Vacations To Go Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.2

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vacations To Go.

I had one in-person interview at their Houston office. It went well and they offered me the job by phone a few days later. I was considering another offer at the time and asked for a written offer letter and a few more days to decide. The manager then called me back to say they were withdrawing the offer as they needed someone immediately. I was a new grad and pretty naive at the time, but even then I knew it was a big red flag and very unprofessional.

The offer was rescinded when I asked for a written offer letter and a few more days to decide.

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Vacations To Go.

I applied online and was called within 24 hours and asked to come in for an interview. I did the following Monday. I met with an HR rep, who asked me some questions about my resume and schooling, and then I took an editing test, a writing test, and filled out an actual application. The editing test was printed on a sheet of paper, and you were to edit it with a pencil. You have a word processing document open on the computer in front of you that you are allowed to use (type words into it to see if they are spelled correctly), and you also have a dictionary that you are able to use. The writing test consisted of three questions that you were to write your answers to: what made you a good candidate, if you could travel to any destination, where would it be, and one other.

I was told that I would be contacted at the end of the week and that the next step would be to meet with the Vacations Publications staff. My interview was at the beginning of May, and to date (June 9), I have yet to hear anything back. My emails and calls regarding the position have gone totally ignored. I have no delusions that I will get the job at this point, but I find it VERY unprofessional that the company cannot answer my inquiries, especially considering that I drove 2 hours to participate in this interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Vacations To Go in July 2013.

Applied through Craigslist. Got a phone call two days later and an interview scheduled the following week. First interview was with head of HR and the second with the head of the foreign language department. Interview was pretty easy, short and straight forward. Got called back two days later. Accepted the job offer. Worked there for a year. Loved it. Left because I had to move out of town.

Interview Questions
    • They make you take a writing assignment, which was pretty easy in my opinion.   Answer Question
    Based salary plus reduced commission for the first three months. Full commission afterwards. Benefits (vision, dental and etc) only come after you spend 6 month with the company. 401K contribution after a year.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vacations To Go.

I was contacted for an interview after submitting my resume via fax to the office manager. The interview was relatively relaxed and the questions were mostly behavioral in nature with some regarding work history. Following the interview, a single page proofreading test was administered consisting mostly of spelling and punctuation corrections. A dictionary was provided and the test was not timed.

Cruise Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vacations To Go in October 2012.

2 Interviews, "always get 2 looks at all agents". First interview is with human resources, they determine if you will interview with the director of sales. Nothing difficult, both interviews were very focused on job history and daily activities of past positions. It appeared as if they wanted to determine how well you managed time, dealt with customer concerns as well as what made you successful vs any of your competitors. You will have a writing test to see how you will reply to an interested traveler as well as a math test. Figuring % of commissions to be received, you can use a calculator. Credit & background check.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me the corporate story of your past employer, corporate origin and how you were different vs "brand x"? Expect to be grilled about daily activities and you should be fine.   View Answer

Was offered another position right after my 2nd interview. Got a call next day from VTG making the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Vacations To Go in October 2012.

Interview consists of meeting with HR consultant. Then a second meeting with either sales director or second hr person. written math test for idiots and brief interview on the computer

Interview Questions
    • the sales director barely looks at you as he does not like to interview and makes sure you know this   View Answer
    no negotiation. commission only 90 day base salary with lower commission then you transition to commission only.

Cruise Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vacations To Go in April 2012.

low keyed, process was very easy going. discussed salary,benefits,working hours and types of programs offered by the company.Asked if I had any questions. imformed me that if they were insterested they would call in a few days to set up second interview.

Cruise Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vacations To Go in December 2011.

I saw the ad on monster.com and submitted my resume, I followed up by finding the local office phone number and asking for human resources. The person in the office pulled up my resume while I was on the phone and set up my interview for two days later. The interview was relatively relaxed and informative. I got a call back that evening for my next interview two days later. They seem to have a two part interview requirement. At the end of my second interview I was given a math and language skills test, directly related to the job. End of day they called and made me an offer to start in the Monday training class contingent on a criminal background check.

It's a 90 day guarantee with a lower commission rate then is all commission at a higher rate. Six months until benefits become available.

Interview Questions
    I made an attempt at negotiation of the guarantee but there was no wiggle room.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Vacations To Go in December 2010.

HR Manager meet with you asked about your experience, really pushed how much money could be made in commission, gave examples of top performers to entice the job. Later you would have to take an assessment test

Interview Questions
    • No really difficult questions, standard interviewing techniques.   Answer Question
    Commission only

Online Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Vacations To Go in August 2010.

I saw an ad on Craigslist for an Online Editorial Assistant at Vacations To Go, and thought it looked perfect for me. They wanted a college grad-preferably an English or Journalism major (mine is English)-to write emails to clients answering questions about the company and/or its vacation packages, edit website content, and attend to various other unnamed administrative tasks.

I immediately responded to the ad by emailing my resume and cover letter to the anonymous address provided on Craigslist. A few days later, I was driving in town and randomly saw the office building itself. I took this as a sign that I should go in and drop off my resume in hopes that they would see it and respond. I did so, and the receptionist gave me the name and email of the hiring manager. The next day I wrote a follow-up cover letter and emailed it directly to the hiring manager. The very next day I got a call from her "co-manager" asking if I would like to come in for an interview the following day. Of course I said I would.

I wore my best outfit to the interview, spoke to the "co-manager" for about 10 minutes and was then informed I was to take an editing and writing test, as well as fill out an application for employment. The editing test was fairly easy and the writing test simply consisted of three questions concerning why I wanted to work there, why I would be the ideal candidate, and an example of "good customer service" I could remember and how that had impacted me. After the test I was told I could leave and that if I had not heard anything in two days I should contact the co-manager.

The very next day, the co-manager called to let me know I had done excellently on the test, and to ask if I would like to come in for a second interview with the hiring manager the following week. Once again, I said yes. Wishing I had saved my best interview outfit for the actual interview, I found something suitable and came in to talk to the manager. She was not dressed professionally, seemed laid-back and only asked me a few vague questions such as, "Tell me a little about yourself." After I explained my situation and why I believed the job would be perfect for me, she informed me about the hours I would be working, which were a little unusual, and what exactly I would be doing-which was answering emails to clients as if I were the CEO of the company, which is apparently what everyone with this job title does there.

She then took me up to meet the department head for a second interview, and he asked me questions like, "Which do you like better, creative or technical writing," and "Where do you see yourself in five years?" I answered honestly and to the best of my ability. As both managers had done before him, he asked if I had any questions for him. I asked if the emails to clients were to assume a certain "tone" or "style" of writing consistent with the CEO's, and he said yes. I told him I had asked the other managers many questions and that I was very clear about the company and the position itself. On the way back to the hiring manager's office, he asked where I lived, and if I would have to commute very far. I said no.

Once I was back in the hiring manager's office, she said that was it and that it was very nice meeting me, and I should "keep my phone near me" and check my email over the next few days, and that I would hear from them soon. She sounded very positive and as a result I was also very positive about the interview. Too positive, because two days later I received an email saying I did not get the position. I called to ask what skills I lacked or what disqualified me and was told they had hired another candidate that was better suited for the position. They gave no details about how this person was "better suited."

Interview Questions
    • There really were no difficult or unexpected questions. "Where do you see yourself in five years" is a bit difficult simply because the truthful answer is, "Who the hell knows?"   Answer Question