VMware

Detailed and structured interview process with at least 3 people

Smooth and accomodating

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in May 2012.

After 14 interviews over 2 months with team members, management, adjacent management, 2 recruiters they finally felt comfortable in having me join them. The process was unpredictable and felt like a roller-coaster ride based on the feeling you had from each interview. Next steps was kind of joke as there was always someone else you had to talk to.

Interview Questions
    There was no room for negotiation. They offered and you honored or it was over. I tried but to no avail.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in May 2012.

14 people needed to talk with me before a decision could be made to hire me. The process took nearly 3 months. Painful as you don't know where you stand until you get the offer. The people conducting the interviews were team members that I eventually became good friends with but what a journey.

Interview Questions
    They offered and there was no room for negotiation. I tried to see what was possible by pushing the envelope but they were firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in August 2011.

Recruiter initially contacted me via LinkedIn. After I replied stating I wanted to discuss the position, a job description was emailed to me and the recruiter set up a phone interview for the following week. Interview was standard and went well. Recruiter said my information was being passed to the hiring manager who would contact me. Two weeks later I received an email from the recruiter saying they decided to consider "other candidates who were a better match". I give them points for at least following up to let me know.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a specifc cross-functional project team project you led and the organizatons involved.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in June 2013.

I had forwarded my resume via an employee referral.
    1) Almost 2-3 weeks after sending over my resume, I received the first call. It was a telephonic screening done by a recruiter from the HR department.
    2) A week after that I had a tele interview by my hiring manager who was based out of the US. She asked me generic stuff about my current profile and PM processes I follow. Because of the similarity in my current profile with their requirements, she sounded confident of my candidature.
    3) A week later I had another tele interview round by my hiring manager's manager i.e. a US based Director. He seemed to be a pretty smart guy and asked me situation based questions like "what would you do if I gave you a day to prepare a status presentation for a project which you know nothing about" etc..
    4) A couple of days later, I was asked to appear in another tele interview. The Bangalore based local Director(an NIT + IIM-L grad) interviewed me and asked me about my interest areas, career goals etc..

A week after all of the above, I was asked to come down to their Bangalore office since most of their US based guys had flown down here for that whole week. Here's what happened in the F2F interviews which followed:
    5) Met up with the US hiring manager. She was brimming with enthusiasm and appeared to be a very smart lady. She kept on showing me samples of work that I'm expected to do(status presentations etc.). We had a detailed chat about PM processes in VMware and at my current job.
    6) Met up another US based Director(of Indian origin). An IIT-KGP + IIM-A combo, he seemed to be a very sharp intellect. Asked me many tangential questions such as "why don't you aspire to be a Solution Manager instead of being a pure-play a Project Manager" etc..
    7) Met up with the local Director(#4) again. This time he spoke to me for almost 30 min re: the work environment and what I should expect at VMware Bangalore.

The whole process lasted 2 months starting from forwarding my resume to receiving the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why don't you aspire to be a Solution Manager instead of being a pure-play a Project Manager?   View Answer
    I was offered an astronomical "Total Earning Opportunity per year" figure. Much of that was filled with cash variables, insurance premium and stock units. I declined the initial figure offered to me so they bumped it up by another Rs. 50k per year. Overall didn't give me much scope to negotiate and I had to unwillingly accept the offer.