VMware

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Senior Product Marketing Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in June 2014.

Interview Details – First contact with recruiter to set up a phone interview. Went well. we connected each other. She recommended me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. I talked with a Sr Product Marketing Manager. Call lasted 30mns. I asked a lot of questions to see if I can fit in the organization. Three days later I received an email from recruiter that they were not selecting me for the next stage. Reason: not skill set wise.

Interview Question – Introduce yourself. Past experiences.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Senior Program Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – The interview process process started with a recruiter and then a hiring manager interview. Both went well as as expected. Was asked to interview and they moved the timeframe forward by four days because they wanted to get me in and do a face to face. Once the four interviews were completed with one on the phone, the hiring manager asked me to speak with two others via phone and wanted to know when I could start.

Interview Question – The most difficult was the fact that no one had explained the organizational structure, where they fit, and how what they did woudl intersect with the person playing this role.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Interview Details – There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Question – How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Desktop Support Interview

Desktop Support
Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in August 2010.

Interview Details – 2 phone interviews / 1 in-person. It took a total of 2 months to get an offer. Technical questions and situational questions. Windows/Linux/Mac/ESX. "Say this happens...how would you go about fixing it?" "

Interview Question – Technical questions   Answer Question

Senior Manager R&D Interview

Senior Manager R&D
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details – The process was clearly explained from the start. Phone interviews with HR and senior tech lead followed by 2 rounds of interview. The team was clearly outlined and I any questions or concerns were promptly addressed.

Interview Question – My technical and negotiaton skills were extensively explored.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated the title but not the package. I'd requested that any package offer be competitive as I was not keen on negotiating.

FP&A Intern (MBA) Interview

FP&A Intern (MBA)
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details – Two rounds of interview after initial HR screening. First round was with hiring manager. A simple case and behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. It was more to check my interest in the firm and the business. The hiring manager was really nice and he helped me understand the role and expectations.
Second round was more a conversation.

Interview Question – Why tech sector when you don't have any prior experience and what do you understand about business and services that VMware provide.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Staff Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Phone screen interview.
On-site interview - 5 hours, engineers and managers.
You can have follow up phone interviews after that as well.
Interview with HR.
HR is negotiating the offer.
They are not in the rush, it's not recommended to take the first offer.
Some folks had like a 6 months negotiation back and forth.

Interview Question – Know your staff, there are many experienced folks,
be prepared to talk about what you have on your resume.
Coding questions standard for industry.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – They are not in a rush, products are not treated as mission critical. You can negotiate over a couple of months, if you have time. Be patient. It's not recommended to negotiate on your own, it's better to come as a part of acquisition.

Partner Program Manager Interview

Partner Program Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in January 2010.

Interview Details – Great informal interview with 3 program managers. Basically asked about experience and to provide examples of work.

Interview Question – What inspires you to get up in the morning?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not very negotiable

Very Difficult Interview

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Interview Details – applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Question – In total 7 rounds.
1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort
2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces
This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better.
3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements
4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order:
s
tr
tri
tring
r.....
5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!]
6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures
7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort
Also random java questions in almost all the rounds..

Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...
  Answer Question

Candidate Development Recruiter Interview

Candidate Development Recruiter
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in April 2011.

Interview Details – The hiring process was smooth as I came through acquisition of a start-up, grade leveling was appropriate for the role I was hired at.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very friendly and easy

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!