Vail Resorts

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Ski Instructor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vail Resorts.

Interview Details – I applied with no experience and got declined, then I applied for the college internship program and got accepted to the same position.
Phone interview with HR rep, very nice asking my experience with skiing where, how long, experience with kids, experience with leadership.

Interview Question – Will you be able to work in harsh conditions, changing drastically at a moments notice? Describe your experiences working with kids?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None.

Keystone, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Vail Resorts in September 2009.

Interview Details – It was a simple process, almost too simple. I applied in the office, they called me a few weeks before ski season and I interviewed. They asked questions about how good I was with kids and leading groups, but nothing about how I could ski. They said they could teach me to ski if I didn't know, but kid-friendly people were harder to come by.

Northstar, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Vail Resorts in November 2012.

Interview Details – I was supposed to do a group interview, which were conducted every half hour all day with different groups, but I was a bit late and got a private interview. He asked me about past jobs, ski experience, and availability. He really liked my resume and personality and hired me on the spot. He then told me about how I was going to, not possibly, get my instructing certification which gave me a $5 per hour raise and better classes all around. It was a great experience.

Interview Question – He asked my why I thought I'd be a good instructor.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate my schedule.

Very Easy Interview

Vail, CO

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Vail Resorts in November 2008.

Interview Details – I was surprised to get an interview from Vail given the recent economic downtown in the fall of 2008. It turns out that they were having trouble getting help from out of the country due to the H-2B visa cap. I did not know this going into the interview process.

I had a very brief phone interview and scheduled a time the next day to come in to Lionshead. I was prepared to tell my life story, but very little information was needed from me. I also anticipated that they would have me strap on skis to make sure that my skills check out. I probably was just eager to get on the slops.

They hired me on the spot. I remembered to smile and enjoy myself, and I had a good experience.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you handled a stressful situation positively? Negatively?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Vail does not negotiate. Getting tips helped me to support myself

Breckenridge, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Vail Resorts in December 2011.

Interview Details – Apply online hope for a callback do a phone interview take background test get in person interview if hired required to do a basic training/ skiing evaluation. Personality more important than skiing skills. Lots of steps but it is a fairly straightforward. Season determines chance of hiring

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a snowsports instructor   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Experience (time, certification) helps with pay but it is all standardized.

Very Easy Interview

Vail, CO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Vail Resorts in November 2008.

Interview Details – I had family who taught so it was with the help of their word and a phone interview with a supervisor. Very easy.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Corporate, set rate. No leverage without licenses.

Ski Instructor

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Vail Resorts in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was first contacted by HR for a phone screen where they asked basic questions about education and why I want to work there. Once you pass the phone screen the hiring supervisor contacted be via email to set up a phone interview. She asked similar questions and gave me examples of customer service situations and asked how I would handle them.

Interview Question – If you were a cartoon character who would you be.   Answer Question

Worked for Vail Resorts? Contribute to the Community!