VMware

Interview Question – To explain and overcome failures   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in April 2012.

Interview Details – very lengthy process and multiple interviews. They bring in many people at once and it is very tedious

Director Strategic Alliances Interview

Director Strategic Alliances
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at VMware in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had a preliminary interview and then came back for a full day of interviews. After that they had a long list of people that they wanted to talk to after that. My wait was from Oct to April to start the job. So long story short, it takes a hell of a long time to get hired at this company.

Interview Question – Nothing crazy, they did quiz me a little bit about products but overall I think they are good.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Senior Manager, Global Mobility Interview

Senior Manager, Global Mobility
Austin, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in September 2013.

Interview Details – The process was easy. I worked with a coordinator to schedule times. Everyone was prompt and the interviews went smoothly. I went through 6 live interviews, scheduled in blocks of 3, then I had a follow-up phone interview. I had an offer w/in 2 weeks of my first interview.

Interview Question – I went into the interviews prepared. I was not thrown by any questions. I did have one interviewer go through my resume' and ask about each job change, which was a first.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Fairly simple, not much back and forth.

Senior Tech Ops Engineer Interview

Senior Tech Ops Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at VMware in August 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process went well, but it took a while. The process starts off with a phone screen and then if you pass that you will get scheduled with an onsite interview. The onsite took about five hours and was very thorough.

Interview Question – The tech interviews were very in depth.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I felt that they were offering their best and it was a competitive offer.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – vmware recruiters are probably some of the worst. They can be disrespectful and rude, just be prepared for that.

The phone screens were pretty typical as was the onsite. There is a big deal of focus on multithreading and data structures/algorithms. But if you are well prepared for interviews in the valley, you will notice that vmware interviews are easier than other more desired companies like google, facebook, linked in and box.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected. Typical tree algorithms with focus on multithreading.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Of all the offers at hand, vmware had the worst recruiting experience. They have faced a lot of attrition from senior engineers and recent-quits from vmware warned me against joining vmware. There code base is pretty bad at this point and that with the lack of good talent could mean a really tough experience once you join.

Very Easy Interview

Revenue Analyst Interview

Revenue Analyst
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – An initial phone screen with a recruiter. Resume is then sent to hiring manager for review. Second phone interview with a revenue manager. Finally, a in person interview (make sure to ask what building as my coordinator did not give me the correct building number..). Team is very nice, but for the Palo Alto location they will only hire individuals of asian and caucasian descent, regardless of your qualifications.

Interview Question – Do you think you can handle this position?   View Answer

Data Center Supervisor Interview

Data Center Supervisor
Reston, VA

I interviewed at VMware in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call from a recruiter who set up a telephone screen. i passed the screen and was brought in for a face to face. Unfortunately I did not pass that interview.

They process was reasonably swift and they did give some feedback.

Interview Question – The live interview was very detailed and very specific.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Legal
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 months - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – My first contact was with Luann Walsh. Luann is the best recruiter I have ever encountered. She was thorough, honest and responsive throughout the interview process. During our first meeting she primarily gathered information from me: my current role, the structure of the team, my interests and goals. She informed me that she would get back to me in two days to let me know if I would be a good fit; she called me back within two days. I went for an initial interview with the hiring manager shortly thereafter and we hit it off. After the interview with the hiring manager I met with Luann and she explained that the company was still trying to decide the right level of person for the position, but that I was a strong candidate. Shortly thereafter she reached out to me and informed me that the company was going to hold off on hiring for the position, but she would let me know if/when things changed. Several months later I received a call from Luann asking if I was still interested in the position. Within 2 weeks I had six interviews set up with various people in the legal department, including the General Counsel. Everyone I met with was fabulous: high energy, excited about what they do, honest about the pros and cons (I have been working at the company for a month now and all my impressions from the interview process hold true). After the interview Luann maintained regular contact with me, letting me know the status every step of the way. I always felt fully informed and that everyone truly cared about my feelings throughout the process. One notable experience was that when I sent thank you notes to everyone I interviewed with I received several responses to my thank you notes, including from the General Counsel. Those special touches go a long way to making a great experience.

Interview Question – I cannot think of anything specific that I was asked during the interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As an attorney, I tried to negotiate everything: base salary, stock, sign-on bonus...There was some movement in the sign-on bonus. The package they offered was great and I am very happy with the outcome.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in May 2012.

Interview Details – After 14 interviews over 2 months with team members, management, adjacent management, 2 recruiters they finally felt comfortable in having me join them. The process was unpredictable and felt like a roller-coaster ride based on the feeling you had from each interview. Next steps was kind of joke as there was always someone else you had to talk to.

Interview Question – How will you hit the ground running?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation. They offered and you honored or it was over. I tried but to no avail.