VMware

3.3

128 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Product Marketing and Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in August 2014.

I found that VMware is hand-cuffed by EMC. Periodic hiring freezes. In late July and August, I was contacted by four different VMware recruiters, based on internal referrals. Two were recruiting for corporate management roles. Two for product marketing and product management. Did phone screens and several hours of campus interviews. Two offers made. Then one VMware recruiter called back and asked to move a proposed August start date to October. I declined. Since September, three of four recruiters have left for VMware for start-ups (Docker, Puppet). At the center of delay is EMC. Hedge funds want to spin-off VMware and Pivotal Software. Now EMC is an acquisition target (HP, Cisco).

Interview Questions
    • Can VMware effectively partner with networking companies in some markets, and compete against them in other markets?   Answer Question

They asked to move my start date five weeks to October.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware.

The interview process process started with a recruiter and then a hiring manager interview. Both went well as as expected. Was asked to interview and they moved the timeframe forward by four days because they wanted to get me in and do a face to face. Once the four interviews were completed with one on the phone, the hiring manager asked me to speak with two others via phone and wanted to know when I could start.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was the fact that no one had explained the organizational structure, where they fit, and how what they did woudl intersect with the person playing this role.   View Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

Phone screen interview.
    On-site interview - 5 hours, engineers and managers.
    You can have follow up phone interviews after that as well.
    Interview with HR.
    HR is negotiating the offer.
    They are not in the rush, it's not recommended to take the first offer.
    Some folks had like a 6 months negotiation back and forth.

Interview Questions
    • Know your staff, there are many experienced folks,
      be prepared to talk about what you have on your resume.
      Coding questions standard for industry.

View Answer
    They are not in a rush, products are not treated as mission critical. You can negotiate over a couple of months, if you have time. Be patient. It's not recommended to negotiate on your own, it's better to come as a part of acquisition.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in June 2014.

First contact with recruiter to set up a phone interview. Went well. we connected each other. She recommended me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. I talked with a Sr Product Marketing Manager. Call lasted 30mns. I asked a lot of questions to see if I can fit in the organization. Three days later I received an email from recruiter that they were not selecting me for the next stage. Reason: not skill set wise.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

applied to internal reference, process took 4-6 weeks

Interview Questions
    • In total 7 rounds.
      1st interview Telephonic- Gave a code to find out bugs and suggest improvements, Binary sort
      2nd telephonic round - merging two linked lists in sorted order without using extra spaces
      This was followed by final call on skype which had 5 rounds in a day, This is tricky since if they have anyy doubt on any part, since its a skype interview its not in the favor of the candidate, if that had been onsite, it could've been better.
      3rd skype- out of n elements which can be unsorted with duplicates, output the indices of the three highest valued elements
      4th- Binary tree question- given a node, how to find the height + print a given string (string) in the order:
      s
      tr
      tri
      tring
      r.....
      5th- print the permutations of a given string + T9 implementation [I actually solved both in the 1 hr of interview round!]
      6th- given a string - tuTutuuti, print it as output: t3u4T1i1 in O(n) time without using any extra spaces and maps/etc other data structures
      7th - find the height of the tree recursively + merge sort
      Also random java questions in almost all the rounds..

Interview did went well except for 6th round which was taken by a female who was asking questions on how can u do this and how can you do that in the coding question which was coming out in a rude tone making it sound more like how dare you do this and that, so I figured out why I was rejected...

Answer Question

FP&A Intern (MBA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Two rounds of interview after initial HR screening. First round was with hiring manager. A simple case and behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. It was more to check my interest in the firm and the business. The hiring manager was really nice and he helped me understand the role and expectations.
    Second round was more a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Why tech sector when you don't have any prior experience and what do you understand about business and services that VMware provide.   Answer Question

Senior Manager R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in April 2014.

The process was clearly explained from the start. Phone interviews with HR and senior tech lead followed by 2 rounds of interview. The team was clearly outlined and I any questions or concerns were promptly addressed.

Interview Questions
    • My technical and negotiaton skills were extensively explored.   Answer Question
    I negotiated the title but not the package. I'd requested that any package offer be competitive as I was not keen on negotiating.

Director, Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in March 2014.

I applied to the role via an employee referral within the same team but from a different region (the job was US based). It took about 3 weeks to hear back from a recruiter. She had apparently told the person who referred me that she had tried to contact me but I had not responded. I have no record of contact.

The recruiter scheduled a initial phone screen with me but then did not call on the agreed day and time, after waiting 30 mins I sent an email to her asking if she needed to reschedule. She immediately responded with an apology that her previous meeting had run over and rescheduled the call for later in the week. The second time around she called about 20 mins later than scheduled.

The pre-screen was fairly standard in process asking about my background and highlighted achievements in this space. She was not able to answer many of my questions around the team I'd be leading or current pain points in the program. That seemed fairly surprising since the role was in HR/Recruiting. The recruiter seemed impressed with my background and told me she would be recommending me to the hiring manager to move along to the next stage. At that time I told them I was also interviewing with two other companies for similar roles but would be excited to go to the next step with VMWare.

One month later I received an email from the recruiter saying she was sorry for the delay but the hiring manager had been traveling and she had not connected with him until today, and he had decided to hire another candidate.

Personally I would expect a more engaged and dynamic process from a tech company especially when dealing with a employee referral. You can learn a lot about a company's actions vs the wording of their expensive branding.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say any of the question's were difficult but I did find explaining the cultural nuances required in managing a global program, the recruiter seemed more focused on the US specific initiatives.   View Answer

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Did two 45min phone calls with hiring manager and another senior member in the team on phone and then invited for onsite interviews. 1:1 with 8 different members of the team from 10:00AM to 4:45PM. Two days later recruiter pings me and asks if i would be interested for another set of interviews and they find me a better fit for a different role. I politely said no.

Many reasons.
    1. Scheduling ugh.. what a mess!
    So i flew in a day before interviews, with flight delay and commute i reached hotel by 11:20pm local time. I was offered only one night stay and same night return the day of interviews(this return flight was nearly a red-eye flight). When i asked for a better flight options - i was told "this is the only economical option for vmware and they cant help change it". So instead of flying same day, i was offered return two days later. So for rest of the two days i was paying for my own accommodation and car. Its almost ridiculous that such a big company cheaps out a simple car rental, they booked a compact, not even standard - i ended up in a Kia Rio. Well it was a short 18hr rental, so i didnt complain much. But this was indeed a big turn off for even before i met the team.
    2. Overall neutral experience with interviews, except two jerks on the team and i couldnt help stand them anymore. I didnt get to meet Hiring Manager because he's on leave and there's not even a headsup.
    3. End of the interviews, i still wasnt sure what level the role was whether an IC3 or IC4
    4. I had a better offer elsewhere.