VMware

VMware Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.4

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware in July 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter. I interviewed for Software engineer for performance group in VMware. The phone screen went on very well. I was invited for an onsite interview.

It was a full day interview. It started with an abstract performance measurement design question. After this I interviewed with few other engineers from the group. Typical tell me about your project and linked list reversal kind of questions. Then was with the manager. It did not go particularly very well. Asked about VM migration and performance issues. Whatever I said, the manager seemed have an expression on her face that acted as a negative feedback. After the interview, felt washed! Then was the lunch interview, where I was probed on synchronization techniques , locking and some tricky C questions. The rest of the day went very well with questions on mutl-threading, BST and performance.

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in October 2011.

I was first contacted by a recruiter from VMware who scheduled a phone interview with one of the engineers. The gentleman who called went straight to the interviewing, first asking me to identify all possible bugs within a given chunk of code and then asking various low level OS and some USB protocol questions. The interviewer was completely impersonal but did give me a few hints here and there. I was fortunate enough to get to see the feedback that the gentleman wrote after our conversation, according to which I didn't answer anything wrong but did not give the answer he expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in September 2010.

Believe it or not, even after 2 months, this company hasn't (and perhaps will never) reimbursed my interview expenses. I have contacted them many times via email, and have been told "Your check would be mailed this week!". Needless to say, I cannot recommend this company to anyone.

Update: 11/9: finally received a check from vmware for my interview expenses.

Interview Questions
    • given array of integers. find subsequence that yields highest sum.   Answer Question

substandard offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in January 2009.

This was an interview experience I had back in 2005. 1 phone screen with VMWare's HR recruiter, followed by 1 phone technical interview with a senior engineer, what I am working on now, why I want to leave my current company, etc. Then got down to business, Java questions: Memory Model, volatile, synchronized semantics.

Invited back to half-day onsite interview the following week. Tough 4.5 hours: each round was with a very senior member of the engineering team each with their own areas of expertise. C++ deep dive: struct vs class, virtual destructors, multiple inheritance, polymorphism, detecting memory leaks, he gave me some code and asked me if there's a bug in there. Algorithms deep dive: reverse a linked-list, find largest sub-sequence of an array and comment on Big-O of my implementation. XML deep dive: write XSLT code to do some XML parsing, XML Schema questions.

Invited back again the following week for onsite with engineering manager and director.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to have a Virtual Destructor in C++   View Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

there was a Pre-Interview exercise test. After the test I was called for an onsite interview. There were 3 rounds. Most of the questions were based on your experience and the work you have done. Technical questions were mostly straightforward

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in December 2010.

!st phone interview went well. Most discussed previous job interviews
    2nd ph interview consisted question on java concurrency
    In person interviews consisted of
    (1) 1 simple recurssion programming question