Vail Resorts Interview Questions

Updated Mar 10, 2015
Updated Mar 10, 2015

2.2

Server Interview

phone interview, then face to face. they do a mandatory background check, no drug tests. seems like they aren't too picky when hiring for the winter as most people only work for 1 season anyway.

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Vail Resorts in June 2014.

I completed an initial phone interview that was about 30-45 minutes long. Standard questions: why do you want to work for Vail resorts, what do you know about the position, what qualifications do you have, how do you work in a team setting, how effective are you at multitasking. I had a print out of the job requirements in front of me while I did the interview which was a good idea.
    After the phone interview I got an invitation to go to a second group interview that lasted about 3 hours. I was a little nervous about a group interview but it wasn't what I was expecting, which was good. I got a chance to chat with the other applicants and they seemed to pick a very diverse group of people, everyone from kids who had just completed undergrad degrees to fully fledged attorneys. They do an hour long information session about the company that was given by two managers, then they break you up into individual groups and you do one on one interviews with a different HR manager than the one who did the initial phone interview. Finally you do an hour long practice exercise with the VP of HR.
    Everyone seemed really nice, super busy but they all really seemed to like their job. What kind of befuddled me was that they emphasized that they call every candidate back and how important it was individuals in HR positions to communicate with candidates... but they never called me back to tell me whether or not I got the job. I definitely would have called them back to follow up but ended up deciding not to because I had two other job offers that were better career moves for me. I just find it a little odd that I never got so much as a rejection phone call or e-mail after all that talk about how good they are about following up with candidates. Maybe it was a test to see if I would follow up or maybe someone dropped the ball I don't know.

Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vail Resorts.

Over the phone, easy

Offered $9.50/hr and I accepted

Snowboard Instructor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vail Resorts.

First they will call you and set up and interview time. I then reported to the ski school building and sat down with eric rolls. He made me feel very welcome and the interview went very smooth. He asked very basic questions and nothing was too difficult. Overall it was a great experience.

IT Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vail Resorts in March 2014.

2 x 1 hour phone interviews with HR and hiring manager
    4.5 hours onsite interviews => 4 sessions - 3 analysts, 4 developers, hiring manager, IT Director

Interview Questions
    • None. Typical techno-functional questions. Although in retrospect, I was asked my approach/opinion to their 'mini' HCM upgrade and politely disagreed with their questionable methodology. Perhaps this is what warranted their final decision => 'The consensus was that you’re quite a bit more experienced technically than what this job would require and that it’s probably not the best fit at this point in time.'   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vail Resorts.

Phone interview>In person

Human Resources Specialist Interview

The hiring process was easy for me; I had previously worked for this company as a contractor. I attended a testing session, to ensure that I could perform data entry duties. Initial interviews are typically conducted via phone or Skype. This season, the Talent Acquisition department seemed to hire a variety of people, from all different backgrounds. The leads for relevant departments learned as they went along. The system was in a constant state of change, because processes failed miserably. Though they did try to remedy past disorganization with SOPs (standard operating procedures), they quickly became obsolete, because the process changed almost daily.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation in that role.

Department Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Vail Resorts.

The have a recruitment phone screening team called TAG that are all newbies that have no previous job experience.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be ripperoo ( The Mascot) for a day?   View Answer

Senior Buyer Interview

I applied for a promotion, and a month later management didn't even know. I asked if they were going to interview me and they had no clue. Then they blew me off.

Interview Questions
    • I didn't really get an interview because I "Waited too long to apply." So I must not have really wanted the job or been that interested.   View Answer

In-House Counsel Interview

Was expecting an informational call. Turned out to be a substantive interview with an in-house recruiter. Questions were not difficult, I was just caught off guard. I feel like the process was not explained correctly. Odd that a recruiter would ask questions about substantive legal issues.