Valero Energy Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.8

Maintenance Welder Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ardmore, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy (Ardmore, OK) in June 2015.

Interview

Went to on site interview show interview personal all license required for job . I have to be most qualified can not get any more in this state. Was asked a bunch of question that didn't have anything too do with job. How old are you, What your best accomplishment in life, Are you willing to help teach other employees if they need help.

Interview Questions

• How much experience I have in welding and how many different test you have to take and pass 7   1 Answer
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you? Would I move to be local in the area   1 Answer

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paulsboro, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy (Paulsboro, NJ) in August 2010.

Interview

Had several interviews with all upper management also had to complete several tests

Interview Questions

• How would you handle the following situation: You and your supervisor are not agreeing on a path forward what would you do.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered a salary and bonus options

Engineer Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Interview

Extremely uncomfortable interview. They were working in short blocks of time and made you feel extremely rushed. The man interviewing seemed completely uninterested in my resume as he began firing off behavior based questions off of a pre made template. The questions bounced around and were completely unrelated to each other. A few of the questions required such specific answers that I am not sure how anyone was able to answer them. The man acted like he did not even want to be there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me in great detail about a time when you were unclear of the instructions given to you.   1 Answer

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Three Rivers, TX

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy (Three Rivers, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Prescreening by HR personnel followed by phone interview by hiring manager then invited to the refinery for onsite interview and facility tour. After onsite interview, received email asking to complete three 200 question Hogan assessments. Apparently, I was a strong candidate but took 16 days before I heard I was 'no longer being considered'.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you were working on a team and things didn't go as expected and how did your correct it?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Interview

Submitted my resume in a career fair, was interviewed by a group of engineers in the refinery.

Interview Questions

• They asked about 10 questions starting with the phrase: "Tell me about a time when...."   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Three Rivers, TX

Application

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy (Three Rivers, TX) in May 2011.

Interview

First took a mechanical aptitude test to qualify for interview. After receiving letter then interview is set up. Interview is a panel interview consisting of a representative from HR and three others from engineering, operations, and area managers. Each asked questions and took notes. They like for you to answer as swift as possible and be able to think on your feet. Each question was a scenario based question. What would you do if there was confrontation between co-worker? Name a time when you went above and beyond to get a job done? Name a time when you've taken short cuts? ( tell them you don't take short cuts)

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you've been overwhelmed with a job task and what did you do?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a confrontation arose at work?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Speak highly of safety and proper personal protectiob

IT Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Valero Energy (College Station, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

I spoke with a representative at the career fair and applied via our career center website. Then, I was invited to an on-campus interview. The interview was very straight forward and low-stress. The interviewer definitely seemed to want to be sure that personality would be a good fit.

Interview Questions

• Mostly straightforward behavioral questions. Nothing too bad.   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amarillo, TX

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Valero Energy (Amarillo, TX) in September 2010.

Interview

Great people, and the interview went really well. Some of the slated questions were strange, such as, "if you were to live your life over again, what would you do differently?'

Interview Questions

• If you were to live your life again, what would you do differently?   1 Answer

Went with another offer for more compensation.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Valero Energy (College Station, TX) in October 2010.

Interview

My interview was 2:1. Initially they asked me about the role and the company.They asked me about my undergraduate project and some extra curricular activities. They enquired about some of my certifications and some leadership skills. They asked me whether I knew about the responsibilities of the job. They asked me about some basic behavioural questions like why did you join the course you have joined??

Interview Questions

• If you were given a project and manager then reduces the budget by 50 % what would you do to complete the project in time with full features and best quality??   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy (Wilmington, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

Sign up through the website and receive an email for testing. Went and took the test. A month later, got an interview. 3 people interview me.