. there are around 5 round.they basically focused on Data Structure.they also think u should have good knowledge of OS.

Member of Technical Staff Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at VMware (Bangalore (India)) in July 2015.

Interview

1 on line test, 2 technical discussion, 1 director Mostly they asked about different type of algorithm, analytical question. You have to write pseudo code for each question. Interviewers are very friendly in nature. They usually check your analytical skill.