VMware Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview Questions & Reviews

2.7

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at VMware in June 2014.

First contact with recruiter to set up a phone interview. Went well. we connected each other. She recommended me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. I talked with a Sr Product Marketing Manager. Call lasted 30mns. I asked a lot of questions to see if I can fit in the organization. Three days later I received an email from recruiter that they were not selecting me for the next stage. Reason: not skill set wise.

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months - interviewed at VMware in July 2010.

Was recruited by their headhunter. Met with a few people, hiring manager 3 times total.

Interview Questions
    I didn't really need to negotiate. I wanted the job and they wanted me.

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in August 2011.

The interviews were fairly intense and very technical for a marketing role. I was able to handle the questions because I have a technical background. In my opinion, they were testing mostly to see how you would answer the question and also for specific examples and solutions to their inquiries. I had one phone interview, 7 face to face 1:1 interviews (on one day), and then a couple of follow up interviews (phone and in person).

I met with almost every member of the cross functional team I would be working with, as well as, the GM of the group. Everyone was smart and asked god questions. Some were a lot more prepared than others for the interviews. There were a few people who were totally unprepared and the conversations were a waste of time.

In a nutshell, smart people, but not the people I would want to work with on a day to day basis. They came across as being very arrogant and living in a VMWare bubble. The GM was the biggest turnoff since he was totally unprepared for our conversation and tried to deflect his lack of reading my resume by asking questions that were suitable for an engineer. I was not impressed by him at all. In addition, the other "marketing" and biz dev folks I met were not the type of folks I would ever put in front of customers. They did give the impression of being business savvy.

While the team was smart and clearly confident in their technical knowledge, I think the general lack of business etiquette and social skills would bore me on a day to day basis.

The company was slow to respond about my interview schedule at first, then they moved very quickly. 7 interviews in one day is way too many. The HR person's follow up was good and she was generally responsive and helpful.

The salary "negotiation" was done up front and the compensation was competitive with other Director level roles in the valley.

Interview Questions
    • I don't remember the specific question anymore, but it was a very technical question for a marketing role.   View Answer

The people and corporate culture. The General Manager /Senior Director (J. Chen) was the biggest turn off... Napoleon complex to the 10th power. Suggestion to him: you're not always the smartest person in the room and you look like a bigger dork trying so hard to prove it. Also, put your iPad away when you are bringing on a senior level person to you team. Pay attention, focus and show some respect.

VMWare has great products, but the corporate culture is a major turnoff.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!