VMware Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware in October 2014.

Interview

It is a On campus interview. At first I take the online quiz on the Hackerrank.com. Then they managed a interview in the campus. The interviewer can not write code, only ask me a puzzle. And then ask me about the resume. The whole interview last about 30 minutes. And a week later, I get the result.

Interview Questions

• Given 25 horses, and 5 tracks. Only at most 5 horses can be in one round's match. Ask at least how many rounds to get the three most fast horses.   1 Answer

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

VMWare has a very professional interview process. Their recruiters are top notch and will always keep you in the loop as to where you stand. They are also very friendly as well. With other companies sometimes you never hear back from anyone.

First there is an initial technical phone screen interview which lasts about 45 minutes or so.
    If you pass the phone interview they invite you onsite where you will be interviewing with at least three people. Each interviewer has one technical programming question which you are expected to code on a white board. This lasts around 45 minutes per interviewer. You may get a fourth interviewer added into the mix if they still don't have a good feel about you. (Most likely it's because you got 2 thumbs up and 1 thumb down) Be prepared to go back and study CS fundamentals because this is what they are looking for. stacks/hashtables/binary trees...etc as well as sorting algorithms such as mergesort/quicksort. If it's a "VMware hiring event" you have been invited to, you will encounter as little as three other candidates up to twenty who are interviewing at the same time. So don't be surprised with that.

Overall the experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers write a function so that all the even numbers are on the left side of the array and all the odd numbers are on the right side of the array.   1 Answer

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware (Houston, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

At least 7 recruiters from VMware called me, got days and times mixed up, asked the same questions over and over...(why they didn't cc each other, I don't know) and then finally set up my technical interview. My first interviewer was impressed with me and I got to the second round. There were two ladies interviewing me on the second round. They spoke in hushed tones to each other while I was talking (such I found very rude and distracting), talked about how busy they were these days and barely had any serious questions for me. I emailed 4 of the recruiters back twice and no-one even had the courtesy to say they weren't interested. All in all a waste of time. Oh and I wasn't even looking for a job, they found me on LinkedIn and hounded me till I have my number for a phone call.
    Speaks volumes for their lack of professionalism.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

Interview

I applied on my school's career service website, and received an email from VMWare to take an online test on HackRank. There were 5 coding questions to be completed in 1.5 hours. Two days later, I got an email notification from my school's career service to set up a campus interview. The interview consisted of two 45 minutes parts. The first one was a brain teaser and some regular first-round questions such as self introduction and what do you know about our company. The second one was another brain teaser and a coding question. I heard from the recruiter that this was just a general preselect interview, candidates will only get into a formal position-specific recruiting process if any technical groups in the company have matching positions.

Interview Questions

• I didn't expect brain teasers in the interview, so when I got the first one to solve, I was quite surprised, since that was the very first part of the interview after very short greeting from the recruiter. It was not that hard, but I didn't get the best answer in time. I feel I did not bad in the second part, so I guess this brain teaser was the reason I didn't enter the next round.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

Interview

30 min phone screen and a 4.5 hour full loop interview; mostly technical coding questions and some SOAR stories; The first 3 rounds were full coding and with hiring manager it was mostly explaining projects and design questions.

Interview Questions

• Design a smart pointer class   1 Answer

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

Technical - on par with bay-area's best. Very technical / in-depth discussions / past experience is the key. Algorithms / Data Structures / Typical Computer Science essentials. Essentially hands on coding will go a very very long way, keep writing code to ace the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I sent my resume in via a friend who worked for the company and was telephoned the next day. They wanted to set up a phone interview. I was called when we had set up our time and it was clear the interviewer was at home. As I could hear dogs barking. However I think that is part of the atmosphere at VMWare. Stay at home to work and laid back.

She asked me if I was interested in the company and what my main goal was. General interview questions nothing hard. She then told me about the rest of the interview process which involved hypothetically selling coffee to a group of VMware employees and then a more on the spot sales presentation with some VMware managers.

She said she would call me to schedule those interviews. I never received a follow up phone call.

Interview Questions

• What are your goals regarding your career and how you will contribute to this company or any?   Answer Question

Pricing Interview

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at VMware.

Interview

The interviewer was 37 minutes late to the interview.
    The interviewer had great difficulty speaking English.
    The interviewer eventually brought up the fact that they do not pay for relocation (ACROSS THE COUNTRY) when their posted job ad specifically states they did (and all similar jobs of this caliber would pay Relo).

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Interview

Very bad experience with VMware. I took the phone interview on Aug. They gave me an onsite on Sep. 18th. 10 days before the onsite, they send me an email and told me they have to remove me from the onsite since they realize I am a new graduate student. I have to cancle my ticked and reschedule all my other interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware.

Interview

I had a very bad experience with VMWare recruiters, twice...and both the times it was the same unpleasant experience. They contacted me to interview for a position and I gave them few slots for tech screens. Then they told me that they are not hiring any more and the email was full of spelling errors. The whole experience seemed very unprofessional.