VMware Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.3

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware.

Recruiter called up sounding very enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions too like what is time complexity of binary search algorithm, what is mutex, what is polymorphism etc. Then he setup a phone interview with an engineer.

The engineer spent nearly 30 mins discussing about my resume and a locking problem in multithreading environment. Then he asked me to write code using collabedit. I was not able to complete coding because the interviewer could not clarify in what form he expected the output to be returned from the function. I discussed my algorithm and different approaches that could be used.

Why ask an interview question about which you yourself are not clear about the type of output you want. Anyways, never heard back from the recruiter about the feedback on the phone screen. Although I knew they would say "no" since I did not complete the coding, don't they have the courtesy to write a one liner email saying we will not be proceeding at this time.

And to the interviewer, make sure at least you know what you really want out of the question. Be ready to give concrete answers for any clarifications to the candidate.

Interview Questions
    • Given: Binary tree and a target Sum
      Expected Result: All paths where sum of nodes along path is equal to target sum
      Assumption: Path starts at Root and ends at Leaf

Answer Question

Marketing Consultant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in February 2015.

I was contacted by a recruiter and had less than twenty four hours to get ready for the digital marketing division's request to interview. I quickly made arrangements and made the drive out from SF area. The interview was with three people. People were nice enough, though their were problems with the job put forth. The agency switched it with another job and once I arrived, I was told it was not a marketing job at all. There were apologies for the late notice to prep as well. There was nothing remarkable about the company, and it all seemed like such a mediocre experience. I couldn't tell who was telling the truth in regards to the last minute notice, as both parties blamed each other (not a good sign).

Interview Questions
    • Do you have any questions for us?   View Answer
    • Note: the interview with each person was for about 20 minutes. I interviewed with three total.   Answer Question

Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in January 2015.

Phone interview first HR recruiter and hiring manager, then after set up phone interviews (3) with senior member and asked to come down to HQ for f2f with senior leaderships (4)... All above process took 4 months.

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at VMware in October 2014.

VMWare has a very professional interview process. Their recruiters are top notch and will always keep you in the loop as to where you stand. They are also very friendly as well. With other companies sometimes you never hear back from anyone.

First there is an initial technical phone screen interview which lasts about 45 minutes or so.
    If you pass the phone interview they invite you onsite where you will be interviewing with at least three people. Each interviewer has one technical programming question which you are expected to code on a white board. This lasts around 45 minutes per interviewer. You may get a fourth interviewer added into the mix if they still don't have a good feel about you. (Most likely it's because you got 2 thumbs up and 1 thumb down) Be prepared to go back and study CS fundamentals because this is what they are looking for. stacks/hashtables/binary trees...etc as well as sorting algorithms such as mergesort/quicksort. If it's a "VMware hiring event" you have been invited to, you will encounter as little as three other candidates up to twenty who are interviewing at the same time. So don't be surprised with that.

Overall the experience was very positive.

Interview Questions
    • Given an array of integers write a function so that all the even numbers are on the left side of the array and all the odd numbers are on the right side of the array.   View Answer

Product Marketing and Product Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in August 2014.

I found that VMware is hand-cuffed by EMC. Periodic hiring freezes. In late July and August, I was contacted by four different VMware recruiters, based on internal referrals. Two were recruiting for corporate management roles. Two for product marketing and product management. Did phone screens and several hours of campus interviews. Two offers made. Then one VMware recruiter called back and asked to move a proposed August start date to October. I declined. Since September, three of four recruiters have left for VMware for start-ups (Docker, Puppet). At the center of delay is EMC. Hedge funds want to spin-off VMware and Pivotal Software. Now EMC is an acquisition target (HP, Cisco).

Interview Questions
    • Can VMware effectively partner with networking companies in some markets, and compete against them in other markets?   Answer Question

They asked to move my start date five weeks to October.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

The interview process process started with a recruiter and then a hiring manager interview. Both went well as as expected. Was asked to interview and they moved the timeframe forward by four days because they wanted to get me in and do a face to face. Once the four interviews were completed with one on the phone, the hiring manager asked me to speak with two others via phone and wanted to know when I could start.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was the fact that no one had explained the organizational structure, where they fit, and how what they did woudl intersect with the person playing this role.   View Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

Phone screen interview.
    On-site interview - 5 hours, engineers and managers.
    You can have follow up phone interviews after that as well.
    Interview with HR.
    HR is negotiating the offer.
    They are not in the rush, it's not recommended to take the first offer.
    Some folks had like a 6 months negotiation back and forth.

Interview Questions
    • Know your staff, there are many experienced folks,
      be prepared to talk about what you have on your resume.
      Coding questions standard for industry.

View Answer
    They are not in a rush, products are not treated as mission critical. You can negotiate over a couple of months, if you have time. Be patient. It's not recommended to negotiate on your own, it's better to come as a part of acquisition.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in June 2014.

First contact with recruiter to set up a phone interview. Went well. we connected each other. She recommended me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. I talked with a Sr Product Marketing Manager. Call lasted 30mns. I asked a lot of questions to see if I can fit in the organization. Three days later I received an email from recruiter that they were not selecting me for the next stage. Reason: not skill set wise.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Questions
    • In total 7 rounds.
      1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort
      2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces
      This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better.
      3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements
      4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order:
      s
      tr
      tri
      tring
      r.....
      5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!]
      6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures
      7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort
      Also random java questions in almost all the rounds..

Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...

Answer Question