VMware Interview Questions in San Jose, CA

3.3

126 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2010.

Two Phone interviews followed by detailed technical interview in person. The interview was typical of top technical companies. Unlike google or facebook who dwell only on CS fundamentals, here they also go in depth on domain knowledge. Some focused primarily on coding questions. Many interviews were focused on what I have done and if I could provide details of my current work and broader picture of technologies used.

Interview Questions
    • Details about exactly how storage systems worked at protocol level
      Many coding questions and solve problems on paper/board
        View Answer
    Back in those days I could negotiate some RSUs

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at VMware in June 2014.

First contact with recruiter to set up a phone interview. Went well. we connected each other. She recommended me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. I talked with a Sr Product Marketing Manager. Call lasted 30mns. I asked a lot of questions to see if I can fit in the organization. Three days later I received an email from recruiter that they were not selecting me for the next stage. Reason: not skill set wise.

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware.

The interview process process started with a recruiter and then a hiring manager interview. Both went well as as expected. Was asked to interview and they moved the timeframe forward by four days because they wanted to get me in and do a face to face. Once the four interviews were completed with one on the phone, the hiring manager asked me to speak with two others via phone and wanted to know when I could start.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult was the fact that no one had explained the organizational structure, where they fit, and how what they did woudl intersect with the person playing this role.   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Desktop Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in August 2010.

2 phone interviews / 1 in-person. It took a total of 2 months to get an offer. Technical questions and situational questions. Windows/Linux/Mac/ESX. "Say this happens...how would you go about fixing it?" "

Senior Manager R&D Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

The process was clearly explained from the start. Phone interviews with HR and senior tech lead followed by 2 rounds of interview. The team was clearly outlined and I any questions or concerns were promptly addressed.

Interview Questions
    • My technical and negotiaton skills were extensively explored.   Answer Question
    I negotiated the title but not the package. I'd requested that any package offer be competitive as I was not keen on negotiating.

FP&A Intern (MBA) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in April 2014.

Two rounds of interview after initial HR screening. First round was with hiring manager. A simple case and behavioral questions. Nothing unexpected. It was more to check my interest in the firm and the business. The hiring manager was really nice and he helped me understand the role and expectations.
    Second round was more a conversation.

Interview Questions
    • Why tech sector when you don't have any prior experience and what do you understand about business and services that VMware provide.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware.

Phone screen interview.
    On-site interview - 5 hours, engineers and managers.
    You can have follow up phone interviews after that as well.
    Interview with HR.
    HR is negotiating the offer.
    They are not in the rush, it's not recommended to take the first offer.
    Some folks had like a 6 months negotiation back and forth.

Interview Questions
    • Know your staff, there are many experienced folks,
      be prepared to talk about what you have on your resume.
      Coding questions standard for industry.
        View Answer
    They are not in a rush, products are not treated as mission critical. You can negotiate over a couple of months, if you have time. Be patient. It's not recommended to negotiate on your own, it's better to come as a part of acquisition.

Partner Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at VMware in January 2010.

Great informal interview with 3 program managers. Basically asked about experience and to provide examples of work.

Not very negotiable

Director, Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mountain View, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

I applied to the role via an employee referral within the same team but from a different region (the job was US based). It took about 3 weeks to hear back from a recruiter. She had apparently told the person who referred me that she had tried to contact me but I had not responded. I have no record of contact.

The recruiter scheduled a initial phone screen with me but then did not call on the agreed day and time, after waiting 30 mins I sent an email to her asking if she needed to reschedule. She immediately responded with an apology that her previous meeting had run over and rescheduled the call for later in the week. The second time around she called about 20 mins later than scheduled.

The pre-screen was fairly standard in process asking about my background and highlighted achievements in this space. She was not able to answer many of my questions around the team I'd be leading or current pain points in the program. That seemed fairly surprising since the role was in HR/Recruiting. The recruiter seemed impressed with my background and told me she would be recommending me to the hiring manager to move along to the next stage. At that time I told them I was also interviewing with two other companies for similar roles but would be excited to go to the next step with VMWare.

One month later I received an email from the recruiter saying she was sorry for the delay but the hiring manager had been traveling and she had not connected with him until today, and he had decided to hire another candidate.

Personally I would expect a more engaged and dynamic process from a tech company especially when dealing with a employee referral. You can learn a lot about a company's actions vs the wording of their expensive branding.

Interview Questions
    • I wouldn't say any of the question's were difficult but I did find explaining the cultural nuances required in managing a global program, the recruiter seemed more focused on the US specific initiatives.   View Answer

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!