Valero Energy

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.8

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The cultures was great. High tech interviewing via Skype and in -office. Small staff. Modern amenities. Professional and quick hire turn around. However, all interviewees were not able to mKe the interview. The most difficult question is the dreaded, tell us about yourself". However, There were not any unrxpecteed questions.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy.

There is only one 1:1 Interview. Prior to this there is a screening at the university career fair. Mostly resume walk through, with couple of questions on your technical background. My interview was mostly conversational. Overall a really good experience. Know your resume well!

Chemical Engineer Interview

They were all behavioral based questions. In my interview at school they had two recruiters interviewing me. I got the interview after talking to them at the career fair. They were nice guys and it was a good interview. Just make sure you have a bunch of stories or experiences prepared to share that you can apply to any question that they may ask.

Interview Questions
    • What is one time you received criticism and how did you handle it?
      What is one time someone wanted to go against the rules and how did you handle it?

Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Basic hiring process. Interviewer will ask you about your background and why you chose to become an Electrical Engineer. Then the interviewer will ask you some behavioral questions and about your location preferences. Near the end of the interview, you will be given time to ask any questions regarding the position/company/specific sites.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you've worked with an uncooperative person. What did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy.

I took the assessment exam took 4 weeks to hear anything back. Got a call to come in for an interview. Interview was a behavior question type interview with 4 people asking questions. First interview was on a friday and got a call on Tuesday to come in for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell a time when you had to dork with a difficult person and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Environmental Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Valero Energy.

Applied Online and visited booth and campus held career fair. Handed my resume in person to their recruiter and received an email through my University with times for an interview on campus.

Plant Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Received a call directly from the company, not from the corporation HR business. The process was normal, schedule a phone interview directly with the Plant Engineer Manager, so there was no pre filter of Human Resources. The one hour interview was a mix of behavioral and technical questions. Most technical were about resume, the behavioral were normal questions. Easy going and very respectful.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was how they changed from a very technical question to a very behavioral question again and again. Know the corporate business, the specific company department, safety questions and be strong on your technical skills from your resume. Question like "can you tell me about a time when you led..." or "what is the ultimate goal of your career..." etc.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person – interviewed at Valero Energy in May 2014.

Put in application around 2am got a call 12 hours later. Did a interview 3 days later with store manager and area manager. The interview was your typical hourly job process managed to get paid a little more from the area manager (7.50 was starting asked for 8 and got it) Got hired and was told to wait for a call. Now here comes the worst part I had to wait 3 weeks to finally start working! The reason the background check took so long was because of my prior military service (the average wait is a week) By that time the store manager that hired me had transferred to another store and a new manager
    had just come in (and she has no idea how that particular store operates) I had to call the HR department to finally get cleared to start working! I never had that to do that ever for a low paying minimum wage job ever till now!
    I would not recomend this job to anyone unless they were desperate and even that good luck

Offered 7.50 but i asked for 8.00 and got it

Retail Systems Support Level I Interview

Process took about three months. One phone interview followed by two on site interviews. The interviews were pretty basic, knowledge of enterprise systems

Intern Interview

This had a basic behavioral portion, then the standard hire on type information. As an intern I did not have much experience, so I focused on my teamwork acheivments.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness, and how will this affect your performance within Valero.   Answer Question