VMware

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

3.2

Inside Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in December 2013.

I came into the office and interviewed with the manager of the Federal inside team. I had 2 different interviews--with each manager on the Federal inside team. They asked that I provide a presentation to test my knowledge of Federal and also the territory that I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult was about the current requirements that are going on for VMware in the territory I interviewed for.   Answer Question

Marketing Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware.

Most of the initial process went through my school which sent my resume to the company. Once the company reviewed my resume they scheduled a face to face interview. It was a 30 minute interview, with some candidates going through 2. The questions were fairly simple: experience, leadership, "how would you solve...", etc."

Sfdc Developer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware.

The hiring process was intial phone screen. After that it was onsite interview.
    Only one person took the Interview.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was like he was more concerned about their requirement and not listening to my experience.   Answer Question

Principal Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in November 2013.

I applied on their website and two groups wanted to talk to me. After one phone screen, I decided one position didn't appeal to me and I told them as much. I had two phone screens, one with a hiring manager who talked about the position and basically asking the behavioral questions. The second phone screen was a coding interview with collaboration software. Once I cleared the phone screen, I was asked to visit their campus for on site interview. People were generally nice and helpful(I couldn't locate the office building, one of the employees actually walked me upto the building to show it). The onsite interview was smooth, clean and to the point. They were very courteous and polite. After the onsite interview, I was told that they will inform me about the decision. Since it was the week before thanksgiving, They didn't reach out to me till the next week when they told me that they are yet to make a decision. I was told that I am in strong contention and they were trying to decide between me and an internal candidate. Since I had another offer, I didn't persue this any further.

Interview Questions
    • How do you design a software switch. Check if a binary tree is binary search tree   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at VMware in November 2013.

I applied through the VMWare website. I heard back from a recruiter within 2 weeks of applying.

Step 1>There was a high level non technical conversation with the recruiter. Stuff like whats your background, what are you looking for and so on.

A few days later the recruiter called back to schedule a phone screen.

Step 2> The phone screen was 15 minutes long. They asked me some questions on C#, SQL, asp.net mvc and other stuff that was there on my resume. Nothing too hard.

Few days later the recruiter called back to schedule an in person interview. I asked for a date 1 week later and they were okay with it.

Step 3>The in person interview was about 5-6 hours of back to back interviews. All the interviewers were extremely polite. They made me very comfortable. During the interview they even helped me a few times when I got stuck. However I must say that this was the toughest interview I ever attended. The interview involves a lot of white board coding. There were obviously many questions based on what was there in my resume, besides that these are the general areas that they targeted

Questions on my master's thesis ( which I submitted 7 years ago!)

Many algorithm based questions (code in your language of choice).

Low level questions on memory management.

Design/Architecture based questions.

There was a question where they asked me to pick flaws in the architecture of a certain system.

At the end of the interview I was about 70% confident that I would get an offer. (The 30% doubt was there because they had to help me a few times along the way)

Step 4> About 2 days later I got a call from the recruiter with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Using minimum memory, write a program that can fit a dictionary inside the smallest possible crossword (words have to make sense horizontally as well as vertically).   Answer Question
    They gave a very generous (due to the benefits) offer and I did not even try to negotiate.

Order Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in November 2013.

Had a brief phone interview in regards to the responsibilities of the contract position and if I was interested. Of course I was, so the next day I was contacted by the department Manager to schedule an in-person interview. Met with the Manager and Supervisor for a one hour interview. Although I found the interview to be pretty difficult due to the types of questions asked, overall I thought it went well. The Manager and Supervisor were very friendly, knowledgeable, and explained exactly what they are looking for in their new hire. They spoke very positive and well about the company's environment and culture. I was happy to hear VMware is "here to stay" and the company finds it very important to provide their employees long term opportunities and growth.

Interview Questions
    • Something along the lines of "If someone from Sales was very pushy towards you in booking an order, however not following procedures and claiming they received approval from their boss, how would you handle this scenario? What if you don't have all the information needed to complete this order?"   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware.

Was contacted by a recruiter through linkedin and there was a technical phone interview scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • On a NUMA architecture, if there is a huge process say running on NUMA node 0 and it is migrated to NUMA node 1 and you want to copy the process address space from NUMA node 0 to NUMA node 1 local memory how would you do that?   View Answer
    • How Linear to physical address translation works and what are the field in PTE.   Answer Question
    • If there is one spin lock used for N different thread and each thread has its local variable which is just incremented by 1. If these threads are running all together on N cpus will after say 10 seconds the count of all the local variable be same. different? why?   View Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

Once you get passed HR the process is easy. Know what you are talking about, have the relevant experience and you'll be fine.

Interview Questions
    • You need to launch a project in 90 days. What do you do?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at VMware.

I submitted my application and heard back very quickly, was brought in to a hiring blitz with people of varied backgrounds in which I was asked to prepare a presentation, go through a mock call, and talk about my background.

Interview Questions
    • The mock call was the most difficult because I was the least prepared for it, and I became very nervous.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in October 2013.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter about a private interview event in my city. The communication was pleasant and informative. I was asked to complete a timed (one hour) coding question online at my convenience. If the coding question went well, then I would be invited to participate at the interview event. I completed the coding question, and submitted my solution. A few days later I received word that they would be not be moving forward with me.

Interview Questions
    • You are given a dictionary, such as /usr/share/dict/words, containing a list of words, one per line. You are also given seven tiles. Each tile is either blank or contains a single lowercase letter (a-z).

List all of the words from the dictionary that can be produced by using some or all of the seven tiles, in any order. A blank tile is a wildcard, and can be used in place of any letter.

Try to use a minimal amount of memory.

1. Find all of the words that can be formed if you don't have to deal with blank tiles. (You may skip this step and go straight to step 2).

2. Find all of the words that can be formed, including those where blank tiles are used as wildcards.

3. Would you do things differently if you had to process several hundred tile sets with the same dictionary?

View Answers (3)