VMware

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Product Manager Interview

Senior Product Manager
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview Details – Reached out to a recruiter on LinkedIn. After initial phone screen was asked to speak to the Hiring Manager.

Hiring manager phone went really well we covered the role, product, expectations, my experience and products that I like.
Next I was asked to speak to a Project Manager that managed the engineering team - the interviewer was down to earth; explained nuances of the role and overall a great experience.

I was invited for an onsite interview - while they were scheduling the interview - I got another offer and hence they scrambled to schedule the interview one week before they would have ideally liked to.

Onsite interview was excellently scheduled with 3 1:1's with 3 pairs of interviewers:
1. Lunch interview hiring manager - he asked me about questions that I would like to be answered over the course of interviews.
2. Interview with Project Manager that I had spoken to before - in person he was a gem of an interviewer.
3. First group Interview with Director and a Sr. Product Marketing Manager - they had some real life practical and theoretical product management questions. All in all I thought the interview went really well.
4. Group Interview with pair of engineers - productive conversation
5. Group interview with second pair of engineers - different conversation but pleasant nevertheless
6. Interview with another Sr. Director that was previously involved in the product. It was a brief 10 minute interview
7. Finally the Hiring manager came back again and I had 15 minute conversation including my feedback - anything that I wish knew before I interviewed for the role.

The recruiter had promised that I will get the feedback the next day. As in cue, the recruiter told me that the interview panel really liked me and I had great PM experience but at thsi time they would pass on me as they are looking to hire someone more senior.

Interview Question – Would you be able to present in front of 1000 people?
Let's say the engineering team comes to you saying they could release only 4 out of 5 must have features planned for the release? Would yous till go with the release?
  Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response
Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware Senior Product Manager interview questions and advice. All interview reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.