VMware

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

3.2

Process Optimization Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in July 2014.

The hiring process was conducted through a recruiting firm and all interviews were scheduled through them directly. There were a total of two interviews, both over the phone.

The first interview was a basic "why do you want this" and "what is your experience" with the woman who would be my manager. She seemed extremely new to management (this might have been her first interview) and didn't conduct the interview professionally at all, so it was a breeze.

My second interview was conducted by the director of the department, who was much more professional. He only wanted to know why I wanted the job. One question and the interview was over. About 30 minutes later they called with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very standard. "Why do you want this job" and "Walk through a process improvement you have performed."   Answer Question
    I raised my price slightly and they countered with something appropropriate right off the bat. I accepted their first counter offer.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

The interview process process started with a recruiter and then a hiring manager interview. Both went well as as expected. Was asked to interview and they moved the timeframe forward by four days because they wanted to get me in and do a face to face. Once the four interviews were completed with one on the phone, the hiring manager asked me to speak with two others via phone and wanted to know when I could start.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was the fact that no one had explained the organizational structure, where they fit, and how what they did woudl intersect with the person playing this role.   View Answer

VMware Project Manager Interview

Hiring process with very easy back in the old days as I worked with the VMware team. The hiring process was more of an internal move between EMC and VMware

No negotiation

Escalation Manager Interview

several rounds of interview and scenario based questions - prepare to have at least 7-10 interviews spanning several days. Technical background a must but not in-depth technical knowledge is essential

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

Phone screen interview.
    On-site interview - 5 hours, engineers and managers.
    You can have follow up phone interviews after that as well.
    Interview with HR.
    HR is negotiating the offer.
    They are not in the rush, it's not recommended to take the first offer.
    Some folks had like a 6 months negotiation back and forth.

Interview Questions
    • Know your staff, there are many experienced folks,
      be prepared to talk about what you have on your resume.
      Coding questions standard for industry.

View Answer
    They are not in a rush, products are not treated as mission critical. You can negotiate over a couple of months, if you have time. Be patient. It's not recommended to negotiate on your own, it's better to come as a part of acquisition.

R&D Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in June 2014.

I had applied online and a recruiter reached out to me after 3 or 4 weeks. In addition to the R&D management position I had applied for, he also wanted to gauge my interest in another tech lead position that he had forwarded along in his mail.

There have been few other posts regarding the poor manners and attitude of VMware recruiters. I'd have to second that.

First of all, the recruiter tried to sell me this another tech lead role in Palo Alto and went in great lengths to impress me on the kind of A+ star talent they recruit. I declined on his offer since I was already solidly on management leadership role and it did not make sense to make a U turn even though I had all the skill sets and experience to fit into the tech lead role as well. He downplayed the management position I was interested in claiming it to be a "lesser priority" role than the tech position.

Next, without checking on my availability, he fired off an impromptu phone interview and took up the next 30 mins asking me various tech questions on topics ranging from C++ programming to OS level concepts - threading etc, to networking. Well, I pretty much easily answered every single question asked and the recruiter was like wow, this was the first time I have had someone answer with such promptness and confidence. In spite of this, I was kinda surprised by the attitude of the recruiter to "assess" without a heads-up. Now that he had a great impression of my solid tech skill sets, he said he would immediately forward my application to the director of the group.

NOTE: Next came the unethical part of interview. He wanted to know my marital status by asking "if there would be others apart from me who would relocate if offered the job". Lol, what a devilish way to not directly ask personal details! Even though I knew this was none of his business, I answered that my family would relocate as well. This was the last question.

1 week later, I checked back with the recruiter on the status of my application and he said that they would not be moving forward on my application. I was plain irritated and disappointed by the company and its recruiting process. If they are not interested, why reach out to me in the first place and waste my time in interviewing and selling me other positions as well?

I was reading other reviews on VMware interview and few others had also mentioned something about recruiters asking personal questions such as marital status. It leads me to think if there is something unethical going on potentially discriminating applicants on marital status?

On the whole, very negative impression of the company and its recruiters.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in June 2014.

First contact with recruiter to set up a phone interview. Went well. we connected each other. She recommended me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. I talked with a Sr Product Marketing Manager. Call lasted 30mns. I asked a lot of questions to see if I can fit in the organization. Three days later I received an email from recruiter that they were not selecting me for the next stage. Reason: not skill set wise.

Technical Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at VMware.

I applied online and was contacted by a vmware recruiter the next day. The initial chat went well and I was called back to schedule a technical interview that day. We scheduled the interview out four days and I was warned it was going to be a technical interview. The technical interview was tough! I hung up feeling very humble. I didn't get the offer but I wasn't extremely surprised given my interview performance.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

The interview process starts with a phone interview and then leads to an onsite interview which is usually with one or more inside sales representatives and followed by one or more inside sales managers. After that, they will do a background check on you and some other formalities but that is it.

Interview Questions
    • What is your greatest weakness? What do you need to improve on?   Answer Question
    I asked for more compensation two separate times and was granted more each time

QA Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware.

first stage was an online programiing test. Three questions.
    second stage was a skyper interview. The Questions were fair. One sorting question, one about finding height of tree plus general Java questions