Valero Energy Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
47 interviews

2.8

Marine Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Valero Energy in April 2012.

3 stage process all formal interviews. each interview with a panel of 2/3 interviewers. Thorough questioning and competency assessment. prompt detailed feedback and timely communications received. overall a reasonably pain free process.

Mechanical Engineer Intern I Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Bossier City, LA
    Anonymous Employee in Bossier City, LA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

My university hosted a career fair, and Valero had a booth. I went by and spoke to the representative there. He was very friendly and generated interest in his company. He answered all of my questions concisely and genuinely. I left them my resume. A few days later I was contacted about an interview that would be performed on campus. The man I'd met at the booth was also conducting the interviews. The interview process was relaxed and informal. I didn't feel that it was a grilling like some interviews can be, but rather an initial evaluation of whether or not I would be a fit for the company and vice verse. I did not receive an offer, but I consider it a valuable and positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • We were sitting in the third floor of a 16 floor building. After asking me about my experiences with working within a group the interviewer suddenly asked me, "How many pennies would it take to stack as high as this building?"   View Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Valero Energy in May 2014.

Put in application around 2am got a call 12 hours later. Did a interview 3 days later with store manager and area manager. The interview was your typical hourly job process managed to get paid a little more from the area manager (7.50 was starting asked for 8 and got it) Got hired and was told to wait for a call. Now here comes the worst part I had to wait 3 weeks to finally start working! The reason the background check took so long was because of my prior military service (the average wait is a week) By that time the store manager that hired me had transferred to another store and a new manager
    had just come in (and she has no idea how that particular store operates) I had to call the HR department to finally get cleared to start working! I never had that to do that ever for a low paying minimum wage job ever till now!
    I would not recomend this job to anyone unless they were desperate and even that good luck

Offered 7.50 but i asked for 8.00 and got it

Plant Engineer Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Valero Energy.

Received a call directly from the company, not from the corporation HR business. The process was normal, schedule a phone interview directly with the Plant Engineer Manager, so there was no pre filter of Human Resources. The one hour interview was a mix of behavioral and technical questions. Most technical were about resume, the behavioral were normal questions. Easy going and very respectful.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was how they changed from a very technical question to a very behavioral question again and again. Know the corporate business, the specific company department, safety questions and be strong on your technical skills from your resume. Question like "can you tell me about a time when you led..." or "what is the ultimate goal of your career..." etc.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Valero Energy in April 2010.

The person I interviewed with was great!! He could come of as a little rude, but I realized pretty quick that he suffered from bipolar disorder. Because I suffer from that, as well as, my boyfriend, I knew how to handle the interview. Most of the time he was great. He asked open questions rather than questions where I could answer yes/no. Avoid yes/no answers!

Interview Questions
    • Do you know about the community works Valero participates in?   View Answer
    I had to call constantly and ask the manager about my status. He later told me he was not going to hire me, but because I kept calling, he gave me a shot. Then he said something that made me smile! He said: "I'm so happy you continued to call. I see you advancing in the company very quickly. I'm glad I got to train you."

Retail Systems Support Level I Interview

Process took about three months. One phone interview followed by two on site interviews. The interviews were pretty basic, knowledge of enterprise systems

Maintenance Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Paulsboro, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paulsboro, NJ

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Valero Energy in August 2010.

Had several interviews with all upper management also had to complete several tests

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle the following situation: You and your supervisor are not agreeing on a path forward what would you do.   View Answer
    They offered a salary and bonus options

Intern Interview

This had a basic behavioral portion, then the standard hire on type information. As an intern I did not have much experience, so I focused on my teamwork acheivments.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest weakness, and how will this affect your performance within Valero.   Answer Question

Chemical Engineering Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 7 months - interviewed at Valero Energy.

45 minute interview, they take a very long time to get back to you

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Valero Energy.

I was a contractor and I knew someone so I didn't have to go through an intense interview

Interview Questions
    They were very firm on the offer amount

Worked for Valero Energy? Contribute to the Community!