VMware Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

3.6

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a horrible experience recently with the storage and disaster recovery team. The recruitment process was not professional. They had no clear process in their hiring. I had to do 1 phone round, 4 skype rounds(supposedly on site), 1 round with the hiring manager and then again I was called for another "real" on-site(4 rounds). Totally around 10 rounds. I have to tell you, when you are interviewing someone who already works for another company(not a fresh college grad), he/she is reserving a lot of professional time to give the interview. Better respect their time. The whole process took around 1.5 months. I should mention this, the hiring manager had no professional ethics. He sounded very condescending and had no respect for the candidates time(He missed my interview schedule twice and did not sound apologetic about it at all). I was not offered the role but I am very glad I did not get to work with a horrible boss. His teammates very lovely and nice though. I have to be honest. They seemed much intelligent and pleasant to work with. My advice: Plan to take a lot of time out of your work, if you are planning to interview with them, because they take your time for granted.

Interview Questions

• Questions around BST, a lot of linux based questions, what happens when you turn a computer on? they were more keen on multi-threaded programming.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

online test with 3 problems to be solved in 1 hour followed by onsite 4 interviews. Interviews were well organized and interviewer were polite and willing to help if required. It was a good experience. After interview though HR updated me that my technical interviews were good but my work experience doesn't seem to be relevant for their requirement. During interview however we didn't talk much about my work experience (only ~5 min in the first interview) and all questions were related to problem solving skills. I requested for another interview via email to discuss my work experience. They took about 20 days to say they have done a deep dive assessment and I am not the right fit for their requirement. If my work experience was not a relevant for the opportunity (which is not the case I know) then they should not have invited me for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1. find k max numbers from n numbers 2. string anagrams 3. fibonacci series 4. sort billions of numbers 5. find nth prime 6. 8 identical balls and find heavy ball using scale   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

VMWare has a very professional interview process. Their recruiters are top notch and will always keep you in the loop as to where you stand. They are also very friendly as well. With other companies sometimes you never hear back from anyone. First there is an initial technical phone screen interview which lasts about 45 minutes or so. If you pass the phone interview they invite you onsite where you will be interviewing with at least three people. Each interviewer has one technical programming question which you are expected to code on a white board. This lasts around 45 minutes per interviewer. You may get a fourth interviewer added into the mix if they still don't have a good feel about you. (Most likely it's because you got 2 thumbs up and 1 thumb down) Be prepared to go back and study CS fundamentals because this is what they are looking for. stacks/hashtables/binary trees...etc as well as sorting algorithms such as mergesort/quicksort. If it's a "VMware hiring event" you have been invited to, you will encounter as little as three other candidates up to twenty who are interviewing at the same time. So don't be surprised with that. Overall the experience was very positive.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers write a function so that all the even numbers are on the left side of the array and all the odd numbers are on the right side of the array.   2 Answers

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Technical - on par with bay-area's best. Very technical / in-depth discussions / past experience is the key. Algorithms / Data Structures / Typical Computer Science essentials. Essentially hands on coding will go a very very long way, keep writing code to ace the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I had 2 onside interview. The first one was 2 technical and 1 with manager, each takes about 1 hour. The second was 4 technical and 1 with manager, each takes about 1 hour. Each technical interview started with coding, you are starting to code and it created many many topics for discussions. The interviewers were nice. The process itself is very common for silicon valley.

Interview Questions

• There was not a lot of unexpected questions - algorithmic, coding, understanding of architecting principles, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated the base salary increase, the overall offer is great

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

vmware recruiters are probably some of the worst. They can be disrespectful and rude, just be prepared for that. The phone screens were pretty typical as was the onsite. There is a big deal of focus on multithreading and data structures/algorithms. But if you are well prepared for interviews in the valley, you will notice that vmware interviews are easier than other more desired companies like google, facebook, linked in and box.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected. Typical tree algorithms with focus on multithreading.   Answer Question

Of all the offers at hand, vmware had the worst recruiting experience. They have faced a lot of attrition from senior engineers and recent-quits from vmware warned me against joining vmware. There code base is pretty bad at this point and that with the lack of good talent could mean a really tough experience once you join.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Initial communication with HR who asked why do you want to join VmWare & what do you know about the products etc. Followed by phone screen which turned out to be coding round. F2F was 9 rounds including 1 with HR. All 8 were coding rounds on white board & included mostly data structures. However, 4 rounds were pretty similar.

Interview Questions

• Write the implementation for LRUMap.   1 Answer

Senior Member of Technical Staff Interview

Interview

First round is usually a Phone interview. After that there is usually 3-4 rounds of technical interviews by various members of the team. Most rounds involve answering various technical questions and then writing some pseudo code or actual code. After those rounds you will be asked to wait for 2-3 days to know the result. If successful, HR will talk numbers.

Interview Questions

• This was for a Web team w/in VMware. One of them asked about writing an algorithm that de-duplicates contacts in an address book. And then asked to improve the algorithm   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Number of interviewers: 5 Position being interviewed for: Salesforce.com and web development Back to back interviews for 45 minutes with different members of the team. Most of them claimed to have interviewed several candidates whom they did not approve and they did not hesitate to keep reminding about the same during the interview (not a nice thing to hear from an interviewer before he/she has had a chance to interview you). It was senior position but the expectation was that one would memorize each and every API name and method signature, etc and actually write perfect code. Any solution that used straightforward APIs were shot down and met with comments that some of the solutions offered are redundant. Long story short, unless you respond with code that is according to their design strategy (which by the way an outsider would not know) and methodology and design pattern and algorithm, your answer/solution is "not right". 2-3 days after the interview, I was informed that they changed their position requirements altogether. It was obvious that the persons interviewing had a "my way or high way" attitude when it came to accepting solutions to their design questions. Too narrow viewpoint in an industry where there is always more than a hundred ways of solving a given problem.

Interview Questions

• How do you reverse print a string. After answering the same by providing an out of the box API, the next unexpected question was "What if it does NOT exist". While and 2nd alternative was provided, it was pretty much shot down as being not acceptable.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at VMware (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

It was long series of interviews consisting of 1 1-11.5 hrs long telephonic interview and then 9 on-campus technical interview. All the interviews including one of the manager and director were completely technical in nature. The interviews were of 1 to 1.5 hrs each and they utilized every possible second of interviewing. It was a long running day and all the questions were deep down in to technologies. The questions consisted of data structures, alogorithms, java, spring, hibernate, databases, design etc. After 7+ years of graduation, i was asked to explain the graduation final year project. I never expected it. Also in between the questions, there were few question which related to mathematics. The interviewer was quite supportive and would provide hints as welll to arrive to the final answer/solutions during the process. Overall a great interview experience, although i was extremely exhausted with long running day and very short breaks and that too long spaced ones. This was one of the tiring interview more because i wanted to complete everything on the single day.

Interview Questions

• Clone a linked list with following scenario: 1) The data of every node in the link could be a pointer to another node in the link. 2) The clone should create the exact structure/graph as of original.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I got the called very next morning about the offer and they made decent offer as i already told them about the existing offer. The benefits were pretty good and they had offered great RSU.