VMware

Relevance Date Difficulty

Data Center Supervisor Interview

Data Center Supervisor
Reston, VA

I interviewed at VMware in May 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call from a recruiter who set up a telephone screen. i passed the screen and was brought in for a face to face. Unfortunately I did not pass that interview.

They process was reasonably swift and they did give some feedback.

Interview Question – The live interview was very detailed and very specific.   Answer Question

Legal Interview

Legal
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 months - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – My first contact was with Luann Walsh. Luann is the best recruiter I have ever encountered. She was thorough, honest and responsive throughout the interview process. During our first meeting she primarily gathered information from me: my current role, the structure of the team, my interests and goals. She informed me that she would get back to me in two days to let me know if I would be a good fit; she called me back within two days. I went for an initial interview with the hiring manager shortly thereafter and we hit it off. After the interview with the hiring manager I met with Luann and she explained that the company was still trying to decide the right level of person for the position, but that I was a strong candidate. Shortly thereafter she reached out to me and informed me that the company was going to hold off on hiring for the position, but she would let me know if/when things changed. Several months later I received a call from Luann asking if I was still interested in the position. Within 2 weeks I had six interviews set up with various people in the legal department, including the General Counsel. Everyone I met with was fabulous: high energy, excited about what they do, honest about the pros and cons (I have been working at the company for a month now and all my impressions from the interview process hold true). After the interview Luann maintained regular contact with me, letting me know the status every step of the way. I always felt fully informed and that everyone truly cared about my feelings throughout the process. One notable experience was that when I sent thank you notes to everyone I interviewed with I received several responses to my thank you notes, including from the General Counsel. Those special touches go a long way to making a great experience.

Interview Question – I cannot think of anything specific that I was asked during the interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As an attorney, I tried to negotiate everything: base salary, stock, sign-on bonus...There was some movement in the sign-on bonus. The package they offered was great and I am very happy with the outcome.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in May 2012.

Interview Details – After 14 interviews over 2 months with team members, management, adjacent management, 2 recruiters they finally felt comfortable in having me join them. The process was unpredictable and felt like a roller-coaster ride based on the feeling you had from each interview. Next steps was kind of joke as there was always someone else you had to talk to.

Interview Question – How will you hit the ground running?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation. They offered and you honored or it was over. I tried but to no avail.

Systems Engineer Interview

Systems Engineer
Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware in July 2013.

Interview Details – Good discussions with VMware recruiter, and local SE manager lead to on-site interview with SE Manager and a few account reps. Interview questions were the normal, how do you overcome objections, how resources do you use. After several weeks of hearing nothing, was told I wasn't being offered the position, but may be contacted in the future.

Interview Question – How do you deal with a customer wanting to go in depth on a product you know little about - 5 minutes before the meeting?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Build and Release Engineer Interview

Senior Build and Release Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screens followed by two on-site visits, one in San Francisco and one in Palo Alto. Some interviews were relatively easy for me and in my area of expertise. The developers' programming challenges were quite difficult but not ridiculous- probably a bit more depth than was necessary for the job. The last two interviews were unnecessary and irrelevant.

I was surprised I didn't get a job offer, as I had highly relevant and rare skills they were looking for (deep rpmbuild expertise). Not surprisingly, they didn't fill the position and then called me back almost a year later, telling me they'd been unable to find anybody with my skill set. I told them I'd already interviewed. I probably wouldn't interview here again.

Interview Question – I was interviewing for a build and release position, and after answering many relevant scripting and SCM questions, an interviewer who ran out of things to ask asked me to in detail describe, the process for a c write() command making it to disc. I was asked to describe all of the buffering, system calls, etc.   View Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Product Marketing Manager

Interviewed at VMware

Interview Details – HR screen. Was told I would receive a call from hiring mgr. Silence. HR screen repeated some months later for what seemed to be the same job, but was actually a different role. Progress to full day on site with HR, hiring mgr, 3 other "stakeholders" from related departments. HR was 45 minutes late to kick off that in person all day process.

Interview Question – no difficult questions per se. focus on past histroy, successess   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Operations Interview

Sales Operations
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in March 2009.

Interview Details – Started as a contractor. Initial interview was with person to be working for as well as first level manager. Worked with several area in Sales/Partner Operations group before getting hired by one group. Took a little while to get job description created in order to get hired as a full time employee but once job description was created was hired as a VMware employee.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected or difficult. Probably was hired as a contractor to do admin tasks.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation since I started as a contractor. It was a good experience to start as a contractor then move into a full time employee.

Senior Staff Engineer Interview

Senior Staff Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in August 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter was very professional in her approach all through the process.

The biggest turn-off for me was the attitude of the hiring manager. He lacked the basic values, awareness and interpersonal skills needed to interact with experienced professionals, and failed to address important questions on the project and what the team is looking for.

Interview Question – OSGi vs SOA   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Staff Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Applied online for a position in Networking and Security BU...
Twice the phone interview was scheduled and the guy never showed up.
Very unprofessional attitude by this team. So I told them I'm not interested !!

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for VMFS engineering team. Recruiter contacted online. Scheduled onsite interview. Total 6 face to face interviews including 1 with engineer in Bangalore. Lost some time in setting video conferencing with engineer in Bangalore. Asked questions about filesystem work, whiteboard coding questions, algorithms, system programming. All interviewers were helpful. Used to take picture of whiteboard at the end of interview.

Interview Question – Design and implement recursive mutex   Answer Question