Vail Resorts

Updated Oct 30, 2014
Updated Oct 30, 2014

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

The interview process was really easy. Applied for the position online, and received a phone call within 2 weeks and came in for an in person interview the following week. The manager was very welcoming and laid back. It was very easy to talk to him and the interview felt like having a good conversation with a friend.

Internal Audit Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vail Resorts.

4 interviews with 3 managers and director, had to drive all over colorado to meet, interviews were very standard, enjoyed all the people I met. Prepare for a typical audit interview, nothing unique needed for cail

Location

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vail Resorts.

Initial phone interview with recruiter was pleasant. Second interview scheduling postpone due to travel. My follow up communications were always met with a positive 'we are just waiting to get you scheduled', but this never happened. I have heard others had the same experience with chaos in the interview/hiring process, ultimately leading them to search elsewhere for employment.

Canyons Snowboard Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Vail Resorts in October 2014.

I waited a week for a phone interview and the lady called me up and said "sorry we're all full for full time instructors but not for part time instructors, however I won't interview you for that postion unless you have been a teacher" I understand that the competition for these jobs are high but I've been really excited for this interview for a week I couldn't believe that I was selected to be interviewed. I wish I could have been sent an e-mail saying that they were full. The only positive thing that came out of my "interview" was that I used to be unsure if Vail was a good company (they just bought out PCMR who I have worked for the last 2 seasons). Now I'm real sure they aren't a great company.

Interview Questions
    • I wish I'd been asked any question at all. Its like my time is worthless to them.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keystone, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Keystone, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vail Resorts.

Applied online through VR job website.
    Received a screen interview from corporate recruiter.
    Was given wrong compensation information for position (by $22K!)
    Passed along for phone interview with hiring manager. Standard behavioral questions.
    Was called to do a face to face a day after the interview.
    Came in for a face to face - met with hiring manager and then department.
    The interview was very informal. No one had reviewed my resume before hand so questions were pretty simple - i.e. tell us about your experience, why do you want to work here... nothing that was challenging.
    Was offered the job the following week via phone call.

Interviewer attire was mountain casual - jeans, button downs, snow boots. So keep that in mind when getting dressed - no suits! And if interviewing in the winter, you'll most likely be walking through snow so wear appropriate footwear.

Interview Questions
    They don't negotiate much beyond a thousand or two. They push the benefit of living in a mountain town and the once in a lifetime experience as offsetting a higher pay.

Server Interview

phone interview, then face to face. they do a mandatory background check, no drug tests. seems like they aren't too picky when hiring for the winter as most people only work for 1 season anyway.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vail Resorts in June 2014.

I completed an initial phone interview that was about 30-45 minutes long. Standard questions: why do you want to work for Vail resorts, what do you know about the position, what qualifications do you have, how do you work in a team setting, how effective are you at multitasking. I had a print out of the job requirements in front of me while I did the interview which was a good idea.
    After the phone interview I got an invitation to go to a second group interview that lasted about 3 hours. I was a little nervous about a group interview but it wasn't what I was expecting, which was good. I got a chance to chat with the other applicants and they seemed to pick a very diverse group of people, everyone from kids who had just completed undergrad degrees to fully fledged attorneys. They do an hour long information session about the company that was given by two managers, then they break you up into individual groups and you do one on one interviews with a different HR manager than the one who did the initial phone interview. Finally you do an hour long practice exercise with the VP of HR.
    Everyone seemed really nice, super busy but they all really seemed to like their job. What kind of befuddled me was that they emphasized that they call every candidate back and how important it was individuals in HR positions to communicate with candidates... but they never called me back to tell me whether or not I got the job. I definitely would have called them back to follow up but ended up deciding not to because I had two other job offers that were better career moves for me. I just find it a little odd that I never got so much as a rejection phone call or e-mail after all that talk about how good they are about following up with candidates. Maybe it was a test to see if I would follow up or maybe someone dropped the ball I don't know.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vail Resorts.

Over the phone, easy

Offered $9.50/hr and I accepted

Snowboard Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vail Resorts.

First they will call you and set up and interview time. I then reported to the ski school building and sat down with eric rolls. He made me feel very welcome and the interview went very smooth. He asked very basic questions and nothing was too difficult. Overall it was a great experience.

IT Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vail Resorts in March 2014.

2 x 1 hour phone interviews with HR and hiring manager
    4.5 hours onsite interviews => 4 sessions - 3 analysts, 4 developers, hiring manager, IT Director

Interview Questions
    • None. Typical techno-functional questions. Although in retrospect, I was asked my approach/opinion to their 'mini' HCM upgrade and politely disagreed with their questionable methodology. Perhaps this is what warranted their final decision => 'The consensus was that you’re quite a bit more experienced technically than what this job would require and that it’s probably not the best fit at this point in time.'   View Answer