Vail Resorts

Relevance Date Difficulty

Marketing Director Interview

Marketing Director
Broomfield, CO

I applied online and the process took 5 months - interviewed at Vail Resorts.

Interview Details – Position was posted the beginning of May. I applied for it the following week online and was contacted by a recuriting coordinator 4 days later. By the first week in June I had a phone interview with a recruiter who then recommended me to move forward in the process. It took 3 more weeks to get the phone interviews with the VP marketing and VP sales and biz development, which both went well. I had a follow-up conversation with the VP marketing and an initial call with a HR director two weeks later (mid/late July). I didn't hear anything until mid August when they asked me to fly out for a face/face interview in mid-Sept. I interviewed on a Friday from 8am-6pm, no breaks, meeting approx 15+ people, with a follow up interview on Saturday. They contacted me two weeks later to bring me back for a follow-up face/face interview, which was delayed for 6 weeks (end of Oct) due to scheduling issues on both sides. The second face/face interview was a shorter day, meeting only with key people - CMO (hiring manager), COO, HR, VP. Overall, the experience was intense, but enjoyable. I enjoyed everyone I met and we had great conversations about the business. I did not feel like I was being drilled, rather given opportunities through discussion to show how my background and experience is relevant to address business challenges, issues, and opportunities.

Interview Question – 1) Tell me about your 2 biggest failures
2) What would your peers say about you negatively
Note that these are standard questions about self-awareness that I should have been better prepared to answer. My fault.
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – In so many ways this was the perfect job for me, given my background, experience, ambitions and passions. While I was initially unsure about relocation, I was ready to make the move. It ultimately came down to their unwillingness to negotiate on anything. While the relo package was adequate, the base and targeted percentage bonus was low (vs industry), and vacation policy was limited. I did have concerns about their reputation for these issues and others, which are noted in review on this site and seperately mentioned by networking contacts in the area and industry.

Worked for Vail Resorts? Contribute to the Community!