VMware Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

3.2

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview process starts with a phone interview and then leads to an onsite interview which is usually with one or more inside sales representatives and followed by one or more inside sales managers. After that, they will do a background check on you and some other formalities but that is it.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest weakness? What do you need to improve on?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for more compensation two separate times and was granted more each time

QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware.

Interview

first stage was an online programiing test. Three questions. second stage was a skyper interview. The Questions were fair. One sorting question, one about finding height of tree plus general Java questions

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

I found this job on all the boards (Monster, Brass Ring, etc). They said they had "hundreds" of resumes submitted. I phone interviewed first with a member of the team (who would become my peer). Then I met him in person. Then I had a call with his peer. Then I had a call with the hiring manager. Then I had a call with that manager's manager. I also had a call with the salesperson aligned with the role. Then I had a face to face meeting with the VP of the group, the whole team, and another salesperson. It was between me and one other candidate, and I took the initiative to meet with the most senior member of the team and a few others. I was told that it pushed me over the edge and got me the offer.

Interview Questions

• Senior VP asked me detailed questions about where I thought the market for certain products was headed. I had lots to say, and I felt that I nailed it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried but got nothing more than the original offer. Recruiter said "so should I tell the hiring manager that you aren't exactly over the moon about the offer?". I was convinced to take it when I carefully considered the total offer, including stock, benefits, etc.

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

Applied online. Entire process took 2 weeks. First recruiter call. She was very sweet and helpful. Took basic information she needed from me and gave me a brief job description. Looks like there is no proper communication between recruiter and the Team because the job requirements she gave me were different from what my first interviewer gave me. However I had such experiences before, so I was prepared. 1st phone interview was scheduled with in couple of days. 1st round was for about an hour. Questions on programming concepts, design patterns with examples, SQL, Linux and one problem solving question. Testing the depth of knowledge in each area. Recruiter got back to me with in one day to schedule an on-site interview. I asked her to schedule it after 3 days. Onsite was regular all day 6 rounds + recruiter. Nothing tough. I thought it went well. Was able to solve most of the programming questions in first 4 rounds (with some help from interviewers of-course as they want it to be solved in the way they know the answer) . However my 5th interviewer was particularly rude. He asked me about everything on my resume which happened 7 years ago and I forgot the details about a few concepts in my Master's course work. He was picking on me on what ever I speak. I understood that, it is their way of making candidate feel that he is not fit for this position. Questions he asked were not particularly tough but he was just mean and rude which was annoying. From my experience with this company, if any of the interviewer is rude towards then end of the interview then it is less likely that they will hire you. Recruiter got back to me in couple of days with negative response. Honestly, I felt 80%-20% chances till that 5th interview happened.

Interview Questions

• Questions on multiple node tree traversal and Graphs, SQL, Networking layer questions, JAVA problem solving using arrays and Hash   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

Phone screening by recruiter, hiring manager and director. Interview with manager, technical interview with group. For an engineer/developer position, expect to write code. They were very interested in how I would fit with the team. The team interview was the most difficult. Most questions were decent and appropriate, but there's always one or two people who will ask the most ridiculous, esoteric question about some obscure something-or-other that he ran into on some edge case. Some veterans just gotta display their scars.

Interview Questions

• How much would you charge to wash every window in Seattle, and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They put money/rsu's in the pot, you raise, they call - up to you from there.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me, went through phone screen, phone interview, and in person interview. The recruiting process was somewhat jumbled - I was put in touch with 3 different recruiters, one of who forgot to tell me that my phone interview was scheduled. Otherwise, everyone was pretty good with response time.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer was much higher than any other place I'd looked at for this type of position so I didn't negotiate.

QA Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Seems standard but tough, initially there was an option of either a phone screen or an online hackerrank test, once you get past that on-site interviews. A good solid preparation of computer science fundaments, data structures and algorithms is necessary. Being local there was no issue of arranging travel/hotel etc. probably will get re-reimbursed for travel ling 10 miles (heh).

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Questions

• In total 7 rounds. 1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort 2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better. 3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements 4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order: s st str stri strin string t tr tri tring r..... 5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!] 6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures 7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort Also random java questions in almost all the rounds.. Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...   Answer Question

Strategic Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

Interview

took 4 months - involved 8 interviews across team members, stakeholders in engineering, VP and SVP