VMware Systems Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 13, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Austin, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

I found this job on all the boards (Monster, Brass Ring, etc). They said they had "hundreds" of resumes submitted. I phone interviewed first with a member of the team (who would become my peer). Then I met him in person. Then I had a call with his peer. Then I had a call with the hiring manager. Then I had a call with that manager's manager. I also had a call with the salesperson aligned with the role. Then I had a face to face meeting with the VP of the group, the whole team, and another salesperson. It was between me and one other candidate, and I took the initiative to meet with the most senior member of the team and a few others. I was told that it pushed me over the edge and got me the offer.

Interview Questions

• Senior VP asked me detailed questions about where I thought the market for certain products was headed. I had lots to say, and I felt that I nailed it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I tried but got nothing more than the original offer. Recruiter said "so should I tell the hiring manager that you aren't exactly over the moon about the offer?". I was convinced to take it when I carefully considered the total offer, including stock, benefits, etc.

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2013.

Interview

Good discussions with VMware recruiter, and local SE manager lead to on-site interview with SE Manager and a few account reps. Interview questions were the normal, how do you overcome objections, how resources do you use. After several weeks of hearing nothing, was told I wasn't being offered the position, but may be contacted in the future.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a customer wanting to go in depth on a product you know little about - 5 minutes before the meeting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Denver, CO) in March 2012.

Interview

One phone interview by recruiter, then two different people (networking specialist and a storage specialist) that conducted phone interviews with technical questions (mostly non-VMWare related). Finally I had one in-person interview where I met with my future manager and some technical lead engineers which all asked questions regarding customer interactions, difficult technical situations and time management.

Interview Questions

• troubleshooting a small network, describing RAID levels   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Reston, VA) in January 2011.

Interview

Phone screening followed by a number of in-person interviews. Interviews start with relevant experience and background. Looking for a fit both technically and personality wise, especially good verbal communication skills. After technical interviews expect to interview with team members who will be looking for how well you will integrate into the team.

Interview Questions

• Can you whiteboard a sample customer presentation?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You get what you can negotiate for within the range of what the hiring manager is authorized to extend. Typically this revolves around starting title, base salary, and stock incentives.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at VMware (London, England (UK)) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied for the above role through their website and been screened (with in a week) through the HR team on telephone (around 45 mins), with in few days they setup another telephonic interview with the technical manager. I did really well and explained my skills (presales and technical) and the projects I have worked. The telephonic interview took over 1hr15 mins, which included the technical and standard general questions like why you want to work for VMware, what would be your next career step. With in 2 days I had an email saying that I have not been selected as I'm more on the "delivery side". which is really a joke as I never worked on delivery side and emailed about all the Opportunities I have worked and questioned this. within a day I had response saying that you have some good pre sales experience, however for this particular vacancy we require someone with more experience (standard response)....

Interview Questions

• Nothing, as answered most of the question with in my domain   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santiago (Chile)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at VMware (Santiago (Chile)) in February 2012.

Interview

I was invited to the process by a recruiter, it consisted of 4 phone interviews, and after passing those an on-site interview in Palo Alto offices. The process is really straightforward, and they inform you about your progress after each step. The recruiter for my region is really topnotch and committed to delivering a good experience for you as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Not really difficult or unexpected questions, in my case it centered around my previous experience and knowledge.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The negotiation was really simple, they sent a spreadsheet so I can describe my current compensation package, and then made a competitive offer.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at VMware in June 2011.

Interview

It was a regular process, starting from reccruiter to telephonic discussion and face to face discussion.

Interview Questions

• Technology Specific Questions on Server Virtualization and Desktop Virtualization   Answer Question
    • Experience and Project related questions   Answer Question

Negotiation

NO Not Much