VMware

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

3.2

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Applied online. Entire process took 2 weeks. First recruiter call. She was very sweet and helpful. Took basic information she needed from me and gave me a brief job description. Looks like there is no proper communication between recruiter and the Team because the job requirements she gave me were different from what my first interviewer gave me. However I had such experiences before, so I was prepared. 1st phone interview was scheduled with in couple of days. 1st round was for about an hour. Questions on programming concepts, design patterns with examples, SQL, Linux and one problem solving question. Testing the depth of knowledge in each area. Recruiter got back to me with in one day to schedule an on-site interview. I asked her to schedule it after 3 days. Onsite was regular all day 6 rounds + recruiter. Nothing tough. I thought it went well. Was able to solve most of the programming questions in first 4 rounds (with some help from interviewers of-course as they want it to be solved in the way they know the answer) . However my 5th interviewer was particularly rude. He asked me about everything on my resume which happened 7 years ago and I forgot the details about a few concepts in my Master's course work. He was picking on me on what ever I speak. I understood that, it is their way of making candidate feel that he is not fit for this position. Questions he asked were not particularly tough but he was just mean and rude which was annoying. From my experience with this company, if any of the interviewer is rude towards then end of the interview then it is less likely that they will hire you. Recruiter got back to me in couple of days with negative response. Honestly, I felt 80%-20% chances till that 5th interview happened.

Interview Questions
    • Questions on multiple node tree traversal and Graphs, SQL, Networking layer questions, JAVA problem solving using arrays and Hash   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware.

Phone screening by recruiter, hiring manager and director. Interview with manager, technical interview with group. For an engineer/developer position, expect to write code. They were very interested in how I would fit with the team. The team interview was the most difficult. Most questions were decent and appropriate, but there's always one or two people who will ask the most ridiculous, esoteric question about some obscure something-or-other that he ran into on some edge case. Some veterans just gotta display their scars.

Interview Questions
    • How much would you charge to wash every window in Seattle, and why?   Answer Question
    They put money/rsu's in the pot, you raise, they call - up to you from there.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Recruiter contacted me, went through phone screen, phone interview, and in person interview.

The recruiting process was somewhat jumbled - I was put in touch with 3 different recruiters, one of who forgot to tell me that my phone interview was scheduled. Otherwise, everyone was pretty good with response time.

Interview Questions
    Offer was much higher than any other place I'd looked at for this type of position so I didn't negotiate.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

I found this job on all the boards (Monster, Brass Ring, etc). They said they had "hundreds" of resumes submitted. I phone interviewed first with a member of the team (who would become my peer). Then I met him in person. Then I had a call with his peer. Then I had a call with the hiring manager. Then I had a call with that manager's manager. I also had a call with the salesperson aligned with the role. Then I had a face to face meeting with the VP of the group, the whole team, and another salesperson.

It was between me and one other candidate, and I took the initiative to meet with the most senior member of the team and a few others. I was told that it pushed me over the edge and got me the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Senior VP asked me detailed questions about where I thought the market for certain products was headed. I had lots to say, and I felt that I nailed it.   Answer Question
    I tried but got nothing more than the original offer. Recruiter said "so should I tell the hiring manager that you aren't exactly over the moon about the offer?". I was convinced to take it when I carefully considered the total offer, including stock, benefits, etc.

Strategic Account Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

took 4 months - involved 8 interviews across team members, stakeholders in engineering, VP and SVP

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Questions
    • In total 7 rounds.
      1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort
      2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces
      This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better.
      3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements
      4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order:
      s
      tr
      tri
      tring
      r.....
      5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!]
      6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures
      7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort
      Also random java questions in almost all the rounds..

Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...

Answer Question

FP&A Intern (MBA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Two rounds of interview after initial HR screening. First round was with hiring manager. A simple case and behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. It was more to check my interest in the firm and the business. The hiring manager was really nice and he helped me understand the role and expectations.
    Second round was more a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Why tech sector when you don't have any prior experience and what do you understand about business and services that VMware provide.   Answer Question

Senior Manager R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

The process was clearly explained from the start. Phone interviews with HR and senior tech lead followed by 2 rounds of interview. The team was clearly outlined and I any questions or concerns were promptly addressed.

Interview Questions
    • My technical and negotiaton skills were extensively explored.   Answer Question
    I negotiated the title but not the package. I'd requested that any package offer be competitive as I was not keen on negotiating.

Senior Manager, IT Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware.

Initial contact with vmware was very smooth and I could tell their processes were well thought out. After passing the interview, the offer portion of the conversation was a bit congested and their communications struggled a bit. Processing my offer was even a bit more difficult as I wasnt quite sure of my status right up until I had to turn in my 2 weeks to meet their expected start date. All in all the company made it well worth it and now as someone hiring into vmware I can tell they have ironed out all of my initial concerns.

Interview Questions
    • What ground breaking technologies have you worked on and what were your biggest challenges in meeting goals.   Answer Question