VMware

3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Palo Alto, CA

Interviewed at VMware

Interview Details – HR screen. Was told I would receive a call from hiring mgr. Silence. HR screen repeated some months later for what seemed to be the same job, but was actually a different role. Progress to full day on site with HR, hiring mgr, 3 other "stakeholders" from related departments. HR was 45 minutes late to kick off that in person all day process.

Interview Question – no difficult questions per se. focus on past histroy, successess   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at VMware in February 2010.

Interview Details – I was brought in for 5 1:1 interviews, each taking just shy of 1 hour. One of the interview was a lunch interview, so we grabbed lunch from the dinning room and went to an office to talk and eat. This wasn't a lunch casual chat like you'd have at a Google interview. All interviews were a repetition of one another. The were all a mix of personal-marketing-product management questions e.g. "Tell me about a time you...". Nothing really out of the ordinary or too difficult. The interviews were all discussion-like and interesting. We were talking about real current issues they were facing. The people I spoke to were interesting and seemed like the kind if people I'd like to work with. Professional and like what they do. The environment feels like it's lacking the "fun element" that I would expect from a company this size.

The hiring manager is the last person I spoke with and he seemed a little tired. He had already interviewed me on the phone so the 1:1 was more about my perceptions about the issues they are dealing with and the position.

I never heard back from them. That would be my only criticism and warning. I had to find out through a friend 5 months later that they have moved on with another candidate. I have not received any. communication. This is highly unprofessional and if this is how they treat candidates, they have something to learn about PR. Also make you think how do they treat their employees.

They did not reimburse any travel expenses.

Interview Question – Who are our competitors?   View Answers (4)

Product Marketing Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in March 2011.

Interview Details – Initial phone screening with hiring manager was pretty normal (background, etc). Interview with three different people included brand teasers and technical questions. They definitely seemed interested someone with a very technical background even though it was a marketing position.

Interview Question – How many hamburgers are consumed in New York City during the course of a year?   View Answer

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!