VMware

Average Difficulty
37 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at VMware in September 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews and a 1 day onsite interview. Onsite interview had 6 rounds of interviews including lunch + an interview with HR in the end.

C++, Java, algorithms, OS and networking concepts, distributed systems, writing code in each round of interview. Your previous projects.

Interview Question – If you have all the CS concepts covered you should not have much difficulty.   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in October 2011.

Interview Details – Was referred by a friend for this position. The manager called me first for a telephonic interview. The had done research in grad school which aligned with the requirements for this position. The manager asked few questions about my research and explained what they do and what they expect. Things went well and was called onsite in a week.

My first interview was with a staff engineer. He was really good, asked really interlligent questions and helped me when needed. It went really well. The second interviewer asked questions on my research and some on OS frundamentals. And then, I had to interview with an arrogant engineer after lunch. He dint know a damm about my research and or experience. The interviewer and me worked in the same city back in India a few years back, so he started asking about projects that company worked on (and not me). He was just too arrogant. I refused to answer questions after a point even though I thought i knew.

So expect for this one interview, others went fine. But as usually, the company never contacted me back. When I called the recruiter, he said the mgr and team was busy..

So to summarize, from what I have heard and experienced, vmware looks for ppl with specific expertise only. It is not a place u can learn new things, u just develop based on your existing knowledge.

Interview Questions

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at VMware in January 2012.

Interview Details – Not a super hard interview, but definitely not easy. I had 3 phone screens followed by 6 1-on-1 interviews onsite. Luckily, the recruiter I worked with was very helpful. Had a difficult time communicating with one interviewer(both on the phone and onsite), but in general everybody was extremely professional. As for the answers to the questions, they aren't as important as your approach to the problem. The interviewers generally tend to push you in the right direction if they think you are off track .
Questions mostly focussed on string manipulations, scalability, multithreading, design patterns, and data structures. Definitely brush up on the basic data structures.

Interview Question – multithreading   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate much as the initial offer was pretty good. If they think you're good, they will make a matching offer.

Palo Alto, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in January 2012.

Interview Details – Great hiring process! Interviewers were friendly and gave enough room to express my thoughts.

Interview Question – Explain my projects using the whiteboard.   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview Details – Got a phone call from hiring manager who used to work with me. Set up an full-day onsite interview which includes a Ph.D work presentation from me and 1:1 interview with 7 other people. These 6 people are: a recruiter (so quite easy for me), hiring manager (also not bad), four Staff/Sr. Staff engineers and a Sr. Director. A lot of technical questions were asked, ranging from programming (C, Java, C++) to software engineering. Not a super hard interview but definitely not easy. People who interviewed me seemed to be very nice.

Interview Question – Draw on whiteboard a box presenting a system, a few inputs and a few outputs. Possible two ways of implementing the box: one is to multithread per input, one is to multithread by functions/modules, and run fixed # of threads per function/module and process inputs in a pipeline fashion. Compare the pros and cons of these two implementations.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate a lot since the hiring manager worked with me before.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview consisted of simple algorithm test for finding permutations. Onsite interview was all day and had do 5, 45-minute interviews. Each of these was a relatively straightforward textbook algorithm question as well as more high-level conceptual questions about operating systems. It was definitely very useful to know some basic facts about trees, lists, graphs, and hash tables, but nothing additional particularly needed.

Interview Question – How would you store a sparse matrix?   View Answer

Cambridge, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in December 2009.

Interview Details – As a former intern, there was no strict interviewing process. As a result of my internship project and presentation, before I completed my internship, an engineering manager extended an offer for full time employment upon graduation. After expressing interest in that verbal offer, I was told that a recruiter would be in touch with a written offer once some paperwork was completed.

Interview Question – What role do you see yourself filling in the team?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my base salary (by ~5%), but not my benefits. As benefits are fixed across the organization based on seniority, there was no wiggle room there (other than a verbal "if you really want extra time off, you can just take off an extra week or two each year unpaid as long as you give me enough warning").

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Interview Details – 2 Phone interviews followed by 4 onsite interviews. Onsite interviewers were not so professional and some of them did not even had a clue how to conduct interview. It was more like a one way communication.

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in March 2008.

Interview Details – A recruited contacted me for a position with a specific team looking to fill a spot. Had a phone interview, then got flown to CA for a round of in person 1:1 interviews. Very algorithm based, problem solving, seeing if you understand how to code something. Very standard.

Interview Question – I don't remember exactly, but some standard low-level C/C++/Java questions. Maybe something about string manipulation, bit play, recursive algorithms, threads, networking, etc.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate. Compared their offer to another offer, with justification for the gap.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at VMware in April 2008.

Interview Details – It took 3 months to go from my first email to a VMware recruiter to getting an offer. I interviewed with three different teams. Seems like if they think you are good but don't have the amount of experience that the group you are interviewing with needs, then the recruiter tries to find you a different group within the company where your experience matches what the group needs. I really liked the recruiters that I worked with, although the last of the three that I spoke with was hard to get hold of sometimes.

VMware's process for interviewing developers with less than 2 or 3 years of experience was certainly better than at Google, whose process takes even longer, and where software developers don't interview to enter a specific team at Google, they just interview for Google. Unlike VMware, Google recruiters didn't seem to be able to know whether you were likely to get a job or not based on your interviews.

Interview Question – Write the solution to the single writer, multiple reader problem   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes. Although I was told by the recruiter that they probably couldn't give me more than $5K less than what I was asking, I explained to them why they should give what I wanted, I was cordial, I had a counteroffer (from a startup), and I based my salary request on what I knew about what my friends at the company make. In the end they gave me what I requested.

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware