VMware Technical Support Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

3.3

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at VMware.

Interview

Shortly after applying online, I was contacted by a recruiter who directed me to their online technical screen. This is not for the faint of heart! The questions on the technical screen span a lot of area and you are expected to know names and processes directly from memory (no googling allowed). Do your homework before embarking on this mission.

Interview Questions

• What is the maximum throughput for a fibre channel in a fibre channel switched network?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for VMware

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in April 2015.

Interview

Process started out with a recruiter reaching out and providing a link to technical quiz. These are pretty tough and require some decent experience to answer the questions in a timely fashion. After passing that I had to wait for several weeks before another recruiter reached out to setup an onsite interview.

The Onsite interview was pretty rough. My panel was 3 engineers who asked questions to get grasp of depth of knowledge. That was followed up by a managerial interview to see if you socially a right fit.

Interview Questions

• A computer is unable to connect a intranet site, walk me through how you would troubleshoot that?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO).

Interview

The recruiter asked me some basic Windows questions after I passed that phase I had an onsite interview. Each Escalation Engineer there were 4-5 people had asked multiple questions based on a scenario to see your troubleshooting methodology. If they asked about a network printer what would you do to get it to work it would start pretty basic and they kept going until your ideas had run out. It differs between each department what questions are asked. There were no right or wrong answers. Windows troubleshooting skills are what they are looking for. If you pass that phase you will meet with the managers. They will discuss & recommend for an yes or no to an offer.

Interview Questions

• They expanded each question asked which increasingly was more difficult. They wanted to see if you painted yourself into a corner or if you could expand outside of the box.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They made an offer and I accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in December 2012.

Interview

Submitted resume and was contacted by Recruiter within a few days. Recruiter asked me 15 technical questions that range from easy to advanced. Was able to get 13.5 answers correct which qualified me for the next stage in pre-interview process. Spoke to member of VMware Technical Support staff and spent nearly 90 minutes on the phone answering technical questions. Proceeded to do well on this round of phone screening questions and was asked to interview for position via Skype (in live in the North East and position was in Colorado). During each of the phone screens I was told to answer what I can because know one knows everything and do not try to make up an answer if you do not know -- very reasonable and logical advice. Skype interview consisted of speaking to (2) Sr. Escalation Engineers for 45 minutes and then followed by a Manager for 45 minutes. The conversation with the Escalations Engineers was not really technical in nature. If you have gotten this far in the process those core skill sets should be acknowledged. They asked (2) generic troubleshooting questions (1) Host Connectivity to the Internet, (2) Server keeps rebooting.
    Conversation with the Manager was more personality and behavioral based questions and as it relates to working in a team for a Customer Service organisation. Everyone was pleasant and professional.

Interview Questions

• Nothing difficult or unexpected -- gloves are off and everything is fair game during an interview, for this type of position, when the qualifications and experience required are so diverse. However, I do not like the improv approach to troubleshooting questions during and interview. If the problem written down and is not subject to change on the fly, because it is developing as the interviewee is asking questions, it may be a good tool for assessing a candidates competency.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in November 2012.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me within 24 hours of my resume submittal. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter, then a 45 minute interview within a week to vet my technical skills. I failed the skill-set test for the position I applied for, but they brought me in for interviews in another department.

I attended a hiring event about a month after the initial resume submittal. I had a 45 minute technical interview with 2 managers and then a 45 minute conversation with a team manager.

A week after that I received an offer, pending background check.

Interview Questions

• How to re-prioritize a process in UNIX (as far as CPU cycles go). Which option moves it in which direction? I remembered the command, though I hadn't used it in 25 years. Forgot the option details though   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was unemployed at the time so the negotiation consisted of me doing the Homer Simpson "woop woop woop" while rolling on the ground. I had the courtesy to mute the phone while I celebrated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in November 2012.

Interview

After a rather stressful initial phone screening, I actually met with my soon-to-be team members and direct manager as a part of the interview process. They really took time to get to know me and made me feel very welcome even before I was hired. Once you get in the door for an interview, you will know right away if you are a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Name the main character of My Little Pony.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in October 2012.

Interview

First interview was the recruiter and that was a typical interview. Second was a "technical" phone interview where someone asks technical questions that have been on their script for years and in serious need of updating. Interviewer spent half his time apologizing for having to ask such antiquated questions. Nevertheless, we got through it and invited further. The third interview was conducted in two parts 45 minutes sessions. The first was with two current engineers. One engineer was difficult to understand and there were frequent requests for clarification. Otherwise, a typical technical interview. The second part was with the hiring manager and a prepared script of questions...and again... in serious need of updating.
    All in all, it appears VMware is on auto-pilot in it's hiring process but clearly not keeping it updated and fresh. Once notified of the results of the interview process, you are either accepted into their "queue" or not. If accepted, you won't start immediately but will be placed in a queue to be contacted when need arises. And actual employment is still not certain. You must pass the background check which can take 2-3 weeks. So, if you get accepted, by VMware, don't give your notice until you have gotten final notice that you have cleared all background checks.

Interview Questions

• Was given technical networking scenario that could not exist in the real world. So, you are left with a choice of correcting the interviewer or answering the question incorrectly.   1 Answer

Got the distinct feeling that VMware Technical Support positions were a revolving door with strict adherence to quotas being met. ie...typical call center. Hence, the need for a queue of pending hires.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in August 2012.

Interview

Referral from a current employee, recruiter called me within 24 hours of my resume being sent to them. Recruiters share the process and even when applying for a position in CO, I was contacted by (helpful) recruiters in Ireland, Canada, and Texas.

Since there was a career event, I was told to wait for the event to interview (about 3 weeks from a resume submission and initial short technical phone screen)

Interviewed with a hiring manager for 45 minutes, and then two senior TSEs for the technical part. The tech varied from being platform specific (eg in Linux, how to do I do xyz) to being platform agnostic (a machine cannot reach another machine, what are some possibilities?).

Received a phone offer less than 48 hours after the interview, started the on-boarding process and started my first day about 4 weeks after the interview. (They want to allow for 2-week notice to previous employer)

Interview Questions

• Most significant to least significant bit or vice versa read/write order   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was happy with my offer and did not negotiate.

Note to people used to coming from "Tier 1" as a help desk role. A TSE 1 here is nothing like that, and most people seem to enter as a 1 or maybe a 2. It's not your title, it's an HR code. Having 8-12 years of experience and starting as a TSE 1 is common. Don't be put off that you're not your old "level" of TSE. Titles are totally different. Most of us are used to being "Tier 3 support", which is totally different.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in August 2012.

Interview

Initial email from a recruiter, then a phone interview with a technical recruiter - initially just to see if you will fit the culture, then a technical phone interview with a technical lead to see if you have technical aptitude and knowledge, then an interview with 2 support engineers and a manager/supervisor. Overall good people, just answer honestly and you will do fine.

Interview Questions

• Active directory knowledge during technical phone interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Gave me a lot more than what I was asking, could not say no to that. Always remember to give yourself enough time for background check to go through before putting in 2 weeks with any current employer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at VMware (Broomfield, CO) in August 2012.

Interview

After the initial application to VMware.com the recruitment staff is typically very responsive in reaching out to candidates that meet at least some of the job skills/requirements. During the initial interview a basic technical screen is completed where questions related to the job role you applied for are asked. During this call the recruiter also asks several question to judge your scope and how you would fit into the company. The next interview is a visit as well as more in depth look into how you troubleshoot technical problems. Next you will meet with a manger and discuss several behavioral questions similar to other companies but more importantly look at how you approach working an issue and how you gain and share knowledge. Some times, particularly if you are moving to join VMware, they like to have a follow up conversation to ensure you will be joining the company for the right reasons and look to avoid hiring someone who is serious about joining particularly out of your area.

Interview Questions

• What is most important to you when joining a company.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It initially started on the first call from VMware during the technical screen where pay requirements are brought up. After you are offered the position from management their is a person who has you pay requirements and follows up with that. At this point if you have any needs or pay requirements this person will work with your soon to be manager to either meet or counter offer your request.