VMware Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me to discuss about the job description and if I was interested in getting into the recruitment process.
    There was 1 technical phone interview followed by an Onsite Interview with 3 technical rounds and lunch.
    The entire process was quick from the time I received a call from the recruiter.

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Initially have a brief conversation with HR and later with some person ( department manager ? ). Questions was really strange for that role and you could read them below. After conversation I have strong opinion that company just wanted to hire junior-senior-principal-architect-with-ceo-and-laundry-skills person. Since then I have no updates from their HR. Now I have to think that this company is lazy and lack of ethics even just to send simple "We don't need you" letter.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Recruiter called up sounding very enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions too like what is time complexity of binary search algorithm, what is mutex, what is polymorphism etc. Then he setup a phone interview with an engineer.

The engineer spent nearly 30 mins discussing about my resume and a locking problem in multithreading environment. Then he asked me to write code using collabedit. I was not able to complete coding because the interviewer could not clarify in what form he expected the output to be returned from the function. I discussed my algorithm and different approaches that could be used.

Why ask an interview question about which you yourself are not clear about the type of output you want. Anyways, never heard back from the recruiter about the feedback on the phone screen. Although I knew they would say "no" since I did not complete the coding, don't they have the courtesy to write a one liner email saying we will not be proceeding at this time.

And to the interviewer, make sure at least you know what you really want out of the question. Be ready to give concrete answers for any clarifications to the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given: Binary tree and a target Sum
      Expected Result: All paths where sum of nodes along path is equal to target sum
      Assumption: Path starts at Root and ends at Leaf

Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

I had four interviews consisting of three technical and one behavioral. Great experience and relativity fast for such a large company. In one week I had my first three interviews with the fourth the following week. Interviewers were (and are) very intelligent and can see past any BS, so you must know your stuff and be willing and able to adapt the company's culture and values as your own.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

Initial phone interview. I knew this was just a phone screen. Since they bothered to call me, i guess they felt I was worth talking to. However, this phone screen was apparently very valuable to them instead of meeting in person or at least looking optimistically at an applicant's potential for learning on the job. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH LEARNING A FEW THINGS ON THE JOB?

Interview Questions

• Disgusting phone interview. I didn't get further than that. Job was somewhat low-level and my resume and email clearly stated what I knew. Instead, the interviewer (and would-be manager) headed me off with questions well beyond that. I didn't mind, given that I can learn, but he apparently didn't think so - literally chuckling at me over the phone towards the end of the interview. He apparently couldn't understand that a guy can learn. Instead he treated the work as some unattainable black art, evidently NOT even wishing to see me in person. What, they don't have training materials at VMware? So judgemental and sickening. I was looking forward to working there too, but my hopes were completely dashed by this crummy behavior - of laughing at a job applicant. I wonder how many potentially good employees this company destroyed. A despicable job interview, probably meant to hire someone overseas or something.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was telephonic and I was asked three questions. Two questions were coding related and I was asked to write my code in Codepair(hackerrank). The other question was about the coursework I took at my University.

Interview Questions

• What courses did you take at your University ?   1 Answer
    • Why did you choose these courses ?   1 Answer
    • Given a string replace all the white spaces by "%20".   1 Answer
    • Please provide an implementation of logging in java.   1 Answer

Application

Interview

2 Phone Screens and 4 Onsite Interviews.
    1st Phone Screen was conducted by a Senior Engineer. Interviewer explained the job role and the team's objective at VMware. I was asked about my previous experience and my graduate degree projects.
    2nd Phone Screen was conducted by a MTS. Interviewer asked lot of Object Oriented Programming questions. I was also asked to solve some coding problems. Towards the end some database questions were asked.

Onsite Interviews:
    First One was with the Manager. He explained my job responsibilities.
    Then, 3 Technical Interviews were conducted. They covered my Internship Project, Coding exercises, Databases and Operating System Concepts.

Note to People applying for Interviews at VMware: Make sure to revise Object Oriented Programming Concepts and Operating Systems concepts before the interview. Coding exercises were very basic.

Interview Questions

• Object Oriented Programming Concepts: Inheritance, Final Keyword, Abstraction, etc   Answer Question
    • Basic Linux Commands   Answer Question
    • Linked List Questions: Detect loop in a linked list, Return second last element in the linked list, Find mid point of Linked List   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Urbana, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at VMware (Urbana, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Two 45-minute sessions, one is mostly about behavioral questions and introducing projects listed on the resume, the other is mostly coding on whiteboard. The first behavioral session also checks some basic programming knowledge about Python and C. The interviewer for the coding session looked a bit weird, and seems depressed and distracted by something else, she even had no knowledge about k-d tree.

Interview Questions

• Given many points on a coordinate plane, find the pair of points that is the closest among all pairs of points.   1 Answer
    • Given a string containing only English character, find the first unique character in the string, upper and lower cases should not be treated as the same character.   1 Answer

Software(Network Virtualisation) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter. Had just one round of interview. Questions were pretty simple. Got the offer within a week. Great recruiter as I never kept in the dark about my status.

Interview Questions

• Few basic networking and OS questions, followed by a programming question.
      Sort a linked list such that it makes minimum number of swaps

1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed for a Windows Developer Position. Had a phone screen on basic windows kernel calls and driver development . Onsite interview went over projects I worked on and Windows Kernel mode and user mode concepts .

Interview Questions

• Write code to draw a circle.   1 Answer