VMware Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I interviewed as a new college grad. I had a round of telephonic interview which discussed my current work and a simple linked list related programming question. Then they called me for the onsite interviews. It had 5 rounds of interviews. I also did a presentation on my work. The whole process took one full day. I had to wait for a couple of weeks before the offer was made.

Interview Questions

• The questions focused on standard algorithms and data structures: graph manipulation, linked lists. Two interviews were system design related (key value store, bottleneck detection). Finally, there was a lunch interview where I was asked distributed systems related questions (consistency models).   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First telephonic round: 1 hour technical.They will test you on DS,Algorithm,Java. Onsite round:4 interviews 45 min each back to back.Highly technical.Detailed but not very tough.I could answer most of them.Lot of whiteboard problem solving.You will be tested on data structure,algorithms,java,concurrency in java,projects on resume,design pattern and database.

Interview Questions

• Implement a queue using stack.   2 Answers
    • Rotate elements in an array to right k times.   3 Answers
    • Design Pattern:Singleton   Answer Question
    • Java questions:static keyword,OOPs concept,synchronization   Answer Question
    • Insert an element in a sorted circular linked list.   1 Answer

, Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First round interview with Hiring Manager. Standard questions like Interests, Projects worked on, discussion about job profile, inquiry about no. of permitted working hours. Second Round with Manager. Questions on Data structures and Algorithms , OOPS concepts and Networking concepts.

Interview Questions

• Describe switch in terms of Object Oriented Programming.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter contacted me to discuss about the job description and if I was interested in getting into the recruitment process. There was 1 technical phone interview followed by an Onsite Interview with 3 technical rounds and lunch. The entire process was quick from the time I received a call from the recruiter.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Recruiter called up sounding very enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions too like what is time complexity of binary search algorithm, what is mutex, what is polymorphism etc. Then he setup a phone interview with an engineer. The engineer spent nearly 30 mins discussing about my resume and a locking problem in multithreading environment. Then he asked me to write code using collabedit. I was not able to complete coding because the interviewer could not clarify in what form he expected the output to be returned from the function. I discussed my algorithm and different approaches that could be used. Why ask an interview question about which you yourself are not clear about the type of output you want. Anyways, never heard back from the recruiter about the feedback on the phone screen. Although I knew they would say "no" since I did not complete the coding, don't they have the courtesy to write a one liner email saying we will not be proceeding at this time. And to the interviewer, make sure at least you know what you really want out of the question. Be ready to give concrete answers for any clarifications to the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given: Binary tree and a target Sum Expected Result: All paths where sum of nodes along path is equal to target sum Assumption: Path starts at Root and ends at Leaf   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Initial phone interview. I knew this was just a phone screen. Since they bothered to call me, i guess they felt I was worth talking to. However, this phone screen was apparently very valuable to them instead of meeting in person or at least looking optimistically at an applicant's potential for learning on the job. IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH LEARNING A FEW THINGS ON THE JOB?

Interview Questions

• Disgusting phone interview. I didn't get further than that. Job was somewhat low-level and my resume and email clearly stated what I knew. Instead, the interviewer (and would-be manager) headed me off with questions well beyond that. I didn't mind, given that I can learn, but he apparently didn't think so - literally chuckling at me over the phone towards the end of the interview. He apparently couldn't understand that a guy can learn. Instead he treated the work as some unattainable black art, evidently NOT even wishing to see me in person. What, they don't have training materials at VMware? So judgemental and sickening. I was looking forward to working there too, but my hopes were completely dashed by this crummy behavior - of laughing at a job applicant. I wonder how many potentially good employees this company destroyed. A despicable job interview, probably meant to hire someone overseas or something.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

2 Phone Screens and 4 Onsite Interviews. 1st Phone Screen was conducted by a Senior Engineer. Interviewer explained the job role and the team's objective at VMware. I was asked about my previous experience and my graduate degree projects. 2nd Phone Screen was conducted by a MTS. Interviewer asked lot of Object Oriented Programming questions. I was also asked to solve some coding problems. Towards the end some database questions were asked. Onsite Interviews: First One was with the Manager. He explained my job responsibilities. Then, 3 Technical Interviews were conducted. They covered my Internship Project, Coding exercises, Databases and Operating System Concepts. Note to People applying for Interviews at VMware: Make sure to revise Object Oriented Programming Concepts and Operating Systems concepts before the interview. Coding exercises were very basic.

Interview Questions

• Object Oriented Programming Concepts: Inheritance, Final Keyword, Abstraction, etc   Answer Question
    • Basic Linux Commands   Answer Question
    • Linked List Questions: Detect loop in a linked list, Return second last element in the linked list, Find mid point of Linked List   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Bellevue, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

Coding challenge followed by telephonic screen and 5-6 full onsite interviews lasting for 45 mins to 1 hour. If you know you CS fundamentals and have some good coding experience you will crack it.

Interview Questions

• Signed NDA. Algorithms, problem solving and some system knowledge.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at VMware in January 2015.

Interview

I was first contacted by rescruiter on linkedIn. Had an initial phone converstion after which I was asked to do online test and then come onsite for the interview. There was in person interview with 5 rounds. There were few minutes break during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. Very easy data structure and algorithms. No system programming or operating system questions were asked. One design interview question was asked.   1 Answer

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Applied online. Entire process took 2 weeks. First recruiter call. She was very sweet and helpful. Took basic information she needed from me and gave me a brief job description. Looks like there is no proper communication between recruiter and the Team because the job requirements she gave me were different from what my first interviewer gave me. However I had such experiences before, so I was prepared. 1st phone interview was scheduled with in couple of days. 1st round was for about an hour. Questions on programming concepts, design patterns with examples, SQL, Linux and one problem solving question. Testing the depth of knowledge in each area. Recruiter got back to me with in one day to schedule an on-site interview. I asked her to schedule it after 3 days. Onsite was regular all day 6 rounds + recruiter. Nothing tough. I thought it went well. Was able to solve most of the programming questions in first 4 rounds (with some help from interviewers of-course as they want it to be solved in the way they know the answer) . However my 5th interviewer was particularly rude. He asked me about everything on my resume which happened 7 years ago and I forgot the details about a few concepts in my Master's course work. He was picking on me on what ever I speak. I understood that, it is their way of making candidate feel that he is not fit for this position. Questions he asked were not particularly tough but he was just mean and rude which was annoying. From my experience with this company, if any of the interviewer is rude towards then end of the interview then it is less likely that they will hire you. Recruiter got back to me in couple of days with negative response. Honestly, I felt 80%-20% chances till that 5th interview happened.

Interview Questions

• Questions on multiple node tree traversal and Graphs, SQL, Networking layer questions, JAVA problem solving using arrays and Hash   Answer Question