VMware

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

My circumstances extended the process as well as the time of year. However the process was smooth overall. Many of the interviewers remained on-topic and wanted to ensure that the position was being fulfilled. Beyond that, they were interested in other interests to see where I may want to go within the company.

Interview Questions

Offer was competitive however I was looking forward to a better base salary. not a match with better compensation in other categories.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware in February 2014.

Submitted resume on university career fair and Vmware company day. Attended on-campus interview. Two rounds with two engineers. Quite different from regular ones.. The first interviewer started with one of my Java project and dig into mutex and lock, which I did not prepare for.. But the engineer was quite nice and it was more like a lecture on lock for me.. The second interviewer asked about algorithm and spent much effort on corner case. He also interrupted several times when I was talking, which I didn't feel that comfortable. Still haven't got feedback but I have taken another offer.

Interview Questions
    • operating system, locks. basic algorithm questions (pay attention to wired corner cases)   Answer Question

2 rounds of phone and 5 rounds of onsite

Member of Technical Staff Interview

It went for almost a month.
    first 3 telephonic interviews happened after that on-site (in Bangalore India office) interview happened.
    After 3 days of on-site interview I got the offer

Interview Questions
    • Questions were fairly easy.
      Graphs, trees concepts were the focus

Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

Was contacted by a recruiter and the initial phone interview went well, just talked about my experience and got a feel for the job responsibilities. The next call was set up with one of the team members and this was where the technical questions were asked. Most were about SQL queries and how to pull information from tables. The third interview was set up with the hiring manager and the call only lasted about 30 minutes, with him not really asking any questions, just talking about the job. Was told I would be hearing from them within the week and I heard nothing so I contacted the recruiter and got no response.

Interview Questions
    • Just questions on how to pull data from multiple tables and then output that data into a report.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in January 2014.

campus interview.
    Asked only one question in 45 mins. It is Knight's Shortest Path Chess Question.
    I am using BSF to sloe it , but not good enough, asking to solve it by DP in constant time. If you did not see it before, it would be hard to get the right answer

Segment Solutions Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in January 2014.

I applied for a Field Marketing Position, but their "scouting" recruiter (a contractor) convinced me that I was more suited for another role she had a req for, so she submitted me for their Solutions Marketing position instead. I did 3 phone interviews and then had 7 in-person interviews... I sent thank you notes to all the interviewers, followed up at timely and regular intervals with both the Lead Recruiter and the hiring manager... and never heard a single word about the position. They would not respond to my voicemails or my emails, not even a form email telling me they had filled the position and thanking me for my time.

Interview Questions
    • The first 6 of the the interviewers asked good questions and reinforced that I would be a great fit based on my skills and personality... Basically telling me what I wanted to hear about the position. The 7th interviewer (their Sr. Director) was brutally honest, he told me what the job would really be like (very different from what the more jr. folks described), and said that based on the breadth my background he didn't feel that I would be happy in this role that he felt was very restricted in scope.   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in January 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter on Thursday, all day interviews on Monday and offer by Friday. Recruiter kept me informed the whole time and very organized the day of the interview.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. They provided me their best offer and with upfront discussion it met my needs.

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Called by recruiter, went through a simulated sales call. After passing that about a week and a half later was scheduled for a 5 minute predetermined WebEx topic followed by a phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • In 5 minutes give us an overview of what virtualization is.   Answer Question

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware in December 2013.

I had 2 onside interview. The first one was 2 technical and 1 with manager, each takes about 1 hour. The second was 4 technical and 1 with manager, each takes about 1 hour.

Each technical interview started with coding, you are starting to code and it created many many topics for discussions. The interviewers were nice. The process itself is very common for silicon valley.

Interview Questions
    • There was not a lot of unexpected questions - algorithmic, coding, understanding of architecting principles, etc.   Answer Question
    Negotiated the base salary increase, the overall offer is great