VMware Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.3

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Recruiter called up sounding very enthusiastic about the company. He asked me some technical questions too like what is time complexity of binary search algorithm, what is mutex, what is polymorphism etc. Then he setup a phone interview with an engineer.

The engineer spent nearly 30 mins discussing about my resume and a locking problem in multithreading environment. Then he asked me to write code using collabedit. I was not able to complete coding because the interviewer could not clarify in what form he expected the output to be returned from the function. I discussed my algorithm and different approaches that could be used.

Why ask an interview question about which you yourself are not clear about the type of output you want. Anyways, never heard back from the recruiter about the feedback on the phone screen. Although I knew they would say "no" since I did not complete the coding, don't they have the courtesy to write a one liner email saying we will not be proceeding at this time.

And to the interviewer, make sure at least you know what you really want out of the question. Be ready to give concrete answers for any clarifications to the candidate.

Interview Questions

• Given: Binary tree and a target Sum
      Expected Result: All paths where sum of nodes along path is equal to target sum
      Assumption: Path starts at Root and ends at Leaf

Answer Question

Lead Business Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Telephonic interview followed by half day personal interviews within a week or 2.
    Interview depends on individuals who take the interview . Some are nice , some are arrogant , some are condescending, some are confused and some want to confuse you.

Interview Questions

• If 1 = 2 what would you do kind of questions   1 Answer
    • Pure technical one   1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Interviewed for a Windows Developer Position. Had a phone screen on basic windows kernel calls and driver development . Onsite interview went over projects I worked on and Windows Kernel mode and user mode concepts .

Interview Questions

• Write code to draw a circle.   1 Answer

Technical Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

The recruitment process was simple and painless. The recruitment team kept me well-informed of each step of the process. I was impressed by how well-acquainted the recruiter was with the business unit that I eventually joined.

Every experience may be different, but I had the initial phone screener, then a discussion with multiple groups that I would be interacting with (i.e. Engineering, Product Management, Marketing), and eventually my hiring manager.

Marketing Consultant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and had less than twenty four hours to get ready for the digital marketing division's request to interview. I quickly made arrangements and made the drive out from SF area. The interview was with three people. People were nice enough, though their were problems with the job put forth. The agency switched it with another job and once I arrived, I was told it was not a marketing job at all. There were apologies for the late notice to prep as well. There was nothing remarkable about the company, and it all seemed like such a mediocre experience. I couldn't tell who was telling the truth in regards to the last minute notice, as both parties blamed each other (not a good sign).

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions for us?   1 Answer
    • Note: the interview with each person was for about 20 minutes. I interviewed with three total.   Answer Question

Director Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview first HR recruiter and hiring manager, then after set up phone interviews (3) with senior member and asked to come down to HQ for f2f with senior leaderships (4)... All above process took 4 months.

Technical Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Seamless. Everyone I talked with was amazing and really smart. It was very well done. the first interview was with an internal recruiter, then I talked with a couple of what I later found out were soon to be peers, of course i ended the process with my direct report and her manager. It was not easy by any means but well done and I was updated as the process moved into an offer. The offer was awesome.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal what kind of animal would you be?   1 Answer

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

VMWare has a very professional interview process. Their recruiters are top notch and will always keep you in the loop as to where you stand. They are also very friendly as well. With other companies sometimes you never hear back from anyone.

First there is an initial technical phone screen interview which lasts about 45 minutes or so.
    If you pass the phone interview they invite you onsite where you will be interviewing with at least three people. Each interviewer has one technical programming question which you are expected to code on a white board. This lasts around 45 minutes per interviewer. You may get a fourth interviewer added into the mix if they still don't have a good feel about you. (Most likely it's because you got 2 thumbs up and 1 thumb down) Be prepared to go back and study CS fundamentals because this is what they are looking for. stacks/hashtables/binary trees...etc as well as sorting algorithms such as mergesort/quicksort. If it's a "VMware hiring event" you have been invited to, you will encounter as little as three other candidates up to twenty who are interviewing at the same time. So don't be surprised with that.

Overall the experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers write a function so that all the even numbers are on the left side of the array and all the odd numbers are on the right side of the array.   1 Answer

Product Marketing and Product Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I found that VMware is hand-cuffed by EMC. Periodic hiring freezes. In late July and August, I was contacted by four different VMware recruiters, based on internal referrals. Two were recruiting for corporate management roles. Two for product marketing and product management. Did phone screens and several hours of campus interviews. Two offers made. Then one VMware recruiter called back and asked to move a proposed August start date to October. I declined. Since September, three of four recruiters have left for VMware for start-ups (Docker, Puppet). At the center of delay is EMC. Hedge funds want to spin-off VMware and Pivotal Software. Now EMC is an acquisition target (HP, Cisco).

Interview Questions

• Can VMware effectively partner with networking companies in some markets, and compete against them in other markets?   Answer Question

They asked to move my start date five weeks to October.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The interview process process started with a recruiter and then a hiring manager interview. Both went well as as expected. Was asked to interview and they moved the timeframe forward by four days because they wanted to get me in and do a face to face. Once the four interviews were completed with one on the phone, the hiring manager asked me to speak with two others via phone and wanted to know when I could start.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult was the fact that no one had explained the organizational structure, where they fit, and how what they did woudl intersect with the person playing this role.   1 Answer