VMware

Average Difficulty
34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at VMware.

Interview Details – I got referal from employee and got response after 2 weeks. They arranged a 45 mins phone interview. The interviewer was quite nice. I didn't manage to write the complete solution to the coding question but he let me send the code within 30 minutes, it could just for formality though.

Interview Question – Not so many difficult questions. At first some OS questions about thread/process, deadlocks, followed by a coding question that find the next smallest node in a BST then the given number. I was not well prepared though.   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in May 2014.

Interview Details – There were two phone interviews and a face to face interview with the hiring manager. The first phone interview was with a recruiter who basically checked boxes to ensure that I met basic qualifications. The second phone interview was with the hiring manager. Questions were a mix of situational and technical. The third interview was face to face. More situational questions than technical questions. There were also some general problem solving questions.

Interview Question – How do you work with a superior that requires you to commit to unrealistic or unobtainable goals?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The salary was not in line with my expectations given that the position would increase my commute by nearly 30 minutes each direction.

Cambridge, MA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at VMware in March 2014.

Interview Details – I received an email from a recruiter via Linked In regarding an "invite only" recruiting event to take place in Cambridge, MA. The event was to be held roughly 2 months from when I received the initial communication. I was told that VMWare was looking to fill several engineering roles "up and down the stack", and that they were looking for "every background" and "all experience levels".

After expressing my interest, I was instructed to take a 1 hour coding challenge via Interview Street (now Hacker Rank). The challenge was a single problem that covered basic data structures/algorithms and could be completed in the language of my choice.

After completing the coding challenge with 100% accuracy, I was invited to attend the event, and VMWare connected me with the appropriate people to arrange travel, ask questions, etc. So far so good.

2 days before I was scheduled to attend the event, I received a call that my interview would be cancelled. The hiring managers were looking for a very specific skill set, which I did not have. While all the communication I had received up until this point stressed that VMWare was looking to fill multiple different roles, and was looking for "solid CS fundamentals" and the ability to "quickly ramp up and learn new technologies", it seems the hiring managers were looking specifically for kernel developers with extensive experience in C.

I was very surprised to see that such a communication gap had occurred between the hiring team(s) and the recruiting team. I felt that this should have been caught much, much sooner. I had been in contact with VMWare for nearly 2 months! During this time I received very detailed documentation describing the general skills that they were looking for. That being said, I did appreciate them stopping the process as soon as it became clear there was not a match.

Interview Question – Unfortunately, none.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was called by the HR. And the HR was asking personal questions in very diplomatic way, trying to get to know if I was married! It sounded very weird. Later had an technical interview and the interviewer didn't acknowledge whatever I was explaining, and mentioned I will be contacted within 4-5 days. Never got a call back. Emailed HR to follow up and never received any reply. Apparently the HR now is with drop box!

Tech question: few complex recursive problems and asked the output and complexity.

Interview Question – Do you have a family?   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was contacted on LinkedIn by a recruiter about a private interview event in my city. The communication was pleasant and informative. I was asked to complete a timed (one hour) coding question online at my convenience. If the coding question went well, then I would be invited to participate at the interview event. I completed the coding question, and submitted my solution. A few days later I received word that they would be not be moving forward with me.

Interview Question – You are given a dictionary, such as /usr/share/dict/words, containing a list of words, one per line. You are also given seven tiles. Each tile is either blank or contains a single lowercase letter (a-z).

List all of the words from the dictionary that can be produced by using some or all of the seven tiles, in any order. A blank tile is a wildcard, and can be used in place of any letter.

Try to use a minimal amount of memory.

1. Find all of the words that can be formed if you don't have to deal with blank tiles. (You may skip this step and go straight to step 2).

2. Find all of the words that can be formed, including those where blank tiles are used as wildcards.

3. Would you do things differently if you had to process several hundred tile sets with the same dictionary?
  View Answers (3)

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at VMware in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for VMFS engineering team. Recruiter contacted online. Scheduled onsite interview. Total 6 face to face interviews including 1 with engineer in Bangalore. Lost some time in setting video conferencing with engineer in Bangalore. Asked questions about filesystem work, whiteboard coding questions, algorithms, system programming. All interviewers were helpful. Used to take picture of whiteboard at the end of interview.

Interview Question – Design and implement recursive mutex   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in April 2013.

Interview Details – I have been talking with these people for a while, even before graduating. Once I am graduating, they were fast to follow up (in fact, they are the fastest to do so). However they were not pushy or anything, which cannot be said about all the employers/HR out there.

The exact interview is quite fun, with interview questions being interleaved with chats about your work, their work and their short-term to mid-term focus. This gives you an idea of what you will get to work on and helps to have an informed decision. Again, many companies from my experience does not provide such information which makes a decision hard.

As for interview questions, expect some of the typical coding questions with some system design questions. The latter is probably due to my area of expertise. Be prepared. There is really nothing special about coding questions. Study for it.

Interview Question – The employer has asked that I kept the question to myself, and I would respect that.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had a better offer from another company to do something I am personally more interested in.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in August 2012.

Interview Details – One round of phone screen and a onsite interview. Talk with four engineers and one managers during on-site visit. Many technical questions with code writing on whiteboard

Interview Question – Find a minimal editing distance between two strings   Answer Question

Software Engineer

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at VMware in February 2008.

Interview Details – Phone screen.
Onsite interview - I felt onsite interview very un-organized. They kept changing conference room. I was roaming around in the middle of the day because they could not find a interviewer. HR came in the middle of the day to plug the whole, could not fill it full thought.

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at VMware in August 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a recruiter. After exchanging a few emails, he arranged a phone interview. The phone interview last about an hour.

Interview Question – The questions were like:
- why vmware
- what is difference between process and thread
- how to you debug a server process which crashes randomly
  Answer Question

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!