VMware

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in July 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter. I interviewed for Software engineer for performance group in VMware. The phone screen went on very well. I was invited for an onsite interview.

It was a full day interview. It started with an abstract performance measurement design question. After this I interviewed with few other engineers from the group. Typical tell me about your project and linked list reversal kind of questions. Then was with the manager. It did not go particularly very well. Asked about VM migration and performance issues. Whatever I said, the manager seemed have an expression on her face that acted as a negative feedback. After the interview, felt washed! Then was the lunch interview, where I was probed on synchronization techniques , locking and some tricky C questions. The rest of the day went very well with questions on mutl-threading, BST and performance.

Interview Question – Asking about VM migration /VMotion .   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in January 2009.

Interview Details – This was an interview experience I had back in 2005. 1 phone screen with VMWare's HR recruiter, followed by 1 phone technical interview with a senior engineer, what I am working on now, why I want to leave my current company, etc. Then got down to business, Java questions: Memory Model, volatile, synchronized semantics.

Invited back to half-day onsite interview the following week. Tough 4.5 hours: each round was with a very senior member of the engineering team each with their own areas of expertise. C++ deep dive: struct vs class, virtual destructors, multiple inheritance, polymorphism, detecting memory leaks, he gave me some code and asked me if there's a bug in there. Algorithms deep dive: reverse a linked-list, find largest sub-sequence of an array and comment on Big-O of my implementation. XML deep dive: write XSLT code to do some XML parsing, XML Schema questions.

Invited back again the following week for onsite with engineering manager and director.

Interview Question – Why would you want to have a Virtual Destructor in C++   View Answer

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by a recruiter from VMware who scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers. The gentleman who called went straight to the interviewing, first asking me to identify all possible bugs within a given chunk of code and then asking various low level OS and some USB protocol questions. The interviewer was completely impersonal but did give me a few hints here and there. I was fortunate enough to get to see the feedback that the gentleman wrote after our conversation, according to which I didn't answer anything wrong but did not give the answer he expected.

Interview Questions

Palo Alto, CA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in September 2010.

Interview Details – Believe it or not, even after 2 months, this company hasn't (and perhaps will never) reimbursed my interview expenses. I have contacted them many times via email, and have been told "Your check would be mailed this week!". Needless to say, I cannot recommend this company to anyone.

Update: 11/9: finally received a check from vmware for my interview expenses.

Interview Question – given array of integers. find subsequence that yields highest sum.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – substandard offer

Interviewed at VMware

Interview Details – there was a Pre-Interview exercise test. After the test I was called for an onsite interview. There were 3 rounds. Most of the questions were based on your experience and the work you have done. Technical questions were mostly straightforward

Interview Question – describle linux file systems   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at VMware in December 2010.

Interview Details – !st phone interview went well. Most discussed previous job interviews
2nd ph interview consisted question on java concurrency
In person interviews consisted of
(1) 1 simple recurssion programming question
(2) java programming question
(3) Discussion on monitoring & scalability
(4) Object oriented design question

Interview Question – OO design of file system   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware Senior Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.