VMware

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in March 2014.

I received an email from a recruiter via Linked In regarding an "invite only" recruiting event to take place in Cambridge, MA. The event was to be held roughly 2 months from when I received the initial communication. I was told that VMWare was looking to fill several engineering roles "up and down the stack", and that they were looking for "every background" and "all experience levels".

After expressing my interest, I was instructed to take a 1 hour coding challenge via Interview Street (now Hacker Rank). The challenge was a single problem that covered basic data structures/algorithms and could be completed in the language of my choice.

After completing the coding challenge with 100% accuracy, I was invited to attend the event, and VMWare connected me with the appropriate people to arrange travel, ask questions, etc. So far so good.

2 days before I was scheduled to attend the event, I received a call that my interview would be cancelled. The hiring managers were looking for a very specific skill set, which I did not have. While all the communication I had received up until this point stressed that VMWare was looking to fill multiple different roles, and was looking for "solid CS fundamentals" and the ability to "quickly ramp up and learn new technologies", it seems the hiring managers were looking specifically for kernel developers with extensive experience in C.

I was very surprised to see that such a communication gap had occurred between the hiring team(s) and the recruiting team. I felt that this should have been caught much, much sooner. I had been in contact with VMWare for nearly 2 months! During this time I received very detailed documentation describing the general skills that they were looking for. That being said, I did appreciate them stopping the process as soon as it became clear there was not a match.

Technical Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in March 2014.

A vmware recruiter contacted me for a phone interview after I applied online. The recruiter rattled off 10-20 stock questions on her sheet. Very cold demeanor, told me I only had 1-2min to answer each question and cut me off as I was talking. Not surprisingly, my answers didn't fit into whatever stock answers she had and I never heard from anyone at vmware again.

Interview Questions
    • None too difficult, just cliche type program management questions.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Hiring manager contacted me after going through my resume. I had 2 rounds of telephonic interview. One with Hiring manager and another with Senior Member of Technical Staff. Interview consisted of questions on tree traversals, some array based questions and java internals.

Cannot negotiate as it is same for all interns

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

One interview with HR staffer to determine fit, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Phone interview was challenging - very focused on SDLC knowledge and experience. Third interview was follow-up in person with member of development team - mostly just a conversation and follow-up questions from my internship. Really nice guy.

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware.

Recruiter contacted me and set up phone interview with contractor on the East Coast. The contractor had been operating as a full-time employee and knew the needs for the position very well.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult manager.   Answer Question

QE Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Talked to the recruiter at a career fair in November got a call in Mid Feb asking for a 45 minute technical interview.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were based on Java as the intern position was a requirement fr an excellent core java developer. The toughest question was I was asked if I ever used a "load controller" in Java. I had no clue as to what it was.   Answer Question
    • Can you explain how synchronization function works in Java. He asked me about how JVM implements synchronization between 2 threads. As a follow up question asked what is lock in java.   Answer Question
    • My resume had a web development project. He asked me how can I make sure that in an online poll, a particular user can vote only once and not more than once.   Answer Question
    • what are the dis advantages of inheritance in Java.   Answer Question
    • Given an unsorted array of elements say a[] = {1,4,3,6,10} and a number say 7 print the pair of elements that add up to the number n this case I need to print {4,3}. Most efficient way of implementing this.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in February 2014.

I was initially contacted by a VMWare recruiter via Linkedin. After the initial phone conversation with the recruiter, my details were put into their recruiting database. Within a week I was contacted by 5 different recruiters looking for front end web developers for their respective VMware teams.

I picked one of the teams and had a phone call with the recruiter. After talking to the recruiter about my background and interests and confirming my interest in his team, a technical phone screen was scheduled.

During the technical phone screen, I was asked questions about my background, and then a few coding questions and UI design questions. The interviewer was satisfied, so I was then schedule for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was an all-day affair, starting at 9am and ending at 4:30pm. I talked to 5 engineers and 3 managers. The engineers asked coding questions (design and code a Tic-Tac-Toe game, implement a LRU cache), algorithm questions (various ways to efficiently scan logfiles), and web UI questions (how to present data for different scenarios).

After the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me with an offer at the Staff Engineer level, salary, signing bonus, yearly target bonus, and RSUs.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a LRU cache that can be initialized with a max size (in bytes) and keeps track of the hits/misses.   Answer Question

The group wasn't the right match for what I was looking for. I was looking for a group with more Web UI expertise, but this team was comprised of people who were systems and backend oriented.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

My circumstances extended the process as well as the time of year. However the process was smooth overall. Many of the interviewers remained on-topic and wanted to ensure that the position was being fulfilled. Beyond that, they were interested in other interests to see where I may want to go within the company.

Interview Questions

Offer was competitive however I was looking forward to a better base salary. not a match with better compensation in other categories.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Submitted resume on university career fair and Vmware company day. Attended on-campus interview. Two rounds with two engineers. Quite different from regular ones.. The first interviewer started with one of my Java project and dig into mutex and lock, which I did not prepare for.. But the engineer was quite nice and it was more like a lecture on lock for me.. The second interviewer asked about algorithm and spent much effort on corner case. He also interrupted several times when I was talking, which I didn't feel that comfortable. Still haven't got feedback but I have taken another offer.

Interview Questions
    • operating system, locks. basic algorithm questions (pay attention to wired corner cases)   Answer Question

2 rounds of phone and 5 rounds of onsite