Valero Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Mechanical Engineer Intern I Interview

Mechanical Engineer Intern I
Bossier City, LA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Interview Details – My university hosted a career fair, and Valero had a booth. I went by and spoke to the representative there. He was very friendly and generated interest in his company. He answered all of my questions concisely and genuinely. I left them my resume. A few days later I was contacted about an interview that would be performed on campus. The man I'd met at the booth was also conducting the interviews. The interview process was relaxed and informal. I didn't feel that it was a grilling like some interviews can be, but rather an initial evaluation of whether or not I would be a fit for the company and vice verse. I did not receive an offer, but I consider it a valuable and positive experience.

Interview Question – We were sitting in the third floor of a 16 floor building. After asking me about my experiences with working within a group the interviewer suddenly asked me, "How many pennies would it take to stack as high as this building?"   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person - interviewed at Valero Energy in May 2014.

Interview Details – Put in application around 2am got a call 12 hours later. Did a interview 3 days later with store manager and area manager. The interview was your typical hourly job process managed to get paid a little more from the area manager (7.50 was starting asked for 8 and got it) Got hired and was told to wait for a call. Now here comes the worst part I had to wait 3 weeks to finally start working! The reason the background check took so long was because of my prior military service (the average wait is a week) By that time the store manager that hired me had transferred to another store and a new manager
had just come in (and she has no idea how that particular store operates) I had to call the HR department to finally get cleared to start working! I never had that to do that ever for a low paying minimum wage job ever till now!
I would not recomend this job to anyone unless they were desperate and even that good luck

Interview Question – Why I wanted to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Offered 7.50 but i asked for 8.00 and got it

Plant Engineer Interview

Plant Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview Details – Received a call directly from the company, not from the corporation HR business. The process was normal, schedule a phone interview directly with the Plant Engineer Manager, so there was no pre filter of Human Resources. The one hour interview was a mix of behavioral and technical questions. Most technical were about resume, the behavioral were normal questions. Easy going and very respectful.

Interview Question – Most difficult part was how they changed from a very technical question to a very behavioral question again and again. Know the corporate business, the specific company department, safety questions and be strong on your technical skills from your resume. Question like "can you tell me about a time when you led..." or "what is the ultimate goal of your career..." etc.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Austin, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Valero Energy in April 2010.

Interview Details – The person I interviewed with was great!! He could come of as a little rude, but I realized pretty quick that he suffered from bipolar disorder. Because I suffer from that, as well as, my boyfriend, I knew how to handle the interview. Most of the time he was great. He asked open questions rather than questions where I could answer yes/no. Avoid yes/no answers!

Interview Question – Do you know about the community works Valero participates in?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had to call constantly and ask the manager about my status. He later told me he was not going to hire me, but because I kept calling, he gave me a shot. Then he said something that made me smile! He said: "I'm so happy you continued to call. I see you advancing in the company very quickly. I'm glad I got to train you."

Retail Systems Support Level I Interview

Retail Systems Support Level I

Interviewed at Valero Energy

Interview Details – Process took about three months. One phone interview followed by two on site interviews. The interviews were pretty basic, knowledge of enterprise systems

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Maintenance Supervisor
Paulsboro, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Valero Energy in August 2010.

Interview Details – Had several interviews with all upper management also had to complete several tests

Interview Question – How would you handle the following situation: You and your supervisor are not agreeing on a path forward what would you do.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered a salary and bonus options

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Valero Energy

Interview Details – This had a basic behavioral portion, then the standard hire on type information. As an intern I did not have much experience, so I focused on my teamwork acheivments.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness, and how will this affect your performance within Valero.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Intern Interview

Chemical Engineering Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview Details – 45 minute interview, they take a very long time to get back to you

Interview Question – How do you use safety in you every day life   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Analyst Interview

Analyst
Memphis, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview Details – I was a contractor and I knew someone so I didn't have to go through an intense interview

Interview Question – I didn't have any questions at all   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were very firm on the offer amount

Shipping and Receiving Operator Interview

Shipping and Receiving Operator
Welcome, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Valero Energy in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called by the office manager to set up a time to come for the interview. Went through the interview with 2 individuals who asked many job related questions and was called and offered the job before they did the background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

• I was asked by the shipping manager... "Would you ever want to be a Shipping and Receiving Manager?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I took a job at another facility near by that seemed to fit me better. I did not feel that the Management at the Valero Welcome facility had my best interest at heart.

Worked for Valero Energy? Contribute to the Community!