VMware

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at VMware in September 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication with HR who asked why do you want to join VmWare & what do you know about the products etc. Followed by phone screen which turned out to be coding round.
F2F was 9 rounds including 1 with HR. All 8 were coding rounds on white board & included mostly data structures. However, 4 rounds were pretty similar.

Interview Question – Write the implementation for LRUMap.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview Details – Reached out to a recruiter on LinkedIn. After initial phone screen was asked to speak to the Hiring Manager.

Hiring manager phone went really well we covered the role, product, expectations, my experience and products that I like.
Next I was asked to speak to a Project Manager that managed the engineering team - the interviewer was down to earth; explained nuances of the role and overall a great experience.

I was invited for an onsite interview - while they were scheduling the interview - I got another offer and hence they scrambled to schedule the interview one week before they would have ideally liked to.

Onsite interview was excellently scheduled with 3 1:1's with 3 pairs of interviewers:
1. Lunch interview hiring manager - he asked me about questions that I would like to be answered over the course of interviews.
2. Interview with Project Manager that I had spoken to before - in person he was a gem of an interviewer.
3. First group Interview with Director and a Sr. Product Marketing Manager - they had some real life practical and theoretical product management questions. All in all I thought the interview went really well.
4. Group Interview with pair of engineers - productive conversation
5. Group interview with second pair of engineers - different conversation but pleasant nevertheless
6. Interview with another Sr. Director that was previously involved in the product. It was a brief 10 minute interview
7. Finally the Hiring manager came back again and I had 15 minute conversation including my feedback - anything that I wish knew before I interviewed for the role.

The recruiter had promised that I will get the feedback the next day. As in cue, the recruiter told me that the interview panel really liked me and I had great PM experience but at thsi time they would pass on me as they are looking to hire someone more senior.

Interview Question – Would you be able to present in front of 1000 people?
Let's say the engineering team comes to you saying they could release only 4 out of 5 must have features planned for the release? Would yous till go with the release?
  Answer Question

Director Strategic Alliances Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at VMware in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had a preliminary interview and then came back for a full day of interviews. After that they had a long list of people that they wanted to talk to after that. My wait was from Oct to April to start the job. So long story short, it takes a hell of a long time to get hired at this company.

Interview Question – Nothing crazy, they did quiz me a little bit about products but overall I think they are good.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Easy

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Senior Member of Technical Staff
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – vmware recruiters are probably some of the worst. They can be disrespectful and rude, just be prepared for that.

The phone screens were pretty typical as was the onsite. There is a big deal of focus on multithreading and data structures/algorithms. But if you are well prepared for interviews in the valley, you will notice that vmware interviews are easier than other more desired companies like google, facebook, linked in and box.

Interview Question – Nothing was unexpected. Typical tree algorithms with focus on multithreading.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Of all the offers at hand, vmware had the worst recruiting experience. They have faced a lot of attrition from senior engineers and recent-quits from vmware warned me against joining vmware. There code base is pretty bad at this point and that with the lack of good talent could mean a really tough experience once you join.

Very Easy Interview

Revenue Analyst Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – An initial phone screen with a recruiter. Resume is then sent to hiring manager for review. Second phone interview with a revenue manager. Finally, a in person interview (make sure to ask what building as my coordinator did not give me the correct building number..). Team is very nice, but for the Palo Alto location they will only hire individuals of asian and caucasian descent, regardless of your qualifications.

Interview Question – Do you think you can handle this position?   View Answer

Legal Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 5 months - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – My first contact was with Luann Walsh. Luann is the best recruiter I have ever encountered. She was thorough, honest and responsive throughout the interview process. During our first meeting she primarily gathered information from me: my current role, the structure of the team, my interests and goals. She informed me that she would get back to me in two days to let me know if I would be a good fit; she called me back within two days. I went for an initial interview with the hiring manager shortly thereafter and we hit it off. After the interview with the hiring manager I met with Luann and she explained that the company was still trying to decide the right level of person for the position, but that I was a strong candidate. Shortly thereafter she reached out to me and informed me that the company was going to hold off on hiring for the position, but she would let me know if/when things changed. Several months later I received a call from Luann asking if I was still interested in the position. Within 2 weeks I had six interviews set up with various people in the legal department, including the General Counsel. Everyone I met with was fabulous: high energy, excited about what they do, honest about the pros and cons (I have been working at the company for a month now and all my impressions from the interview process hold true). After the interview Luann maintained regular contact with me, letting me know the status every step of the way. I always felt fully informed and that everyone truly cared about my feelings throughout the process. One notable experience was that when I sent thank you notes to everyone I interviewed with I received several responses to my thank you notes, including from the General Counsel. Those special touches go a long way to making a great experience.

Interview Question – I cannot think of anything specific that I was asked during the interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As an attorney, I tried to negotiate everything: base salary, stock, sign-on bonus...There was some movement in the sign-on bonus. The package they offered was great and I am very happy with the outcome.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in May 2012.

Interview Details – After 14 interviews over 2 months with team members, management, adjacent management, 2 recruiters they finally felt comfortable in having me join them. The process was unpredictable and felt like a roller-coaster ride based on the feeling you had from each interview. Next steps was kind of joke as there was always someone else you had to talk to.

Interview Question – How will you hit the ground running?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no room for negotiation. They offered and you honored or it was over. I tried but to no avail.

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Build and Release Engineer Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in May 2010.

Interview Details – Phone screens followed by two on-site visits, one in San Francisco and one in Palo Alto. Some interviews were relatively easy for me and in my area of expertise. The developers' programming challenges were quite difficult but not ridiculous- probably a bit more depth than was necessary for the job. The last two interviews were unnecessary and irrelevant.

I was surprised I didn't get a job offer, as I had highly relevant and rare skills they were looking for (deep rpmbuild expertise). Not surprisingly, they didn't fill the position and then called me back almost a year later, telling me they'd been unable to find anybody with my skill set. I told them I'd already interviewed. I probably wouldn't interview here again.

Interview Question – I was interviewing for a build and release position, and after answering many relevant scripting and SCM questions, an interviewer who ran out of things to ask asked me to in detail describe, the process for a c write() command making it to disc. I was asked to describe all of the buffering, system calls, etc.   View Answer

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Product Marketing Manager

Interviewed at VMware

Interview Details – HR screen. Was told I would receive a call from hiring mgr. Silence. HR screen repeated some months later for what seemed to be the same job, but was actually a different role. Progress to full day on site with HR, hiring mgr, 3 other "stakeholders" from related departments. HR was 45 minutes late to kick off that in person all day process.

Interview Question – no difficult questions per se. focus on past histroy, successess   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Sales Operations Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in March 2009.

Interview Details – Started as a contractor. Initial interview was with person to be working for as well as first level manager. Worked with several area in Sales/Partner Operations group before getting hired by one group. Took a little while to get job description created in order to get hired as a full time employee but once job description was created was hired as a VMware employee.

Interview Question – Nothing really unexpected or difficult. Probably was hired as a contractor to do admin tasks.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't much negotiation since I started as a contractor. It was a good experience to start as a contractor then move into a full time employee.

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware