Valero Energy Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2015

2.8

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

Submitted my resume in a career fair, was interviewed by a group of engineers in the refinery.

Interview Questions

• They asked about 10 questions starting with the phrase: "Tell me about a time when...."   Answer Question

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Three Rivers, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy (Three Rivers, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Prescreening by HR personnel followed by phone interview by hiring manager then invited to the refinery for onsite interview and facility tour. After onsite interview, received email asking to complete three 200 question Hogan assessments. Apparently, I was a strong candidate but took 16 days before I heard I was 'no longer being considered'.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you were working on a team and things didn't go as expected and how did your correct it?   Answer Question

Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Interview

Extremely uncomfortable interview. They were working in short blocks of time and made you feel extremely rushed. The man interviewing seemed completely uninterested in my resume as he began firing off behavior based questions off of a pre made template. The questions bounced around and were completely unrelated to each other. A few of the questions required such specific answers that I am not sure how anyone was able to answer them. The man acted like he did not even want to be there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me in great detail about a time when you were unclear of the instructions given to you.   1 Answer

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paulsboro, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy (Paulsboro, NJ) in August 2010.

Interview

Had several interviews with all upper management also had to complete several tests

Interview Questions

• How would you handle the following situation: You and your supervisor are not agreeing on a path forward what would you do.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered a salary and bonus options

IT Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX) in January 2013.

Interview

Used an head hunter so most of the communication was through them.

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy (Wilmington, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Sign up through the website and receive an email for testing. Went and took the test. A month later, got an interview. 3 people interview me.

SAP SD Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

They are very careful when they select people, it seems the salary they offer is too low, so they have been looking for the right candidate for almost a year. It seems that everything is perfect in this company and no issues or troubles at all, impossible!

Interview Questions

• It was a pretty technical question regarding VOFM pricing.   1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Port Arthur, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Valero Energy (Port Arthur, TX) in November 2012.

Interview

Very laid back refinery electrical engineer crew interviewed me. They were friendly and willing to explain what they do. They relied solely on a power system software called ETAP.

Process Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Interview

The process was like any standard internship interview. They followed the STAR method, no technical questions. They filled out a form with my answers. Interviewer was kind and sincere. No questions asking me how much I knew about the company. A good amount of time at the end was left for my questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of a time instructions were unclear and you had to seek out further advice.   Answer Question

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Valero Energy (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

College recruiting event and met the hiring manager. Show passion about getting the internship. Good GPA a must. Network with the accounting professors (They know a lot of people) What do you know about Valero?

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Fixed pay