Valero Energy

Updated Nov 5, 2014
Updated Nov 5, 2014

2.8

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Submitted my resume in a career fair, was interviewed by a group of engineers in the refinery.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about 10 questions starting with the phrase: "Tell me about a time when...."   Answer Question

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Three Rivers, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Three Rivers, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy in June 2013.

Prescreening by HR personnel followed by phone interview by hiring manager then invited to the refinery for onsite interview and facility tour. After onsite interview, received email asking to complete three 200 question Hogan assessments. Apparently, I was a strong candidate but took 16 days before I heard I was 'no longer being considered'.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you were working on a team and things didn't go as expected and how did your correct it?   Answer Question

Shipping and Receiving Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welcome, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welcome, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy in December 2013.

Applied online and was called by the office manager to set up a time to come for the interview. Went through the interview with 2 individuals who asked many job related questions and was called and offered the job before they did the background check or drug test.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked by the shipping manager... "Would you ever want to be a Shipping and Receiving Manager?"   View Answer

I took a job at another facility near by that seemed to fit me better. I did not feel that the Management at the Valero Welcome facility had my best interest at heart.

Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Extremely uncomfortable interview. They were working in short blocks of time and made you feel extremely rushed. The man interviewing seemed completely uninterested in my resume as he began firing off behavior based questions off of a pre made template. The questions bounced around and were completely unrelated to each other. A few of the questions required such specific answers that I am not sure how anyone was able to answer them. The man acted like he did not even want to be there.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me in great detail about a time when you were unclear of the instructions given to you.   View Answer

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paulsboro, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paulsboro, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy in August 2010.

Had several interviews with all upper management also had to complete several tests

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle the following situation: You and your supervisor are not agreeing on a path forward what would you do.   View Answer
    They offered a salary and bonus options

SAP SD Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

They are very careful when they select people, it seems the salary they offer is too low, so they have been looking for the right candidate for almost a year. It seems that everything is perfect in this company and no issues or troubles at all, impossible!

Interview Questions
    • It was a pretty technical question regarding VOFM pricing.   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Valero Energy in April 2010.

The person I interviewed with was great!! He could come of as a little rude, but I realized pretty quick that he suffered from bipolar disorder. Because I suffer from that, as well as, my boyfriend, I knew how to handle the interview. Most of the time he was great. He asked open questions rather than questions where I could answer yes/no. Avoid yes/no answers!

Interview Questions
    • Do you know about the community works Valero participates in?   View Answer
    I had to call constantly and ask the manager about my status. He later told me he was not going to hire me, but because I kept calling, he gave me a shot. Then he said something that made me smile! He said: "I'm so happy you continued to call. I see you advancing in the company very quickly. I'm glad I got to train you."

Plant Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Received a call directly from the company, not from the corporation HR business. The process was normal, schedule a phone interview directly with the Plant Engineer Manager, so there was no pre filter of Human Resources. The one hour interview was a mix of behavioral and technical questions. Most technical were about resume, the behavioral were normal questions. Easy going and very respectful.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was how they changed from a very technical question to a very behavioral question again and again. Know the corporate business, the specific company department, safety questions and be strong on your technical skills from your resume. Question like "can you tell me about a time when you led..." or "what is the ultimate goal of your career..." etc.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Intern I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bossier City, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bossier City, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

My university hosted a career fair, and Valero had a booth. I went by and spoke to the representative there. He was very friendly and generated interest in his company. He answered all of my questions concisely and genuinely. I left them my resume. A few days later I was contacted about an interview that would be performed on campus. The man I'd met at the booth was also conducting the interviews. The interview process was relaxed and informal. I didn't feel that it was a grilling like some interviews can be, but rather an initial evaluation of whether or not I would be a fit for the company and vice verse. I did not receive an offer, but I consider it a valuable and positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • We were sitting in the third floor of a 16 floor building. After asking me about my experiences with working within a group the interviewer suddenly asked me, "How many pennies would it take to stack as high as this building?"   View Answer

Marine Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in April 2012.

3 stage process all formal interviews. each interview with a panel of 2/3 interviewers. Thorough questioning and competency assessment. prompt detailed feedback and timely communications received. overall a reasonably pain free process.