VMware

Relevance Date Difficulty

QE Intern Interview

QE Intern
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Interview Details – Talked to the recruiter at a career fair in November got a call in Mid Feb asking for a 45 minute technical interview.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were based on Java as the intern position was a requirement fr an excellent core java developer. The toughest question was I was asked if I ever used a "load controller" in Java. I had no clue as to what it was.   Answer Question
  • Can you explain how synchronization function works in Java. He asked me about how JVM implements synchronization between 2 threads. As a follow up question asked what is lock in java.   Answer Question
  • My resume had a web development project. He asked me how can I make sure that in an online poll, a particular user can vote only once and not more than once.   Answer Question
  • what are the dis advantages of inheritance in Java.   Answer Question
  • Given an unsorted array of elements say a[] = {1,4,3,6,10} and a number say 7 print the pair of elements that add up to the number n this case I need to print {4,3}. Most efficient way of implementing this.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at VMware in May 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was long but they offered lunch. I met with several people for 30 minutes at each time. The questions asked about my job were basic however, I had the feeling that they wanted me to address how to deal with each of their pain points and how I would solve the problems that they currently faced.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was on how to deal with a specific internal issue. As I was not privy to the details, I had to guess what the situation was about. I felt that I was reaching in the dark for answers as the interviewer didn't detail the issue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation phase was easy however, the background check took longer than anticipated. I assumed it was due to the flood of candidates that were hired.

Staff Engineer Interview

Staff Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a VMWare recruiter via Linkedin. After the initial phone conversation with the recruiter, my details were put into their recruiting database. Within a week I was contacted by 5 different recruiters looking for front end web developers for their respective VMware teams.

I picked one of the teams and had a phone call with the recruiter. After talking to the recruiter about my background and interests and confirming my interest in his team, a technical phone screen was scheduled.

During the technical phone screen, I was asked questions about my background, and then a few coding questions and UI design questions. The interviewer was satisfied, so I was then schedule for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was an all-day affair, starting at 9am and ending at 4:30pm. I talked to 5 engineers and 3 managers. The engineers asked coding questions (design and code a Tic-Tac-Toe game, implement a LRU cache), algorithm questions (various ways to efficiently scan logfiles), and web UI questions (how to present data for different scenarios).

After the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me with an offer at the Staff Engineer level, salary, signing bonus, yearly target bonus, and RSUs.

Interview Question – Implement a LRU cache that can be initialized with a max size (in bytes) and keeps track of the hits/misses.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The group wasn't the right match for what I was looking for. I was looking for a group with more Web UI expertise, but this team was comprised of people who were systems and backend oriented.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Interview Details – My circumstances extended the process as well as the time of year. However the process was smooth overall. Many of the interviewers remained on-topic and wanted to ensure that the position was being fulfilled. Beyond that, they were interested in other interests to see where I may want to go within the company.

Interview Question – No questions asked were outside of the job realm   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Offer was competitive however I was looking forward to a better base salary. not a match with better compensation in other categories.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted by recruiter on Thursday, all day interviews on Monday and offer by Friday. Recruiter kept me informed the whole time and very organized the day of the interview.

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. They provided me their best offer and with upfront discussion it met my needs.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Technical Account Manager
Cleveland, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in December 2013.

Interview Details – Overall, I had a very good experience. Everybody was very forthright and kept appointments. Every person that I talked to was very professional and quick to answer any question that I had. The technical interview was rough and may have been a bit of a blow to my ego, but the interviewer was great.

Interview Question – In the technical interview, I literally felt like I tanked. There were some simple questions at the beginning but that just seemed to bring on bigger guns. The interviewer was very friendly but I think that just made it feel surreal. In the end I was not able to answer questions that I thought I knew the answer to because I was getting more nervous with every question.   Answer Question

Senior Sales Operations Analyst Interview

Senior Sales Operations Analyst
Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview Details – It was quick and sweet. Talked to Recruiter he loved me because I was able to relate to multi taksing through my sports background of playing Tight End in Football. I had 5 phone interviews then 1 on site interview with the Director and it was money. Literally Sales Operations Deal Desk is a growing space and they recognized my competency of working at Cisco in various roles.

Interview Question – Non were too difficult as I prepped for 1 full week before this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Simple. VMware pays well

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – One interview with HR staffer to determine fit, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Phone interview was challenging - very focused on SDLC knowledge and experience. Third interview was follow-up in person with member of development team - mostly just a conversation and follow-up questions from my internship. Really nice guy.

Interview Question – Tell me what you know about DevOps.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Marketing Communications Manager
San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me and set up phone interview with contractor on the East Coast. The contractor had been operating as a full-time employee and knew the needs for the position very well.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult manager.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at VMware in August 2012.

Interview Details – First phone interview, then a problem would be given over mail to be solved. Onsite interview will consist of 5 rounds typically. Team members would interview in elaborate style (not very tough), basic data structures, little bit language specific interviews might be there.

Interview Question – One manager asked to write lot of syntaxes in Java. Which I was not prepared.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Non- negotiable. For New graduates.

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware