VMware

418 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Program Manager Interview

Senior Program Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview Details – I knew someone, so that helped immensely. I didn't get a lot of the normal "where do you see yourself questions". Mainly they described the job, and I asked questions and addressed their areas of concern with my experience. You interview with HR, then the hiring manager then there is at least 1 panel interview with a team of your peers or one level up managers. It takes at least a month to get hired with all the back and forth and approval of your package (despite having a req approved)

Interview Question – They ask you to whiteboard a solution to see how good you are at communicating graphically, you should spend some time on this skill   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Tell them, they offered more than I asked. Had a competitive offer, and they sweetened the pot with a way nicer laptop and a signing bonus.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at VMware in March 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume though Linkedin which redirects to the VMware job site (not great). create a job agent, they update frequently. I also suggest reaching out to one of the recruiters over linked in it will place you front and center.
After initial call with the recruiter (Areas of strength, what jobs I'm looking for and salary ask) you get a call schedule with a hiring manager.
Expect 2 phone screens (at least). the phone screens are targeted to get a feel for what your strengths are and how do you work with other people. be sensitive to the fact that VMware is engineering led and there are a lot of players, so coming across as a nice person who can get people to want to collaborate is key. it also helps to ask the hiring managers what type of experience he is looking for, the job descriptions are not accurate and missing a lot of info. on-site interview loop (I had two sperate ones): get to VMware at least 30 minutes before. parking is complicated and the campus is not easy to navigate. dress up, VMware is not a jeans company (Suite ok but no tie). You will be picked up from the lobby and be sited in a conference room with people changing places every 45 minutes. make sure to get the interviewers names from the recruiter and look them up on linked in. Expect PM, PMM, Engineering and your hiring manager boss. most question will focus on how you handle work situation, convicts, PM processes and engineering relationships. make sure to have and answer and not come across as a lone ranger - VMware is group driven and engineering are strong so make them comfortable. some interviews in the on-site will be over the phone as VMware has many sites and several campus areas. expect interviews to be rescheduled several times. also, have a presentation ready (3-5 slides) PM present a lot in VMware. Do your research on the specific market and players in the space, but don't come across as "know it all", ask questions mentioning fact you researched. Also, know your agile development methodology - VMware is big on agile, bit not all groups are there so ask first.

Interview Question – "Tell me a bout a time in your career where you made a mistake. what was the mistake, what where the results and what did you learn from the experience?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The Recruiter asked for my current comp. level. He came back with an offer that was 15% higher than what I was making, but the RSU and Bonus didn't compare to what I had to lose by leaving. I asked for an additional $15K, he asked for 2 days to get approvals and I received the extra $15K. it seems that they can adjust RSU, Cache bonus and relocation, and RSU is the easiest to get more off as it long term (3 years).

Technical Consultant Interview

Technical Consultant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Was contacted by a recruiter and the initial phone interview went well, just talked about my experience and got a feel for the job responsibilities. The next call was set up with one of the team members and this was where the technical questions were asked. Most were about SQL queries and how to pull information from tables. The third interview was set up with the hiring manager and the call only lasted about 30 minutes, with him not really asking any questions, just talking about the job. Was told I would be hearing from them within the week and I heard nothing so I contacted the recruiter and got no response.

Interview Question – Just questions on how to pull data from multiple tables and then output that data into a report.   Answer Question

Order Analyst Interview

Order Analyst
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in November 2013.

Interview Details – Had a brief phone interview in regards to the responsibilities of the contract position and if I was interested. Of course I was, so the next day I was contacted by the department Manager to schedule an in-person interview. Met with the Manager and Supervisor for a one hour interview. Although I found the interview to be pretty difficult due to the types of questions asked, overall I thought it went well. The Manager and Supervisor were very friendly, knowledgeable, and explained exactly what they are looking for in their new hire. They spoke very positive and well about the company's environment and culture. I was happy to hear VMware is "here to stay" and the company finds it very important to provide their employees long term opportunities and growth.

