VMware Interview Questions

Updated Aug 4, 2015

3.2

Senior Strategic Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Lengthy process to get to the actual interviews. After interviewing they decided to lower the position level and move an internal employee. Interview scheduling was difficult due to availability of interview panel. Interview did not include face to face interview hiring manager. One of the interviewers spent more time talking about himself.

Interview Questions

• No really difficult questions were asked. Standard procurement related questions   Answer Question

Manager Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

30 minute HR Screening call and then 1:1 with two Sr. Managers, very young. Asked for my career profile elevator and why I wanted to join VMware now. I believe the most important requirements they were seeking in order of importance: personal image, social teaming and finally skill/experience.

Global Technical Alliance Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware (Raleigh, NC) in April 2015.

Interview

Initial interview by the recruiter. Then was told I was a good fit for the position. Recruiter said he would forward my name and resume to the hiring manager. It has been a week and have not been contacted by the hiring manager.

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Initially have a brief conversation with HR and later with some person ( department manager ? ). Questions was really strange for that role and you could read them below. After conversation I have strong opinion that company just wanted to hire junior-senior-principal-architect-with-ceo-and-laundry-skills person. Since then I have no updates from their HR. Now I have to think that this company is lazy and lack of ethics even just to send simple "We don't need you" letter.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me to discuss about the job description and if I was interested in getting into the recruitment process. There was 1 technical phone interview followed by an Onsite Interview with 3 technical rounds and lunch. The entire process was quick from the time I received a call from the recruiter.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

Process started out with a recruiter reaching out and providing a link to technical quiz. These are pretty tough and require some decent experience to answer the questions in a timely fashion. After passing that I had to wait for several weeks before another recruiter reached out to setup an onsite interview. The Onsite interview was pretty rough. My panel was 3 engineers who asked questions to get grasp of depth of knowledge. That was followed up by a managerial interview to see if you socially a right fit.

Interview Questions

• A computer is unable to connect a intranet site, walk me through how you would troubleshoot that?   Answer Question

Senior Consultant (PSO) Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in April 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by VMware recruiter about the opportunity of the open position. Once I passed the initial recruiter interview. She helped setup three different technical interviews within the span of two weeks. For the Sr Consultant position, you must to know your stuff inside out. They are the expert in their field and can tell if you are a good fit or not right away. You must passed the initial technical interview in order to move to the next 2nd/3rd technical interview. The next rounds of interviews is with the Practice Managers (East Coast and West Coast). The very end will be the Practice Director. A total of 7 interview span in about 4 weeks.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Recruiter called up sounding very enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions too like what is time complexity of binary search algorithm, what is mutex, what is polymorphism etc. Then he setup a phone interview with an engineer. The engineer spent nearly 30 mins discussing about my resume and a locking problem in multithreading environment. Then he asked me to write code using collabedit. I was not able to complete coding because the interviewer could not clarify in what form he expected the output to be returned from the function. I discussed my algorithm and different approaches that could be used. Why ask an interview question about which you yourself are not clear about the type of output you want. Anyways, never heard back from the recruiter about the feedback on the phone screen. Although I knew they would say "no" since I did not complete the coding, don't they have the courtesy to write a one liner email saying we will not be proceeding at this time. And to the interviewer, make sure at least you know what you really want out of the question. Be ready to give concrete answers for any clarifications to the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given: Binary tree and a target Sum Expected Result: All paths where sum of nodes along path is equal to target sum Assumption: Path starts at Root and ends at Leaf   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

I had four interviews consisting of three technical and one behavioral. Great experience and relativity fast for such a large company. In one week I had my first three interviews with the fourth the following week. Interviewers were (and are) very intelligent and can see past any BS, so you must know your stuff and be willing and able to adapt the company's culture and values as your own.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

Initial phone interview. I knew this was just a phone screen. Since they bothered to call me, i guess they felt I was worth talking to. However, this phone screen was apparently very valuable to them instead of meeting in person or at least looking optimistically at an applicant's potential for learning on the job. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH LEARNING A FEW THINGS ON THE JOB?

Interview Questions

• Disgusting phone interview. I didn't get further than that. Job was somewhat low-level and my resume and email clearly stated what I knew. Instead, the interviewer (and would-be manager) headed me off with questions well beyond that. I didn't mind, given that I can learn, but he apparently didn't think so - literally chuckling at me over the phone towards the end of the interview. He apparently couldn't understand that a guy can learn. Instead he treated the work as some unattainable black art, evidently NOT even wishing to see me in person. What, they don't have training materials at VMware? So judgemental and sickening. I was looking forward to working there too, but my hopes were completely dashed by this crummy behavior - of laughing at a job applicant. I wonder how many potentially good employees this company destroyed. A despicable job interview, probably meant to hire someone overseas or something.   Answer Question