Vail Resorts Interview Questions

Updated Oct 11, 2014
Updated Oct 11, 2014

2.2

Restaurant Supervisor Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Vail Resorts.

Getting hired at VR is a long process. The HR department may be overwhelmed with applicants, but it does not become effective or at all personal until you meet with the hiring manager. Once you have met with an actual person, the process is simple, transparent and actually helpful to the candidates.

Interview Questions
    • If asked to, would you be willing to wear the (mascot's) uniform and work the crowd?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating with VR at most levels. The company is too big to allow this at anything but the highest levels. Best you can do is negotiate schedule, time off and other small benefits that the location managers have access to.

Rental Technician Interview

The hiring process was easy. Give the manager of an SSV store a call and show them you know how to talk to people. The application must also go through online. You must make it through a basic phone interview or two from the Vail Resort head quarters, but this is easy.

Interview Questions
    • The ask how you have dealt with unhappy customers before.   Answer Question

Dock Attendant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson Hole, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jackson Hole, WY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vail Resorts in May 2013.

Short and sweet it was all over the phone.

Three calls:
    1) 10 minute screening call asking "why do you want to work here?"
    2) 20 minute interview asking "What makes you qualified?"
    3) 30 minute interview centered around getting to know you and asking "How will you help the company succeed?"

Interview Questions
    • What have you done to create a more relaxed work place?   View Answer

Other opportunities

Equipment Lead Operator Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Vail Resorts in February 2013.

The actual interview was conducted in a relaxed and informal manner. I was read a series of prepared questions. My responses were noted by interviewer. The interview lasted about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • How would I deal with interdepartmental conflicts/issues?   Answer Question

Human Resources Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hastings, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hastings, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Vail Resorts in February 2013.

Hired as contractor through third-party agency first.

Interview Questions
    Emailed back and forth to reach agreement.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Vail Resorts.

Standard interview experience. Probably easier than most. Half of the interviewers didn't even ask a question. Just wanted to talk about themselves and their experiences. A "connection to the business" is all important at this company. You need to demonstrate and describe your passion for the ski business and the mountains. Even if you're interviewing for a corporate job. Do your research about the company, its competitors and the industry. Have an offer in your pocket when you negotiate your salary, and be ready to walk. If not, you're going to get screwed.

Interview Questions
    • The lack of difficult questions was the most unexpected thing.   Answer Question
    There wasn't any. They offered a salary and told me that was the maximum offer. They had already lost at least one candidate because they couldn't pay enough. I was desperate, and wanted the lifestyle; or so I thought. They don't pay well at all, but rather than deal with the low pay, the just continue to bring in new people in the bottom 15% of the industry salary range, because they can. Once people get there, find out they have to work their asses off, that they never get time to enjoy their ski pass, and that only the executives reap rewards, they leave. Then they hire replacements and do the same thing to them.

Communication Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Vail Resorts in January 2013.

The initial HR process was smooth and professional. However, I had a basic question about process after my 2nd interview. Tried emailing the recruiter, nothing. 2nd attempt, nothing. Frustrating!!! Job was re-advertised and re-posted, no communication. A basic courtesy call or return email would have been appreciated to let me know where that left me in the process, or just to say they were going to keep looking. I received word about 2 weeks after the re-advertising that I had not been selected as a finalist.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online – interviewed at Vail Resorts in January 2013.

Sent in resume & application via online process. Took about 2-3 weeks or so (can't really remember) to hear back from anyone (it was right around the holidays/ Q4). Interview was this morning - the headquarters looks daunting but everyone seems nice. Interview questions really weren't that hard - what's your design process like? What's you're background? Very general questions - nothing too hard.

Interview Questions
    • The only really in-depth question was the "How do you design/ How does your design process work?"   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Vail Resorts in January 2013.

The interview process was very laid back. They did not have any hard questions but as stated by all of the other reviews they are offering $10-15k below the going rate while offering a ski pass as the benefit in exchage of pay

Marketing Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Broomfield, CO

I applied online. The process took 5+ monthsinterviewed at Vail Resorts.

Position was posted the beginning of May. I applied for it the following week online and was contacted by a recuriting coordinator 4 days later. By the first week in June I had a phone interview with a recruiter who then recommended me to move forward in the process. It took 3 more weeks to get the phone interviews with the VP marketing and VP sales and biz development, which both went well. I had a follow-up conversation with the VP marketing and an initial call with a HR director two weeks later (mid/late July). I didn't hear anything until mid August when they asked me to fly out for a face/face interview in mid-Sept. I interviewed on a Friday from 8am-6pm, no breaks, meeting approx 15+ people, with a follow up interview on Saturday. They contacted me two weeks later to bring me back for a follow-up face/face interview, which was delayed for 6 weeks (end of Oct) due to scheduling issues on both sides. The second face/face interview was a shorter day, meeting only with key people - CMO (hiring manager), COO, HR, VP. Overall, the experience was intense, but enjoyable. I enjoyed everyone I met and we had great conversations about the business. I did not feel like I was being drilled, rather given opportunities through discussion to show how my background and experience is relevant to address business challenges, issues, and opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • 1) Tell me about your 2 biggest failures
      2) What would your peers say about you negatively
      Note that these are standard questions about self-awareness that I should have been better prepared to answer. My fault.
        Answer Question

In so many ways this was the perfect job for me, given my background, experience, ambitions and passions. While I was initially unsure about relocation, I was ready to make the move. It ultimately came down to their unwillingness to negotiate on anything. While the relo package was adequate, the base and targeted percentage bonus was low (vs industry), and vacation policy was limited. I did have concerns about their reputation for these issues and others, which are noted in review on this site and seperately mentioned by networking contacts in the area and industry.