VMware

Updated Nov 24, 2014

3.2

39 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in October 2014.

I had two back-to-back interviews with VMware on my college campus.

The first interview was with a hiring manager. It was non-technical and lasted 45 minutes. It primarily consisted of a brain-teaser question unrelated to software. This interviewer was professional and informative.

The second interview was easily the worst I've ever had. The interviewer was arrogant, impatient (to the point of interrupting me to ask the next question), and made it clear within the first 10 seconds that he had no interest in interviewing me. The first question he asked was a brain-teaser unrelated to software. The second question he asked was an algorithm question. This interview lasted about 45 minutes, and I fully regret not walking out after the first 5.

Based on this experience I would never consider working for VMware.

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at VMware in October 2014.

It is a On campus interview. At first I take the online quiz on the Hackerrank.com. Then they managed a interview in the campus. The interviewer can not write code, only ask me a puzzle. And then ask me about the resume. The whole interview last about 30 minutes. And a week later, I get the result.

Interview Questions
    • Given 25 horses, and 5 tracks. Only at most 5 horses can be in one round's match. Ask at least how many rounds to get the three most fast horses.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at VMware in September 2014.

30 min phone screen and a 4.5 hour full loop interview; mostly technical coding questions and some SOAR stories; The first 3 rounds were full coding and with hiring manager it was mostly explaining projects and design questions.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in August 2014.

Very bad experience with VMware. I took the phone interview on Aug. They gave me an onsite on Sep. 18th. 10 days before the onsite, they send me an email and told me they have to remove me from the onsite since they realize I am a new graduate student. I have to cancle my ticked and reschedule all my other interview

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at VMware.

I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Questions
    • Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at VMware in May 2014.

There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Questions
    • How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in March 2014.

I received an email from a recruiter via Linked In regarding an "invite only" recruiting event to take place in Cambridge, MA. The event was to be held roughly 2 months from when I received the initial communication. I was told that VMWare was looking to fill several engineering roles "up and down the stack", and that they were looking for "every background" and "all experience levels".

After expressing my interest, I was instructed to take a 1 hour coding challenge via Interview Street (now Hacker Rank). The challenge was a single problem that covered basic data structures/algorithms and could be completed in the language of my choice.

After completing the coding challenge with 100% accuracy, I was invited to attend the event, and VMWare connected me with the appropriate people to arrange travel, ask questions, etc. So far so good.

2 days before I was scheduled to attend the event, I received a call that my interview would be cancelled. The hiring managers were looking for a very specific skill set, which I did not have. While all the communication I had received up until this point stressed that VMWare was looking to fill multiple different roles, and was looking for "solid CS fundamentals" and the ability to "quickly ramp up and learn new technologies", it seems the hiring managers were looking specifically for kernel developers with extensive experience in C.

I was very surprised to see that such a communication gap had occurred between the hiring team(s) and the recruiting team. I felt that this should have been caught much, much sooner. I had been in contact with VMWare for nearly 2 months! During this time I received very detailed documentation describing the general skills that they were looking for. That being said, I did appreciate them stopping the process as soon as it became clear there was not a match.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in October 2013.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter about a private interview event in my city. The communication was pleasant and informative. I was asked to complete a timed (one hour) coding question online at my convenience. If the coding question went well, then I would be invited to participate at the interview event. I completed the coding question, and submitted my solution. A few days later I received word that they would be not be moving forward with me.

Interview Questions
    • You are given a dictionary, such as /usr/share/dict/words, containing a list of words, one per line. You are also given seven tiles. Each tile is either blank or contains a single lowercase letter (a-z).

List all of the words from the dictionary that can be produced by using some or all of the seven tiles, in any order. A blank tile is a wildcard, and can be used in place of any letter.

Try to use a minimal amount of memory.

1. Find all of the words that can be formed if you don't have to deal with blank tiles. (You may skip this step and go straight to step 2).

2. Find all of the words that can be formed, including those where blank tiles are used as wildcards.

3. Would you do things differently if you had to process several hundred tile sets with the same dictionary?
        View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at VMware in October 2013.

I was called by the HR. And the HR was asking personal questions in very diplomatic way, trying to get to know if I was married! It sounded very weird. Later had an technical interview and the interviewer didn't acknowledge whatever I was explaining, and mentioned I will be contacted within 4-5 days. Never got a call back. Emailed HR to follow up and never received any reply. Apparently the HR now is with drop box!

Tech question: few complex recursive problems and asked the output and complexity.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware in June 2013.

Applied for VMFS engineering team. Recruiter contacted online. Scheduled onsite interview. Total 6 face to face interviews including 1 with engineer in Bangalore. Lost some time in setting video conferencing with engineer in Bangalore. Asked questions about filesystem work, whiteboard coding questions, algorithms, system programming. All interviewers were helpful. Used to take picture of whiteboard at the end of interview.