VMware

Relevance Date Difficulty

Staff Engineer Interview

Staff Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a VMWare recruiter via Linkedin. After the initial phone conversation with the recruiter, my details were put into their recruiting database. Within a week I was contacted by 5 different recruiters looking for front end web developers for their respective VMware teams.

I picked one of the teams and had a phone call with the recruiter. After talking to the recruiter about my background and interests and confirming my interest in his team, a technical phone screen was scheduled.

During the technical phone screen, I was asked questions about my background, and then a few coding questions and UI design questions. The interviewer was satisfied, so I was then schedule for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was an all-day affair, starting at 9am and ending at 4:30pm. I talked to 5 engineers and 3 managers. The engineers asked coding questions (design and code a Tic-Tac-Toe game, implement a LRU cache), algorithm questions (various ways to efficiently scan logfiles), and web UI questions (how to present data for different scenarios).

After the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me with an offer at the Staff Engineer level, salary, signing bonus, yearly target bonus, and RSUs.

Interview Question – Implement a LRU cache that can be initialized with a max size (in bytes) and keeps track of the hits/misses.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The group wasn't the right match for what I was looking for. I was looking for a group with more Web UI expertise, but this team was comprised of people who were systems and backend oriented.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Interview Details – My circumstances extended the process as well as the time of year. However the process was smooth overall. Many of the interviewers remained on-topic and wanted to ensure that the position was being fulfilled. Beyond that, they were interested in other interests to see where I may want to go within the company.

Interview Question – No questions asked were outside of the job realm   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was competitive however I was looking forward to a better base salary. not a match with better compensation in other categories.

Human Resources Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by recruiter on Thursday, all day interviews on Monday and offer by Friday. Recruiter kept me informed the whole time and very organized the day of the interview.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They provided me their best offer and with upfront discussion it met my needs.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Cleveland, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in December 2013.

Interview Details – Overall, I had a very good experience. Everybody was very forthright and kept appointments. Every person that I talked to was very professional and quick to answer any question that I had. The technical interview was rough and may have been a bit of a blow to my ego, but the interviewer was great.

Interview Question – In the technical interview, I literally felt like I tanked. There were some simple questions at the beginning but that just seemed to bring on bigger guns. The interviewer was very friendly but I think that just made it feel surreal. In the end I was not able to answer questions that I thought I knew the answer to because I was getting more nervous with every question.   Answer Question

Senior Sales Operations Analyst Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview Details – It was quick and sweet. Talked to Recruiter he loved me because I was able to relate to multi taksing through my sports background of playing Tight End in Football. I had 5 phone interviews then 1 on site interview with the Director and it was money. Literally Sales Operations Deal Desk is a growing space and they recognized my competency of working at Cisco in various roles.

Interview Question – Non were too difficult as I prepped for 1 full week before this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple. VMware pays well

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – One interview with HR staffer to determine fit, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Phone interview was challenging - very focused on SDLC knowledge and experience. Third interview was follow-up in person with member of development team - mostly just a conversation and follow-up questions from my internship. Really nice guy.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about DevOps.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me and set up phone interview with contractor on the East Coast. The contractor had been operating as a full-time employee and knew the needs for the position very well.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult manager.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at VMware in August 2012.

Interview Details – First phone interview, then a problem would be given over mail to be solved. Onsite interview will consist of 5 rounds typically. Team members would interview in elaborate style (not very tough), basic data structures, little bit language specific interviews might be there.

Interview Question – One manager asked to write lot of syntaxes in Java. Which I was not prepared.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non- negotiable. For New graduates.

Intern Interview

Intern
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware in January 2012.

Interview Details – 3 round phone interviews. Mostly behavior questions.

Interview Question – name 3 weaknesses   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview Details – On campus.
Asked to write an algorithm for word Wrap.
Asked about Hashing and hash code
Sql question: display third highest salary of an employer
Algorithm: knapsack and its efficiency

Interview Question – They asked me to write an algorithm for word Wrap .   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware