VMware

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter about a private interview event in my city. The communication was pleasant and informative. I was asked to complete a timed (one hour) coding question online at my convenience. If the coding question went well, then I would be invited to participate at the interview event. I completed the coding question, and submitted my solution. A few days later I received word that they would be not be moving forward with me.

Interview Question – You are given a dictionary, such as /usr/share/dict/words, containing a list of words, one per line. You are also given seven tiles. Each tile is either blank or contains a single lowercase letter (a-z).

List all of the words from the dictionary that can be produced by using some or all of the seven tiles, in any order. A blank tile is a wildcard, and can be used in place of any letter.

Try to use a minimal amount of memory.

1. Find all of the words that can be formed if you don't have to deal with blank tiles. (You may skip this step and go straight to step 2).

2. Find all of the words that can be formed, including those where blank tiles are used as wildcards.

3. Would you do things differently if you had to process several hundred tile sets with the same dictionary?
  View Answers (3)

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for VMFS engineering team. Recruiter contacted online. Scheduled onsite interview. Total 6 face to face interviews including 1 with engineer in Bangalore. Lost some time in setting video conferencing with engineer in Bangalore. Asked questions about filesystem work, whiteboard coding questions, algorithms, system programming. All interviewers were helpful. Used to take picture of whiteboard at the end of interview.

Interview Question – Design and implement recursive mutex   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in April 2013.

Interview Details – I have been talking with these people for a while, even before graduating. Once I am graduating, they were fast to follow up (in fact, they are the fastest to do so). However they were not pushy or anything, which cannot be said about all the employers/HR out there.

The exact interview is quite fun, with interview questions being interleaved with chats about your work, their work and their short-term to mid-term focus. This gives you an idea of what you will get to work on and helps to have an informed decision. Again, many companies from my experience does not provide such information which makes a decision hard.

As for interview questions, expect some of the typical coding questions with some system design questions. The latter is probably due to my area of expertise. Be prepared. There is really nothing special about coding questions. Study for it.

Interview Question – The employer has asked that I kept the question to myself, and I would respect that.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had a better offer from another company to do something I am personally more interested in.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in August 2012.

Interview Details – One round of phone screen and a onsite interview. Talk with four engineers and one managers during on-site visit. Many technical questions with code writing on whiteboard

Interview Question – Find a minimal editing distance between two strings   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in February 2008.

Interview Details – Phone screen.
Onsite interview - I felt onsite interview very un-organized. They kept changing conference room. I was roaming around in the middle of the day because they could not find a interviewer. HR came in the middle of the day to plug the whole, could not fill it full thought.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter. After exchanging a few emails, he arranged a phone interview. The phone interview last about an hour.

Interview Question – The questions were like:
- why vmware
- what is difference between process and thread
- how to you debug a server process which crashes randomly
  Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – Starts with a phone screen with hr and they give you a choice of tea prom to join. Later there is a technical phone screen with a team member. The office interview has 5 to 6 people. Some development, management, and hr. Sometimes interviews are two days. There are logic and programing questions.

Interview Question – One person asked me use of const in C++   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Yes, it was between two companies at the time.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in March 2012.

Interview Details – Find the convergence point of 2 linked list

Interview Question – Find the convergence point of 2 linked list   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in March 2012.

Interview Details – Overall I had 5 phone interviews that took about 6 hours and 5 one-on-one and group interviews On site that took about 5 hours

I was contacted by a recruiter after about a month after submitting an application online. The recruiter was extremely nice and incredibly helpful. The inital recruiter screening went well and I was told it would be progressing.

I was contacted a couple of days later by one of the senior guys on the team. It was a fun discussion about goals, ambitions, history, experience and expectations. The call lasted about an hour.

I then had a further thee phone interviews over the coming week, including a pair programming technical test with an highly skilled engineer from outside the team.I really enjoyed the banter and the attitude from everyone, it was exactly the right mix of knowledge, skill work ethic and fun.

The onsite interviews were excellent fun, I met with all the senior players, including my bosses, bosses, boss. There was a lot of white board drawing, solutions questions & scalability questions. Everyone was extremely nice and engaging, I actually enjoyed myself and never once felt out of place or out of my league. The interviews were typically 45m to an hour each, some were group chats, others were 1:1

I left feeling excited and highly motivated. It was a very pleasant experience.I liked everyone I met.

Interview Question – What bottleneck challenges do you think we would face is this architecture was scaled up x50,000   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated a higher salary and position using some soft skills. Some good advice is to not ask for anything directly, steer the conversation in that direction without being direct. If you demand something, its more likely to be rejected.

Cambridge, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of telephonic
1 round online
Onsite 1:1

Interview Question – Programming Concepts
Questions pertaining to resume
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at VMware

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!

VMware Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at VMware Software Engineer interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by VMware employees and interview candidates.