VMware

VMware Staff Engineer Interview Questions

2.5

5 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware.

Phone screen interview.
On-site interview - 5 hours, engineers and managers.
You can have follow up phone interviews after that as well.
Interview with HR.
HR is negotiating the offer.
They are not in the rush, it's not recommended to take the first offer.
Some folks had like a 6 months negotiation back and forth.

Interview Questions
  • Know your staff, there are many experienced folks,
    be prepared to talk about what you have on your resume.
    Coding questions standard for industry.

View Answer
They are not in a rush, products are not treated as mission critical. You can negotiate over a couple of months, if you have time. Be patient. It's not recommended to negotiate on your own, it's better to come as a part of acquisition.

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware in February 2014.

I was initially contacted by a VMWare recruiter via Linkedin. After the initial phone conversation with the recruiter, my details were put into their recruiting database. Within a week I was contacted by 5 different recruiters looking for front end web developers for their respective VMware teams.

I picked one of the teams and had a phone call with the recruiter. After talking to the recruiter about my background and interests and confirming my interest in his team, a technical phone screen was scheduled.

During the technical phone screen, I was asked questions about my background, and then a few coding questions and UI design questions. The interviewer was satisfied, so I was then schedule for an on-site interview.

The on-site interview was an all-day affair, starting at 9am and ending at 4:30pm. I talked to 5 engineers and 3 managers. The engineers asked coding questions (design and code a Tic-Tac-Toe game, implement a LRU cache), algorithm questions (various ways to efficiently scan logfiles), and web UI questions (how to present data for different scenarios).

After the on-site interview, the recruiter contacted me with an offer at the Staff Engineer level, salary, signing bonus, yearly target bonus, and RSUs.

Interview Questions
    • Implement a LRU cache that can be initialized with a max size (in bytes) and keeps track of the hits/misses.   Answer Question

The group wasn't the right match for what I was looking for. I was looking for a group with more Web UI expertise, but this team was comprised of people who were systems and backend oriented.

Staff Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at VMware.

Applied online for a position in Networking and Security BU...
    Twice the phone interview was scheduled and the guy never showed up.
    Very unprofessional attitude by this team. So I told them I'm not interested !!

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at VMware in August 2012.

Below is the experience from VMware Bangalore hiring processes witnessed in last 8+ years:
    Pathetic hiring process. Recruiters nothing more than just coordinators with no real powers.
    Candidates with no 'godfather' stand no chance of getting hired. Your skills would come second.
    There is no tracking of interview feedback. I have seen people getting hired with all negative feedback as well.
    Candidates are kept waiting for multiple weeks.
    Communication can improve.
    Regionalism plays an important role. I have seen many managers hiring people only from their native origin.

Interview Questions
    • Many managers lack professional etiquette. They end up asking too many of personal questions.   Answer Question

Staff Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at VMware in June 2010.

My resume was submitted by referral. The initial contact was by phone from the internal recruiter that asked general questions about my skill set and interests. From this she was able to setup an in person technical review with a couple of the teams.

My interview with the Mac team was about three hours.

The first was purely technical to see how I would handle basic programming problems and how I could debug some code that was leaking memory.

The second was with the lead, manager, and director to find out more about me, but the questions were not as technical as the first interview.

The third interview was with two engineers from two other teams to check out other skills that I have so they could evaluate me if the first team did not take me.

Interview Questions
    • An Objective-C memory leak occurring in a code sample. Since I had not had much experience with auto release pools at the time I was unable to find the solution to that problem.   Answer Question