Valero Energy Interview Questions

Updated Oct 9, 2014
Updated Oct 9, 2014

2.8

Communications Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Five women interviewed me one after another and being that I am a male, they were not too interested. The department consisted of all women and they ended up hiring a female, as well. Pretty biased if you ask me. Also, it would be nice if they were actually welcoming.

Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

Extremely uncomfortable interview. They were working in short blocks of time and made you feel extremely rushed. The man interviewing seemed completely uninterested in my resume as he began firing off behavior based questions off of a pre made template. The questions bounced around and were completely unrelated to each other. A few of the questions required such specific answers that I am not sure how anyone was able to answer them. The man acted like he did not even want to be there.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me in great detail about a time when you were unclear of the instructions given to you.   View Answer

SAP SD Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

They are very careful when they select people, it seems the salary they offer is too low, so they have been looking for the right candidate for almost a year. It seems that everything is perfect in this company and no issues or troubles at all, impossible!

Interview Questions
    • It was a pretty technical question regarding VOFM pricing.   View Answer

Mechanical Engineer Intern I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bossier City, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bossier City, LA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

My university hosted a career fair, and Valero had a booth. I went by and spoke to the representative there. He was very friendly and generated interest in his company. He answered all of my questions concisely and genuinely. I left them my resume. A few days later I was contacted about an interview that would be performed on campus. The man I'd met at the booth was also conducting the interviews. The interview process was relaxed and informal. I didn't feel that it was a grilling like some interviews can be, but rather an initial evaluation of whether or not I would be a fit for the company and vice verse. I did not receive an offer, but I consider it a valuable and positive experience.

Interview Questions
    • We were sitting in the third floor of a 16 floor building. After asking me about my experiences with working within a group the interviewer suddenly asked me, "How many pennies would it take to stack as high as this building?"   View Answer

Process Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy in September 2013.

The process was like any standard internship interview. They followed the STAR method, no technical questions. They filled out a form with my answers. Interviewer was kind and sincere. No questions asking me how much I knew about the company. A good amount of time at the end was left for my questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time instructions were unclear and you had to seek out further advice.   Answer Question

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Three Rivers, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Three Rivers, TX

I applied online – interviewed at Valero Energy in June 2013.

Prescreening by HR personnel followed by phone interview by hiring manager then invited to the refinery for onsite interview and facility tour. After onsite interview, received email asking to complete three 200 question Hogan assessments. Apparently, I was a strong candidate but took 16 days before I heard I was 'no longer being considered'.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time that you were working on a team and things didn't go as expected and how did your correct it?   Answer Question

Process Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in April 2013.

Sign up through the website and receive an email for testing. Went and took the test. A month later, got an interview. 3 people interview me.

Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Valero Energy.

College recruiting event and met the hiring manager. Show passion about getting the internship. Good GPA a must. Network with the accounting professors (They know a lot of people) What do you know about Valero?

No negotiation. Fixed pay

Associate Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Valero Energy.

Submitted my resume in a career fair, was interviewed by a group of engineers in the refinery.

Interview Questions
    • They asked about 10 questions starting with the phrase: "Tell me about a time when...."   Answer Question

IT Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Valero Energy in January 2013.

Used an head hunter so most of the communication was through them.