Valero Energy

2.8

Process Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beaumont, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2012.

Found through my school career fair, contacted me around two weeks later for an interview. After the interview it took around two more weeks to receive offer. Mostly behavioral based questions with an engineer as well as an HR representative. In all they were most likely looking for a laid back personality and how you would respond under pressure. In my opinion GPA didn't have to be too high but it is definitely recommended.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral based questions. Tell me a time when there was a conflict of interest within a group that you were in. Tell me a time where you went above and beyond. etc.   Answer Question

Internal Audit Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy.

I applied online to the posted job and was contacted via phone 1-2 weeks later. I then talked with HR to schedule a time that would work for me to come in and interview and meet some folks from the company. The onsite interview consisted of 4 total interviews (both formal and informal). First, I went out to lunch with two managers and talked about the position, the company, and my general responsibilities. Then I was given a tour of the campus in which I casually communicated with two other employees at Valero. Then it was on to another interview with two more employees and finally the last interview of the day included two directors.

Interview Questions
    • No real significant unexpected questions or difficult ones.   Answer Question

Intern - Hourly Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy.

At my school there is a huge career fair where the recruiters of nearly 800 companies around the world mingle with college students. There the students speak briefly to the company reps about their college experience so far and exchange resumes and business cards. If the recruiter likes a students personality then the student's resume will be kept for review after the fair. Later that evening the company recruiters will look over the resumes and filter the good ones based on previous work experience, GPA, and extra-curricular activities. Once a company has narrowed the candidates down to only a handful they will extend an invitation for an interview. The interviewers consisted of an older manger and a younger employee a few years out of college. They were very friendly and joked around throughout the interview to keep the mood light. If they like your personality, GPA, and previous work experience then they will offer you a job. Simple as that.

Interview Questions
    • None. The questions were straight forward.   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Interview

The cultures was great. High tech interviewing via Skype and in -office. Small staff. Modern amenities. Professional and quick hire turn around. However, all interviewees were not able to mKe the interview. The most difficult question is the dreaded, tell us about yourself". However, There were not any unrxpecteed questions.

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy.

There is only one 1:1 Interview. Prior to this there is a screening at the university career fair. Mostly resume walk through, with couple of questions on your technical background. My interview was mostly conversational. Overall a really good experience. Know your resume well!

Chemical Engineer Interview

They were all behavioral based questions. In my interview at school they had two recruiters interviewing me. I got the interview after talking to them at the career fair. They were nice guys and it was a good interview. Just make sure you have a bunch of stories or experiences prepared to share that you can apply to any question that they may ask.

Interview Questions
    • What is one time you received criticism and how did you handle it?
      What is one time someone wanted to go against the rules and how did you handle it?

Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Basic hiring process. Interviewer will ask you about your background and why you chose to become an Electrical Engineer. Then the interviewer will ask you some behavioral questions and about your location preferences. Near the end of the interview, you will be given time to ask any questions regarding the position/company/specific sites.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you've worked with an uncooperative person. What did you do to resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy.

I took the assessment exam took 4 weeks to hear anything back. Got a call to come in for an interview. Interview was a behavior question type interview with 4 people asking questions. First interview was on a friday and got a call on Tuesday to come in for a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell a time when you had to dork with a difficult person and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Environmental Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Valero Energy.

Applied Online and visited booth and campus held career fair. Handed my resume in person to their recruiter and received an email through my University with times for an interview on campus.

Marine Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in April 2012.

3 stage process all formal interviews. each interview with a panel of 2/3 interviewers. Thorough questioning and competency assessment. prompt detailed feedback and timely communications received. overall a reasonably pain free process.