Valero Energy Interview Questions

Updated Mar 4, 2015
Updated Mar 4, 2015

2.8

Internal Audit Interview

I met with recruiters at a university career fair and within two weeks I had an interview at my college campus. The interview process surprised me due to the lack of technical questions. It focused on team work and behavioral solutions. I had an offer within a week. I appreciated that they knew what they were looking for in an intern.

Interview Questions
    • Q: Tell me about how you handle disagreements on a team   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Internal Audit Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy.

I applied online to the posted job and was contacted via phone 1-2 weeks later. I then talked with HR to schedule a time that would work for me to come in and interview and meet some folks from the company. The onsite interview consisted of 4 total interviews (both formal and informal). First, I went out to lunch with two managers and talked about the position, the company, and my general responsibilities. Then I was given a tour of the campus in which I casually communicated with two other employees at Valero. Then it was on to another interview with two more employees and finally the last interview of the day included two directors.

Interview Questions
    • No real significant unexpected questions or difficult ones.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy.

At my school there is a huge career fair where the recruiters of nearly 800 companies around the world mingle with college students. There the students speak briefly to the company reps about their college experience so far and exchange resumes and business cards. If the recruiter likes a students personality then the student's resume will be kept for review after the fair. Later that evening the company recruiters will look over the resumes and filter the good ones based on previous work experience, GPA, and extra-curricular activities. Once a company has narrowed the candidates down to only a handful they will extend an invitation for an interview. The interviewers consisted of an older manger and a younger employee a few years out of college. They were very friendly and joked around throughout the interview to keep the mood light. If they like your personality, GPA, and previous work experience then they will offer you a job. Simple as that.

Interview Questions
    • None. The questions were straight forward.   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The cultures was great. High tech interviewing via Skype and in -office. Small staff. Modern amenities. Professional and quick hire turn around. However, all interviewees were not able to mKe the interview. The most difficult question is the dreaded, tell us about yourself". However, There were not any unrxpecteed questions.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy.

There is only one 1:1 Interview. Prior to this there is a screening at the university career fair. Mostly resume walk through, with couple of questions on your technical background. My interview was mostly conversational. Overall a really good experience. Know your resume well!

Chemical Engineer Interview

They were all behavioral based questions. In my interview at school they had two recruiters interviewing me. I got the interview after talking to them at the career fair. They were nice guys and it was a good interview. Just make sure you have a bunch of stories or experiences prepared to share that you can apply to any question that they may ask.

Interview Questions
    • What is one time you received criticism and how did you handle it?
      What is one time someone wanted to go against the rules and how did you handle it?

Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Basic hiring process. Interviewer will ask you about your background and why you chose to become an Electrical Engineer. Then the interviewer will ask you some behavioral questions and about your location preferences. Near the end of the interview, you will be given time to ask any questions regarding the position/company/specific sites.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you've worked with an uncooperative person. What did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy.

I took the assessment exam took 4 weeks to hear anything back. Got a call to come in for an interview. Interview was a behavior question type interview with 4 people asking questions. First interview was on a friday and got a call on Tuesday to come in for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell a time when you had to dork with a difficult person and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Environmental Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Valero Energy.

Applied Online and visited booth and campus held career fair. Handed my resume in person to their recruiter and received an email through my University with times for an interview on campus.

Plant Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Received a call directly from the company, not from the corporation HR business. The process was normal, schedule a phone interview directly with the Plant Engineer Manager, so there was no pre filter of Human Resources. The one hour interview was a mix of behavioral and technical questions. Most technical were about resume, the behavioral were normal questions. Easy going and very respectful.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was how they changed from a very technical question to a very behavioral question again and again. Know the corporate business, the specific company department, safety questions and be strong on your technical skills from your resume. Question like "can you tell me about a time when you led..." or "what is the ultimate goal of your career..." etc.   Answer Question