Interview Question – Something along the lines of "If someone from Sales was very pushy towards you in booking an order, however not following procedures and claiming they received approval from their boss, how would you handle this scenario? What if you don't have all the information needed to complete this order?"   Answer Question

Lead Development Representative Interview

Lead Development Representative
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring Blitz, took place same day.

1.) Sat in a conference room with others interviewing for the position with some hiring managers. Here, we listened to a presentation from an employee on the overview of the company.

2.) Formal interview with two other managers and just myself being asked typical questions one would expect.

3.) Sales simulation, where I called into a room with two other hiring managers. Had a script that I received in advance in an effort to assess my phone and sale presence. This was followed up with another interview with these managers.

4.) Conducted a powerpoint presentation for two other hiring managers so they could assess your presentation skills. The presentation could be basically anything related to the company. This was also followed up with another short interview with those managers as well.

Each process was about 15 minutes each.

Interview Question – Pretty basic interview questions.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Called by recruiter, went through a simulated sales call. After passing that about a week and a half later was scheduled for a 5 minute predetermined WebEx topic followed by a phone interview.

Interview Question – In 5 minutes give us an overview of what virtualization is.   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Principal Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied on their website and two groups wanted to talk to me. After one phone screen, I decided one position didn't appeal to me and I told them as much. I had two phone screens, one with a hiring manager who talked about the position and basically asking the behavioral questions. The second phone screen was a coding interview with collaboration software. Once I cleared the phone screen, I was asked to visit their campus for on site interview. People were generally nice and helpful(I couldn't locate the office building, one of the employees actually walked me upto the building to show it). The onsite interview was smooth, clean and to the point. They were very courteous and polite. After the onsite interview, I was told that they will inform me about the decision. Since it was the week before thanksgiving, They didn't reach out to me till the next week when they told me that they are yet to make a decision. I was told that I am in strong contention and they were trying to decide between me and an internal candidate. Since I had another offer, I didn't persue this any further.

Interview Question – How do you design a software switch. Check if a binary tree is binary search tree   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Burlington, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied through the VMWare website. I heard back from a recruiter within 2 weeks of applying.

Step 1>There was a high level non technical conversation with the recruiter. Stuff like whats your background, what are you looking for and so on.

A few days later the recruiter called back to schedule a phone screen.

Step 2> The phone screen was 15 minutes long. They asked me some questions on C#, SQL, asp.net mvc and other stuff that was there on my resume. Nothing too hard.

Few days later the recruiter called back to schedule an in person interview. I asked for a date 1 week later and they were okay with it.

Step 3>The in person interview was about 5-6 hours of back to back interviews. All the interviewers were extremely polite. They made me very comfortable. During the interview they even helped me a few times when I got stuck. However I must say that this was the toughest interview I ever attended. The interview involves a lot of white board coding. There were obviously many questions based on what was there in my resume, besides that these are the general areas that they targeted

Questions on my master's thesis ( which I submitted 7 years ago!)

Many algorithm based questions (code in your language of choice).

Low level questions on memory management.

Design/Architecture based questions.

There was a question where they asked me to pick flaws in the architecture of a certain system.

At the end of the interview I was about 70% confident that I would get an offer. (The 30% doubt was there because they had to help me a few times along the way)

Step 4> About 2 days later I got a call from the recruiter with an offer.

Interview Question – Using minimum memory, write a program that can fit a dictionary inside the smallest possible crossword (words have to make sense horizontally as well as vertically).   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They gave a very generous (due to the benefits) offer and I did not even try to negotiate.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Product Marketing Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at VMware in July 2010.

Interview Details – Was recruited by their headhunter. Met with a few people, hiring manager 3 times total.

Interview Question – I really don't remember it being all that difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't really need to negotiate. I wanted the job and they wanted me.

Marketing Intern Interview

Marketing Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Most of the initial process went through my school which sent my resume to the company. Once the company reviewed my resume they scheduled a face to face interview. It was a 30 minute interview, with some candidates going through 2. The questions were fairly simple: experience, leadership, "how would you solve...", etc."

Interview Question – Nothing really, everything was fairly standard.   Answer Question