Valero Energy

Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

Interviewed at Valero Energy

Interview Details – This had a basic behavioral portion, then the standard hire on type information. As an intern I did not have much experience, so I focused on my teamwork acheivments.

Interview Question – What is your biggest weakness, and how will this affect your performance within Valero.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview Details – 45 minute interview, they take a very long time to get back to you

Interview Question – How do you use safety in you every day life   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Analyst Interview

Memphis, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview Details – I was a contractor and I knew someone so I didn't have to go through an intense interview

Interview Question – I didn't have any questions at all   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were very firm on the offer amount

Shipping and Receiving Operator Interview

Welcome, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Valero Energy in December 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and was called by the office manager to set up a time to come for the interview. Went through the interview with 2 individuals who asked many job related questions and was called and offered the job before they did the background check or drug test.

Interview Questions

• I was asked by the shipping manager... "Would you ever want to be a Shipping and Receiving Manager?"   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I took a job at another facility near by that seemed to fit me better. I did not feel that the Management at the Valero Welcome facility had my best interest at heart.

SAP SD Specialist Interview

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Interview Details – They are very careful when they select people, it seems the salary they offer is too low, so they have been looking for the right candidate for almost a year. It seems that everything is perfect in this company and no issues or troubles at all, impossible!

Interview Question – It was a pretty technical question regarding VOFM pricing.   View Answer

Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Interview Details – Extremely uncomfortable interview. They were working in short blocks of time and made you feel extremely rushed. The man interviewing seemed completely uninterested in my resume as he began firing off behavior based questions off of a pre made template. The questions bounced around and were completely unrelated to each other. A few of the questions required such specific answers that I am not sure how anyone was able to answer them. The man acted like he did not even want to be there.

Interview Question – Tell me in great detail about a time when you were unclear of the instructions given to you.   View Answer

Communications Intern Interview

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview Details – Five women interviewed me one after another and being that I am a male, they were not too interested. The department consisted of all women and they ended up hiring a female, as well. Pretty biased if you ask me. Also, it would be nice if they were actually welcoming.

Interview Question – How would you enjoy working with all women?   Answer Question

Process Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Interview Details – The process was like any standard internship interview. They followed the STAR method, no technical questions. They filled out a form with my answers. Interviewer was kind and sincere. No questions asking me how much I knew about the company. A good amount of time at the end was left for my questions.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time instructions were unclear and you had to seek out further advice.   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Electrical Engineer
Port Arthur, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Valero Energy in November 2012.

Interview Details – Very laid back refinery electrical engineer crew interviewed me. They were friendly and willing to explain what they do. They relied solely on a power system software called ETAP.

Interview Question – Have you used ETAP at school?   Answer Question

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Three Rivers, TX

I applied online - interviewed at Valero Energy in June 2013.

Interview Details – Prescreening by HR personnel followed by phone interview by hiring manager then invited to the refinery for onsite interview and facility tour. After onsite interview, received email asking to complete three 200 question Hogan assessments. Apparently, I was a strong candidate but took 16 days before I heard I was 'no longer being considered'.

Interview Question – Describe a time that you were working on a team and things didn't go as expected and how did your correct it?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Valero Energy

Worked for Valero Energy? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Valero Energy interview questions and advice. All 40 interview reviews posted anonymously by Valero Energy employees and interview candidates.