VMware Interview Questions in Palo Alto, CA

Updated Jul 5, 2015

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions

• How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

QA Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Seems standard but tough, initially there was an option of either a phone screen or an online hackerrank test, once you get past that on-site interviews. A good solid preparation of computer science fundaments, data structures and algorithms is necessary.
    Being local there was no issue of arranging travel/hotel etc. probably will get re-reimbursed for travel ling 10 miles (heh).

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Questions

• In total 7 rounds.
      1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort
      2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces
      This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better.
      3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements
      4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order:
      s
      tr
      tri
      tring
      r.....
      5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!]
      6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures
      7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort
      Also random java questions in almost all the rounds..

Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...

Answer Question

FP&A Intern (MBA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interview after initial HR screening. First round was with hiring manager. A simple case and behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. It was more to check my interest in the firm and the business. The hiring manager was really nice and he helped me understand the role and expectations.
    Second round was more a conversation.

Interview Questions

• Why tech sector when you don't have any prior experience and what do you understand about business and services that VMware provide.   Answer Question

Senior Manager R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The process was clearly explained from the start. Phone interviews with HR and senior tech lead followed by 2 rounds of interview. The team was clearly outlined and I any questions or concerns were promptly addressed.

Interview Questions

• My technical and negotiaton skills were extensively explored.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated the title but not the package. I'd requested that any package offer be competitive as I was not keen on negotiating.

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Did two 45min phone calls with hiring manager and another senior member in the team on phone and then invited for onsite interviews. 1:1 with 8 different members of the team from 10:00AM to 4:45PM. Two days later recruiter pings me and asks if i would be interested for another set of interviews and they find me a better fit for a different role. I politely said no.

Many reasons.
    1. Scheduling ugh.. what a mess!
    So i flew in a day before interviews, with flight delay and commute i reached hotel by 11:20pm local time. I was offered only one night stay and same night return the day of interviews(this return flight was nearly a red-eye flight). When i asked for a better flight options - i was told "this is the only economical option for vmware and they cant help change it". So instead of flying same day, i was offered return two days later. So for rest of the two days i was paying for my own accommodation and car. Its almost ridiculous that such a big company cheaps out a simple car rental, they booked a compact, not even standard - i ended up in a Kia Rio. Well it was a short 18hr rental, so i didnt complain much. But this was indeed a big turn off for even before i met the team.
    2. Overall neutral experience with interviews, except two jerks on the team and i couldnt help stand them anymore. I didnt get to meet Hiring Manager because he's on leave and there's not even a headsup.
    3. End of the interviews, i still wasnt sure what level the role was whether an IC3 or IC4
    4. I had a better offer elsewhere.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

One interview with HR staffer to determine fit, followed by phone interview with hiring manager. Phone interview was challenging - very focused on SDLC knowledge and experience. Third interview was follow-up in person with member of development team - mostly just a conversation and follow-up questions from my internship. Really nice guy.

QE Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Talked to the recruiter at a career fair in November got a call in Mid Feb asking for a 45 minute technical interview.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were based on Java as the intern position was a requirement fr an excellent core java developer. The toughest question was I was asked if I ever used a "load controller" in Java. I had no clue as to what it was.   Answer Question
    • Can you explain how synchronization function works in Java. He asked me about how JVM implements synchronization between 2 threads. As a follow up question asked what is lock in java.   Answer Question
    • My resume had a web development project. He asked me how can I make sure that in an online poll, a particular user can vote only once and not more than once.   Answer Question
    • what are the dis advantages of inheritance in Java.   Answer Question
    • Given an unsorted array of elements say a[] = {1,4,3,6,10} and a number say 7 print the pair of elements that add up to the number n this case I need to print {4,3}. Most efficient way of implementing this.   Answer Question

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

My circumstances extended the process as well as the time of year. However the process was smooth overall. Many of the interviewers remained on-topic and wanted to ensure that the position was being fulfilled. Beyond that, they were interested in other interests to see where I may want to go within the company.

Interview Questions

Offer was competitive however I was looking forward to a better base salary. not a match with better compensation in other categories.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a VMWare recruiter via Linkedin. After the initial phone conversation with the recruiter, my details were put into their recruiting database. Within a week I was contacted by 5 different recruiters looking for front end web developers for their respective VMware teams.

I picked one of the teams and had a phone call with the recruiter. After talking to the recruiter about my background and interests and confirming my interest in his team, a technical phone screen was scheduled.

During the technical phone screen, I was asked questions about my background, and then a few coding questions and UI design questions. The interviewer was satisfied, so I was then schedule for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was an all-day affair, starting at 9am and ending at 4:30pm. I talked to 5 engineers and 3 managers. The engineers asked coding questions (design and code a Tic-Tac-Toe game, implement a LRU cache), algorithm questions (various ways to efficiently scan logfiles), and web UI questions (how to present data for different scenarios).

After the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me with an offer at the Staff Engineer level, salary, signing bonus, yearly target bonus, and RSUs.

Interview Questions

• Implement a LRU cache that can be initialized with a max size (in bytes) and keeps track of the hits/misses.   Answer Question

The group wasn't the right match for what I was looking for. I was looking for a group with more Web UI expertise, but this team was comprised of people who were systems and backend oriented.